• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sort of urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Both of Charlie’s eyes are all red on the bottom in the corner

One side:

Other side:

And it
’s not just him that has this eye problem; 2 of my other ’tiels have red in the corner of their eyes as well like Charlie’s BUT it’s only one 1 side for them and not both *yet*. :(

I
’m taking Charlie to the Avian Vets (as much as I don’t want to go back there) tomorrow and telling her it’s not just Charlie, but 2 of my other ’tiels too.

But what could it be? conjunctivitis?

My mum done some research and there
’s something you can get called Ophthalmic Ointment but I assume the Avian Vet is probably going to give me antibiotics of some type. I’m going to be getting enough antibiotics to treat all 3 of them I hope.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I will send this in a link to Susanne, she is usually up around 6 a.m. EST. Sending good energy for healing:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh wow, that looks very sore. :( I'm so glad you are getting him to the vet! It might be good to ask for antibiotics to treat ALL your 'tiels (or maybe even all your birds if they have been in the same area as your 'tiels).

My Button Quail, Pirate, had Conjunctivitis and her one eye looked almost identical to Charlie's eyes. I was prescribed antibiotics for both my Button Quails because it is so contagious as well as some Saline and eye drops for Pirate's.

Make sure you wash your hands really well after handling your 'tiels. I even went as far as changing my clothes after feeding and medicating the Button Quails. I was terrified of spreading it to my other birds.

I hope you find an answer and that all your 'tiels will be fine! I'll be thinking of you and your flock! :hug8:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They’re separated from the rest. (have been for a bit). I took Charlie out (separated him), thinking something’s maybe irritated his eye, and I started dabbing warm water on it and checking if anything is in it, but nothing and it’s only just started getting worse within the past 2 days, and then Shiro’s eye started getting red so I put him in with Charlie, and then Freddy (of all birds!) got the red eye too, so I put him in with Charlie and Shiro.

I’ve been sanitizing my hands really well after changing the bottom of their cage and changing their food and water, but this is the first time I’ve picked Charlie up since his eyes have gone like that. I haven’t touched the other 2 either, I feel so horrible, but I’m way too scared of passing it onto my others.

I
’m 100% sure she’ll give me enough to treat them though, I mean, you can’t treat one and not the others.. Charlie is the worst out of the 3 though, so that’s why I want to take him in. If she wants me to take the other 2 in as well, then I’ll take them in too.

Last edited:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I'm glad you're getting them to an Avian Vet. It could mean so much when their eyes are like that... It could be from a simple irritation, upper respiratory disease, or Chlamydiphila infection. Have you used any new household products around the house? It's going to be a changing of seasons and there are always new allergies during this time.

Sending you well thoughts! :hug8:Please keep us updated after you have seen your vet.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yup it looks like something contagious...glad you are getting them to a vet..hopefully Susanne will see this soon as well.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If you go to the vet you can ask the vet to make you an eye spray. Read pg 5 of the giant tumor posting in 911, which has some info as to the recipe to mix it. I would ask the vet for some topical treatments first, and the vet can send a culture from the eye.

But what it looks like to me is either some type of environmental irratant, or a nutritional problem.

Whoa...don't get upset as to that comment. I was just thinking of you and your birds, and the recent problems with weight loss etc last night. I've been down that road, and there is something you currently do that if you stop doing it things might improve. You are on a couple of forums I am on and you have read my viewpoints of any type of preventative treatments in water. I recently added my comments in the Adverse reactions to ACV thread. My thoughts are that if the intestinal flora was out of balance in the GI tract, or even some slight damage this could also impair with proper nutrient absorption.

What would help in addition to a topical treatment would be probiotics and some Beta Carotene. Beta carotene is converted to useable Vit A in the body and would help the membranes of the eyes.

If it is disease related, I beleive I had posted previously that giardia or a intestinal parasite problem can also contribute to inflamations such as those you posted.

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
Please give us an update on your fabies. Hope it is nothing too serious!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Well, I ended up taking Shiro, Freddy and Charlie into the Avian Vets.

Charlie & Freddy have Psittacosis. Shiro has Giardia (sp) and I am treating him for Psittacosis too.

I actually have to treat all my birds, so this is going to be fun. Shiro, Freddy and Charlie have to go back to the Avian Vets in 10 days time so she can re-check them and see if the
Psittacosis and Giardia is clearing up. She also said that Shiro's weight is perfect, not overweight and not underweight, so was happy to hear that too..

Last edited:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
I am glad that you got to the bottom of the problem and that it is something treatable - a pain in the neck - but treatable. Hugs to you and scritches for the fids:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Well, I ended up taking Shiro, Freddy and Charlie into the Avian Vets.

Charlie & Freddy have Psittacosis. Shiro has Giardia (sp) and I am treating him for Psittacosis too.

I actually have to treat all my birds, so this is going to be fun. Shiro, Freddy and Charlie have to go back to the Avian Vets in 10 days time so she can re-check them and see if the
Psittacosis and Giardia is clearing up. She also said that Shiro's weight is perfect, not overweight and not underweight, so was happy to hear that too..
Oh my, that is very serious. Please do be careful.
From wiki
"From 2002 through 2007, 91 human cases of psittacosis were reported to the Centers for Disease Control and most resulted from exposure to infected pet birds, usually cockatiels, parakeets, parrots, and macaws. Many more cases may occur that are not correctly diagnosed or reported. Bird owners, pet shop employees, zookeepers and veterinarians are at risk of the infection."
Psittacosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will be keeping you and your fids in my thoughts and prayers.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah, she explained to me about how dangerous it is. I only just went to the Dr 6 days ago to find out I have Bronchitis and an ear infection, and the AV said it could have been from the birds.

Im being extra clean, meaning sanitizing my hands 2-3 times after touching any bird/cage/dishes etc.

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
Sure do hope all the meds will clear everything up very quickly with no complications.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sorry to hear that. Please do not expose yourself to any friends birds, petstores or any place where birds might be while your birds are sick.

If you have visited friends birds pleas notify them so they can have their birds check out too so they can catch it early if the disease has been passed to them.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks John!

I haven’t (funny enough) been to a pet store in ages, I’m keeping clear of them and I’m not even tempted. :o: I have a friend with birds (Cockatiels), but he hasn’t brought them over in ages, I don’t see him much these days. I’ll be letting him know though, and telling him not to bring them over in case at some stage he does want to. :)

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm glad you've got the diagnosis, when I saw the picture, that was my first thought. Fortunately, while it is zoonotic (animals->people) it's pretty straightforward, if a PITA, to treat once you know what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.