• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soon to be tiel owner

Rio&Molly19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsey
This may be a bit long, i apologize.

Hello! Today I will be going to pick up my first two tiels today. As far as I know I will be the third owner of Rio and Molly. The current owner is not sure of the ages. Shes had them for about a month as she rescued them. The first owner (not sure if they are the first) never handled them or tamed them. I was told Rio had got out of his cage and the owner grabbed him and pulled out alot of feathers. The current owner said when she received Rio and molly, Rio was terrified and bleeding from the capture previously. Current owner does not really handle them and their wings are not trimmed. She said they will allow her to change food and water bowls and to clean. She also leaves the door open if they want to come out. But they have not since they have been with her. I wanted Rio and Molly because I've always wanted a cockatiel. And also I'm a stay at home mom who can interact with them alot. I'm hoping I can gain their trust in the long run. I was also told that they have been mating but no eggs have been laid. Do I separate them? Keep them together? I really just need some tips to get by on when I bring them home. I know it will take time for them to adjust. But how can I help by letting them know I'm not going to harm them. I'm excited but nervous lol

Attachments

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
Beautiful glad you are taking them

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Definitely keep them together. They're bonded and in a strange new place with a strange new parront.
They won't mate for a while either, until they settle in and get comfortable. As long as you leave nowhere for nesting (nesting boxes, coconut shells, boxes or anything enclosed) they shouldn't produce eggs, or maybe just one. If you do get an egg you can either replace with a fake egg or quickly boil it and replace. Mating doesn't have to be a bad thing with a bonded pair.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome and thank you for taking them! Give them time to adjust to their new home - talk to them softly, don't force them to come out of their cages, offer them treats through the cage bars - they love millet. As they become more comfortable - they will learn to trust you. Don't separate them if they are a bonded pair. They may still mate but do not encourage it by giving them a nest box. You can always replace eggs with fake ones. Good luck!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What cuties! Thank you for taking them in and giving them a loving home. You might want to partially cover their cage for the first few days so they will be more at ease. Just take everything slow and at their pace, and eventually they will learn that you won’t harm them. Congratulations, and I can’t wait to hear updates on them!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for helping then. Just remember- time and patience. :) I'm sure they're come around soon.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That is so nice of you to take these little guys in.

Tiels are a joy, no matter if they are tame or not. You will have endless fun with them.

Take it slow, and just talk to them outside their cage. Give them a treat, now and then, in their food container.

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Best of luck to getting your new birds!
I didnt get them last night, but hopefully will going to get them today. I was so heartbroken yesterday when I couldnt get them lol
I'd be pretty disappointed too!