• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Space heaters?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They may not revommend them around birds because if your bird is flighted they could land & get burnt. Buddy's flighted but only does when we make/persuade him. His wings have severe arthritis so when it's cold we try not to push it. He also doesn't land on the heater as it's not in his launch, land area. Plus he's never ever unsupervised when it's in use.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you. Are these safe for birds? I goggled Lasko heaters and found this.

Lasko heaters are not manufactured with any type of Teflon / PTFE parts or materials. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us." But on their FAQ page, they do not recommend using it around birds.-[/QUOTE

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
The only one I have used is the first one I posted and it still looks like Amazon has it out of stock. I cannot vouch from personal experience about any other heaters except the radiator oil which is safe for birds. Why cant you get that one?
Thank you so much for your time and input. While I was looking for a ceramic heater I actually ended up buying a DeLonghi oil heater for my porch. I have a very old one in my den and Kai was just fine with it last winter when the room temperature dropped a bit due to my deck doors. My daughter wanted to get me the Handy Heater (ceramic) plug in for my small den but I can not find any information on it regarding PTFE. I may just get another oil. I will definitely keep checking Amazon to see if the one you have becomes available. I always prefer to use a product that has been used by someone else. I don’t use the heaters as a main source of heat. I tend to run cold while my husband tends to run hot. If I need a bit more warmth in a room that he is not in I can put the heater on for a bit which is why I was looking for a small ceramic heater. I could just move it from room to room when needed. The closed in porch is not heated so the oil heater will work nice for the holidays when I have a lot of company and need extra room. Thanks again for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
It is not meant to be the only source of heat in a room but its a help to keep warm.
Oh I know. I don’t use the heaters as a main source of heat. I tend to run cold while my husband tends to run hot. If I need a bit more warmth in a room that he is not in I can put the heater on for a bit which is why I was looking for a small ceramic heater. I could just move it from room to room when needed. The closed in porch is not heated so the oil heater will work nice for the holidays when I have a lot of company and need extra room.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
They may not revommend them around birds because if your bird is flighted they could land & get burnt. Buddy's flighted but only does when we make/persuade him. His wings have severe arthritis so when it's cold we try not to push it. He also doesn't land on the heater as it's not in his launch, land area. Plus he's never ever unsupervised when it's in use.
Oh that would definitely make a lot of sense. Thank you. Sorry to hear of Buddy’s arthritis. Hope he doesn’t have a bad winter.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I have an oil canister DeLonghi. I used it all winter. I like the one that has a thermostat and it only ticked on when it needed to. I am speaking from a person who lives in the sub-tropics and the coldest is gets is 4-9C in the winter. So I can't say it is the best as the sole heat source in a very cold climate :)
Thank you. I just purchased one for my newly inclosed front porch which is not heated.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you all for your input. I ended up going with a Delonghi oil radiator for my closed in porch and am checking out some of the small ceramic heaters for my small den which I may or may not get. You have all been very helpful.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
For your knowledge.

I received an e-mail from customer service stating that the Handy Heater (ceramic heater) is PTFE free. I still feel more comfortable using a product that someone else has been using but thought I would pass this information on.