• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Something's Wrong with His Preen Gland, Right?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know what you mean about birds that are more hands off. It is easier to miss these things. I would also get this little one to the vet for a professional opinion.

Story of our experience below which you may read if it is helpful, but please note it doesn't have a happy ending.

We had a rescue chicken, Nova, who was very fearful of humans from her past experiences. We respected her space and never forced anything. Then one day we saw something on her wing. Captured her for a closer look and it was cancer that was all under her wing and into her side. Very sad. She passed away a few days later. I am hoping this isn't the case for you. But sometimes we do miss things and you can't punish yourself for that. Some birds prefer birds and it is respectful to give them that. You didn't do anything wrong

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I know what you mean about birds that are more hands off. It is easier to miss these things. I would also get this little one to the vet for a professional opinion.

Story of our experience below which you may read if it is helpful, but please note it doesn't have a happy ending.

We had a rescue chicken, Nova, who was very fearful of humans from her past experiences. We respected her space and never forced anything. Then one day we saw something on her wing. Captured her for a closer look and it was cancer that was all under her wing and into her side. Very sad. She passed away a few days later. I am hoping this isn't the case for you. But sometimes we do miss things and you can't punish yourself for that. Some birds prefer birds and it is respectful to give them that. You didn't do anything wrong
I know I am trying not to blame myself for not noticing it. You literally cant see it if he's just perching or moving around, he has to be bending just the right way and even then his wings sometimes block the view.
He's going in today. It's not a guarantee he'll be seen, but it's better then waiting till next week. I am thankful this wasn't last week, because the vet I prefer to see my birds was away (I trust all my vets to see my birds, but I have my preferances) this is the vet who will most likely be seeing Winston today.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I know I am trying not to blame myself for not noticing it. You literally cant see it if he's just perching or moving around, he has to be bending just the right way and even then his wings sometimes block the view.
He's going in today. It's not a guarantee he'll be seen, but it's better then waiting till next week. I am thankful this wasn't last week, because the vet I prefer to see my birds was away (I trust all my vets to see my birds, but I have my preferances) this is the vet who will most likely be seeing Winston today.
I'm glad you're taking him in.
Better safe than sorry :)

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Good luck! Keep us posted! :sadhug2::grouphug:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
My brain is barely working today, so bare with me.
Mr. Floof has been examined by the vet (and behaved himself quite well considering!) Due to his age she doesn't think it's something like a tumor. At this point she's recommending a brief anaesthetic (not today, at a point to be decided) to remove it. If my vet is confident doing an anaesthetic on him, I guess I am ok with that (I mean obviously my anxiety will be through the roof, but what other options are there?)
I am still very new to this whole taking birds to the vet thing (not something I was really taught was a thing), so if any of this sounds wrong please let me know and I can talk to my vet about it.
My mind keeps going to the worst case scenario, I don't want to lose another so soon :sad1:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mr. Floof has been examined by the vet (and behaved himself quite well considering!) Due to his age she doesn't think it's something like a tumor. At this point she's recommending a brief anaesthetic (not today, at a point to be decided) to remove it. If my vet is confident doing an anaesthetic on him, I guess I am ok with that (I mean obviously my anxiety will be through the roof, but what other options are there?)
I am still very new to this whole taking birds to the vet thing (not something I was really taught was a thing), so if any of this sounds wrong please let me know and I can talk to my vet about it.
My mind keeps going to the worst case scenario, I don't want to lose another so soon :sad1:
That's encouraging that she doesn’t think it's a tumor. I think it makes sense to briefly put him under to get it all taken care of. I'm confident that all will go well. *hugs to him and you during this stressful time*

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey. I understand anxiety going through the roof and all that. You’ll be alright! And as far as not taking them to the vet, or taking them to the vet, I know a lot of people still don’t believe in taking them. It sounds like your baby is in good hands. Keep us posted!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What does your vet want to remove? The whole gland or just clean it up and get a better look?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What does your vet want to remove? The whole gland or just clean it up and get a better look?
That's one of the things I want to clarify, it was probably obvious what she meant but again my brain is real slow today. We haven't set a day yet so I'll get another chance to talk to her later today.

ems08

Walking the driveway
It seems like enough gunk there that a light anasthetic to clean it up might be less stressful for a hands-off bird, than not being sedated for the process. That's just how I would justify the anasthetic risks if it was my little one.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
From the pictures I can see you have something big enough there to need removal. Removal or there is a real possibility when they go to remove it it will drain instead.
This needs to be done as it is probably pretty painful.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
From the pictures I can see you have something big enough there to need removal. Removal or there is a real possibility when they go to remove it it will drain instead.
This needs to be done as it is probably pretty painful.
Removal it is, I guess.
I didn't get to have my second chat with the vet yesterday, cause my afternoon/evening didn't go to plan. My vet will be in contact to decide a day though, that might be sometime next week.
I would think it's painfully too, but he seems completely unfazed. No extra preening or anything.
I'd never seen my Winston as angry as he was yesterday! He was trying to use brute budgie force to bust out of his carrier, also taught himself how to slam sliding cage doors (I stopped that pretty quick, but he still kept trying!)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Just wanted to say thank you guys for your helpful comments and support. I am feeling better today so that helps with the whole situation, also the fact that Winston himself is still behaving like a normal happy budgie. Watching LJ slowly decline despite everything I was doing was really hard.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to say thank you guys for your helpful comments and support. I am feeling better today so that helps with the whole situation, also the fact that Winston himself is still behaving like a normal happy budgie. Watching LJ slowly decline despite everything I was doing was really hard.
I get that. Do you know yet when this procedure will happen? Next week?