• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Soooo...I guess I have pet mice now?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just got an order of mice in for the new noodle, since I only had two left, and when I opened the box to start piling them in the freezer, I found three live mice in the mix!

They're still young, about a quarter the size of a fully grown mouse, and SO cute. Certainly pet quality.

I've grown accustomed to handling dead rats and mice after having Sam so long, but there's no way I could kill them myself, and especially not a bunch of little babies. And I DEFINITELY am not a live-feeder.

So I guueeeessss I have three little mice now.

Alright.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww they´re cute! I bet they are so scared though :(

You should put in a complaint, it´s a little cruel of them if you ask me.

I´m glad you will let them live :bluhug:

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
They're so cute!! :xflove: I can't believe they were put in the box! How does that happen?

I'm glad you're keeping them. I don't know how mice are as pets but I've always had a soft spot for them. A few months ago I disturbed a nest of wild ones while I was moving hay at the barn and was scrambling around trying to catch all of the Hershey-kiss sized baby mice to put them back in their nest. :laugh:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG this makes me really worry about how the other mice are killed - I wonder how many are frozen while still alive :(

I'm glad you're keeping them. Mice are cool little creatures. You'll need to make sure they're all of the same sex - mice can breed from an absurdly young age. Male mice will usually fight if kept together, but I think females are alright together. They need a nice roomy cage and it's important not to use pine or cedar shavings as those can cause respiratory problems. Hardwood (like aspen) or paper is fine.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww they´re cute! I bet they are so scared though :(

You should put in a complaint, it´s a little cruel of them if you ask me.

I´m glad you will let them live :bluhug:
OMG this makes me really worry about how the other mice are killed - I wonder how many are frozen while still alive :(

I'm glad you're keeping them. Mice are cool little creatures. You'll need to make sure they're all of the same sex - mice can breed from an absurdly young age. Male mice will usually fight if kept together, but I think females are alright together. They need a nice roomy cage and it's important not to use pine or cedar shavings as those can cause respiratory problems. Hardwood (like aspen) or paper is fine.
You can bet that I definitely called him in a haze of confusion, lol. He was mortified!!
He's as bewildered as I am that they were in there, since all the pre-killed mice were large adults per the needs of my snake, and these three are nowhere near large enough. He also kills feeder mice with gas, as it's regarded as the most humane method, and they couldn't have gone in with them by accident and survived. He couldn't imagine how they got in, and I can't think of any scenarios either. It's so weird.

Rest assured, I have plenty for them just by virtue of the fact that I never get rid of any pet supplies I buy, and I've had pet mice before! These wee cuties are in a 30 gallon full of aspen shavings, with wooden structures to run and play in. I just picked up a bag of food for them too, so they're set until I can buy them more stuff.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
These wee cuties are in a 30 gallon full of aspen shavings, with wooden structures to run and play in. I just picked up a bag of food for them too, so they're set until I can buy them more stuff.
That´s awesome. Those mice are so lucky to miss death so narrowly and to end up with you.
Please post plenty of pictures! :D
I had mice when I was younger. They were called Gizmo and Mogwai :loveshower:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Aww they are cute, so glad you’re keeping them!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to throw out an update and say that Ricotta and Pepper are doing great!

Tragically, little Marble didn't survive. She got wobbly and weak and passed away shortly after she got removed from the box, which makes me think maybe they DID pass through the gas chamber and somehow make it out. Or something. Her siblings are doing fine and showing no signs of ill health.

They sure are cute!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear about Marble, but glad that Ricotta and Pepper are thriving! They're lucky little mice to have ended up with such a knowledgeable, kind person. I hope they're enjoying all the toys and foraging activities you've no doubt given them :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They are sooo cute!!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear about Marble, but glad that Ricotta and Pepper are thriving! They're lucky little mice to have ended up with such a knowledgeable, kind person. I hope they're enjoying all the toys and foraging activities you've no doubt given them :)
I've gotta take a picture of their setup soon! They're some adorable little meese.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww I´m sorry the third mouse didn´t make it. But I am glad the other two are thriving!

I can´t wait to see the pictures (please include more pics of the mice with the setup:xflove:)

Those mice hit the jackpot and they don´t even know it ❤❤

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I´m sorry the third mouse didn´t make it. But I am glad the other two are thriving!

I can´t wait to see the pictures (please include more pics of the mice with the setup:xflove:)

Those mice hit the jackpot and they don´t even know it ❤❤
This is their current setup. I'm not a huge fan, they need a WAY bigger enclosure so I can fit more fun stuff in there for them. They're enjoying it, though.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww he so cute :D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh.. I don't know how I missed this thread! What a surprise. I'm glad you're keeping them and sorry the little one didn't make it. I was going to call Dibs on the one spotted one with the all white face but the names you've chosen are cute!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Somehow I missed this thread till now.

So glad they ended up at your house.....bet they are too!!

I’m sorry to hear that one of them didn’t make it :(

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
So cute! If mice didn’t smell so much I’d have some setup. Most likely the little one died from some kind of internal trauma from the shipping or a pack of mice slid into him. The gas chambers are co2 and you have to remove them to put in a bag to the freezer, so you don’t really miss live ones. He probably had some recent escapees in the house that thought the dark box was a good hiding place before he closed it up. I bet he double checks each box now lol