• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soundproofing?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Hey, it’s been a few years since I’ve logged in here but I’m glad to be back as I need some advice!

My boyfriend and I are moving into our own apartment together in late September (hopefully, we find out for sure if we got the apartment on Sunday). Which is wonderful and I’m so excited! However, it does raise the question of how im going to handle the move with my Canary-Wing Parakeet, Delilah. I absolutely adore her with my whole heart and really desperately want to bring her, but with the housing crisis in my state it’s socking enough that I was able to find a landlord willing to rent to college students without demonstrable, let alone one willing to let me bring my potentially loud bird with a pet deposit.
This is all to say I really need to find a way to cut down on her noise in order have secure housing; she’s not too, too loud and both she and I would be much happier with her living with me than living with my boyfriends parents an hour away for the year I’m leasing this place

Both my partner and I work evenings and nights when Delilah will be asleep so that already should really cut down on her contact calling, which are the main issue so I’m hopeful it will work out

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When I lived in a rental, the things I did were:

Keep my birds in a room that doesn't share a wall with a neighbor. If that's not doable, at least move them away from the shared wall.

Hung thick blankets in the room they are in. They help absorb the sound!

Play white noise or music to help drown out sounds they may want to respond to.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
The other thing I'd take into account is time.

What's considered an acceptable noise at noon could be too loud at 3:00 a.m. I'd check your lease to see if there are any quiet hours spelled out. But, whether it's stated or not, I'd try to manage Delilah's schedule so that the times when she's likely to be loudest are the times people would normally expect other loud noises.

My birds are against the wall that I share with my neighbor (not ideal, but the way my living room's set up, it was really the only way to fit in their cage). They're generally regarded as quiet birds, but they're noisiest at twilight and dawn.

Using blackout curtains, (a cage cover would work, too) and being quiet once it's their bedtime, I've managed to shift their hours so it's lights out no later than 8:30 pm and then we start the new day at around 7:15ish in the morning.