• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sparrow broken toe help

rdanariaa

Moving in
i found a sparrow with a broken toe and its bleeding and the broken part is like hanging off? Its been super quiet and it has its broken toe-leg up and its fluffed and its been closing its eyes like sleeping and im not sure what to do. please help.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Find a wildlife rehabber or avian vet that will work with wildlife.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street

rdanariaa

Moving in
no but occassionally it'll peck it and it might bleed again. the broken part looks like its just hanging by its skin. should i leave it? will the leg grow back again? Ive given it water and food

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
If the broken part is really hanging just by its skin, it might be irritated by the feeling of the hanging toe especially since the wound is still sensitive. You might be able to cut it off, but be extremely careful not to cut the other toes and apply antiseptic or use an alcohol swab on the blade so that you don't introduce germs to the unstable wound. Also get the cauterizing powder [whichever you are using] ready along with cotton swabs, in case the movement causes the wound to start bleeding again. The toe won't grow back.

Of course the best option is really to bring it to a vet, but if you can't then you'll have to care for it with what you can.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s the poor bird doing today? Thanks for trying to help!

Rupertsdad

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gil Banducci
I have a Sparrow my daughter and I raised after it fell from a nest as a little pink baby. He has become one of the family and loves people and our dog. yesterday he got his back toe caught on his cage and i think he broke it. He has become very quite now which is no where near normal for him. i don't know what do to help him. My vet wont treat him because they consider him a wild animal. I read how to treat the front toes by supergluing them together but what can I do for the back toe? Please help me so I can help him. This little guy is our baby and very loved.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I have a Sparrow my daughter and I raised after it fell from a nest as a little pink baby. He has become one of the family and loves people and our dog. yesterday he got his back toe caught on his cage and i think he broke it. He has become very quite now which is no where near normal for him. i don't know what do to help him. My vet wont treat him because they consider him a wild animal. I read how to treat the front toes by supergluing them together but what can I do for the back toe? Please help me so I can help him. This little guy is our baby and very loved.
You should start your own thread, this one was posted in 2019, you’ll get more help if you have a post all to your self.

Is it actually broken, does he favor the foot and limp?
To treat a broken toe create a cast of non flexible plastic or thin metal, wrap it in vet wrap and wrap the foot to the cast with vet wrap. Not to tight, or the blood circulation can be cut off. The cast must be the shape of the foot with the claws hanging over it.
my pigeon was treated from a broken toe, the cast stayed on for 6 weeks.
Please take a picture of his cage, perhaps there is a safety flaw we could help with.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
I sorted through my photos and found a picture of the cast. This is Comet, he was a juvenile pigeon that self rescued himself to my loft. He’s worth $300 in vet bills. The cast, probably cost $5. Xrays cost more. It was his middle toe and was a dislocated break, and the joint near it has since fused. He can walk without a limp, but his toe doesn’t curl. D773F224-75A1-4CBD-8E07-CF5913F743D7.jpeg