• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sparrow

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
So I have doubt about a medicine given by my vet ( first time visiting a vet)
The situation is my baby sparrow is having a fever as told by the vet and the medicine which he gave me is
Is it ok to feed??

IMG_20230526_182444.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Wsoul Not a vet but I'd be very careful with that. The sparrow is so tiny and I wouldn't feel all that comfortable giving one drop.
How did the vet determine that your sparrow has a fever? Meloxicam is an anti inflammatory and it's usually given to alleviate pain and inflammation.
I have used it (Metacam...same as Meloxicam) with birds but larger than the sparrow.
Is your bird presenting with any symptoms that are concerning to you?

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
@Wsoul Not a vet but I'd be very careful with that. The sparrow is so tiny and I wouldn't feel all that comfortable giving one drop.
How did the vet determine that your sparrow has a fever? Meloxicam is an anti inflammatory and it's usually given to alleviate pain and inflammation.
I have used it (Metacam...same as Meloxicam) with birds but larger than the sparrow.
Yes he is less active

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
He held the sparrow in his palms and felt his body temperature high then he took his weight and made a prescription and gave the medicine

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds' body temperature is generally about 105 to 106 degrees.
How old is the sparrow and what are you feeding him/her?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This website is a good resource for sparrows:

Here's more specific info on baby care:

There's a hand feeding recipe here. I used this for my sparrow but didn't add the egg or vitamins.
I don't remember now how old Spee was when he weaned. The first thing I gave him when I noticed
him picking at things was millet spray. When it seemed could eat that on his own I weaned him onto
finch seed, Mazuri Insectivore, and cooked mixed veggies (corn, peas and carrots). Every now and then
he would also get very small pieces of egg white and/or very small pieces of cashews.
He also had a small piece of cuttlebone available.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great news. Glad that he is doing well!

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
We are calling the pest control to spray our house down. Will it be safe for the birds?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We are calling the pest control to spray our house down. Will it be safe for the birds?
No it will not be safe for your bird at all. You will need to remove your bird from the property and not bring it back for quite some time- like 24 hrs preferably.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Can I give him a cuttlefish bone?
"Can" and "should" are two different questions. Yes you "can", but no, you probably "should not". The only reason that I say this is because the calcium in cuttlefish bone is not very bioavailable.