• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Space heaters?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Does anyone use space heaters or knows which ones are safe for birds? Would be greatfull for any suggestions.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The oil-filled electric heaters work well and are safe.
There are a number of brands. I've used Delongi's. Price range on Amazon and stores like Lowes/HomeDepot about $70-$120

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yup i have one of the oil filled heaters as well. They are really the best type of portable heater to use around birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yup i have one of the oil filled heaters as well. They are really the best type of portable heater to use around birds.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I have an old oil filled one in my den (DeLonghi, The incredible Heat Machine). I know it’s safe for Kai but was hoping to get something that blew the warm air out. I think I’ll get another oil filled. Thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I used to use the oil heater and put the air purifier behind it so that it would move the hot air about and away from the heater. Worked pretty good for my room till I got a proper wall heater put in.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
The oil-filled electric heaters work well and are safe.
There are a number of brands. I've used Delongi's. Price range on Amazon and stores like Lowes/HomeDepot about $70-$120
I have an old oil filled one in my den (DeLonghi, The incredible Heat Machine). I know it’s safe for Kai but was hoping to get something that blew the warm air out. I also wasn’t sure if the newer DeLongis were safe. I worry so about PTFE. I think I’ll get another DeLonghi oil filled. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I used to use the oil heater and put the air purifier behind it so that it would move the hot air about and away from the heater. Worked pretty good for my room till I got a proper wall heater put in.
We had our front porch closed in over the summer with lots of windows so we can still use it as a porch. We want to put a space heater on the porch during the holiday seasons so we have use of the porch during that time. If we had them install wall heaters when we had the porch closed in it would be considered another room added on and our taxes would go up. We were advised to put a separate outlet in for a heater in the winter and air conditioner in the summer which is what we did. I have a DeLongi oil heater in my den which is always the last room to heat up. It’s a very old heater. I wasn’t sure if the newer ones were safe.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Lasko has confirmed that they don't use pfoa ptfe.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Miss Mary check back on amazon periodically because that is what the usually say when out of stock. Popular item this time of year.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have an old oil filled one in my den (DeLonghi, The incredible Heat Machine). I know it’s safe for Kai but was hoping to get something that blew the warm air out. I think I’ll get another oil filled. Thank you.
Blowing the warm air out will also blow dust, feathers etc around. Worth to think about ;)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I goggled Lasko heaters and this is what I found.
Lasko heaters are not manufactured with any type of Teflon / PTFE parts or materials. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact us." But on their FAQ page, they do not recommend using it around birds.-

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The only one I have used is the first one I posted and it still looks like Amazon has it out of stock. I cannot vouch from personal experience about any other heaters except the radiator oil which is safe for birds. Why cant you get that one?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have an oil canister DeLonghi. I used it all winter. I like the one that has a thermostat and it only ticked on when it needed to. I am speaking from a person who lives in the sub-tropics and the coldest is gets is 4-9C in the winter. So I can't say it is the best as the sole heat source in a very cold climate :)

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is not meant to be the only source of heat in a room but its a help to keep warm.