• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sparrow fledgling, need help (sad update #11)

Jogging around the block
I found this guy two seconds ago. It looks like a fledgling and I know you should just leave them be, but my dog was trying to eat it (but I didn’t let my dog put it in it’s mouth, no injuries possible from the dog)at first and then I noticed a possible injury. It was on the ground, and can’t fly, at all.
I’ll attatch photos, I’d appreciate input on if I should put him back where I found him or I should contact a wildlife rescue.
I have also now noticed he is sleepy and is infested with mites.
61BAFA84-8F0F-4597-9759-990D67EDAFF6.jpeg 5F0C6076-3303-40D1-9F26-02020ED5FD75.jpeg E7F76D6F-1BBC-482F-AD8F-8390976DC5F3.jpeg image.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope you haven’t taken him into your home where your birds are.

I’d put him back if you know or believe it’s parents are watching and hanging about, if not call wildlife rescue but I honest doubt they’ll help at all for a sparrow :(
The mites isn’t a good sign.

Jogging around the block
I hope you haven’t taken him into your home where your birds are.

I’d put him back if you know or believe it’s parents are watching and hanging about, if not call wildlife rescue but I honest doubt they’ll help at all for a sparrow :(
The mites isn’t a good sign.
I haven't, thank goodness.

I did end up putting him on the ground while I fed the sparrow flock, he called a lot and some other sparrows were calling back, so I assume they were his parents. He ran off to a bush and I can't find him now but I can hear him, I believe I saw a adult sparrow feed him though. He did have mites but he looked strong when released him, I hope he'll be ok.

Jogging around the block
Unfortunatley I had to take the little guy back, it was getting darker and colder, I saw him and approached him and he had about no energy. I'm trying to warm him up. I don't know when he was fed last, the bird I saw go over to him might have just looked.

Jogging around the block
He's much more active now I warmed him up, but if I put him outside I think he'll just cool down again.
I found a wildlife rehab that takes sparrows, but they're shut right now. I could get him in tomorrow, if he makes it through the night.
His crop is completely empty but his poops have a good about of formed brown fece, I'm not sure if I should be trying to feed or not. I haven't got a feeding response yet.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Mites are never a good sign. I found a bird nest crawling with them luckily 2 of the 3 survived. I felt bad about the one. In the future if you see mites on a bird it's an indication something is wrong and help is needed. I am so glad you found a wildlife center willing to take the baby sparrow! Sending prayers he/she makes it!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Try letting him eat on his own- he’s a fledging baby so he should be close to moving on by himself so should be able to eat on his own. Try maybe some soft cooked veggies or rice, maybe some millet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please please don’t take that bird inside where yours are. Be very careful to wash up well and launder your clothes so you don’t spread mites to your guys.

Jogging around the block
I got him to eat a tiny bit of food through a no force feeding method, I would have tried to get him to eat more but the little guy just wanted to rest. I really wish I had some real formula, but I guess soaked dog biscuits is better than nothing. His poops still look good, so I am hopeful he has enough food for tonight.
I'm really glad that I found a Wildlife rehab that should take him if he can survive for a couple more hours.

Jogging around the block
He passed this morning. He was slightly weaker and had no feeding response, and additional heat still didn't save him. He didn't look like he starved from the poops, and he was still heated , was fully feathered too. Maybe it was the fleas, maybe something else, I'm not sure. I found him after the Wildlife rehab shut for the day, and he would have frozen if he stayed outside out of the nest. Poor thing.

Blueberry

Real Name
Lulu
Those are definitely mites as I've seen them before on birds( and it was diagnosed as mites) :/. Mites are parasites and suck blood from its host. The fledgling probably lost blood volume. I am very sorry the little one died. I'd still ask the wildlife rehab if their was anything you could do in the future if you find yourself in a similar situation. I know when taking a bird in with mites the first thing they do is treat for the mites.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I'm sorry about losing the little guy. I have never used it on small birds, but I have used diatomaceous earth on chickens with success on mites. Probably would not have made a difference in him but maybe in the future. I would definitely NOT use it on parrots. without consulting a vet first.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry he didn´t make it :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry the lil guy was too sick to make it. Least he died in a safe place. Head did look infested with possible abscess pustules or maybe that was just dirt & sand.
Could have had eggs laid in skin or bites caused blood poisoning. Could have been alot of things. They still look big for mites.

Thank you for trying to help & giving him a comfortable place to rest in his last hours.

:sadhug2: :sorrow:

Jogging around the block
I was out picking roses for his burial and I saw another little sparrow fledgling hop into the bushes.. I guess it's fledging time. No more dog outside off leash & hoping for warm nights.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
Burial always reminds me of my bad hatchings, IK im super late but im so sorry for your loss, we know you were just doing the right thing. It was not your fault at all, I love how you take care of the little babies all around you!