• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Something's Wrong with His Preen Gland, Right?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I got a glimpse earlier today and have been stalking him with a camera ever since cause it's really hard to see. Should I be catching him to have a look? I don't want to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. And how urgent would this be? It's still really hard to get vet appointments atm.
20221201_160527.jpg
20221201_160617.jpg 20221201_160602.jpg 20221201_160542.jpg 20221201_154231.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Has he been picking at it?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Has he been picking at it?
Not that I have seen, I only noticed it when he was doing acrobatic. You can't see it unless he is bending just the right way.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I feel sure the correct response here is “vet.”
You could do nothing, since it doesn’t seem to bother him.
If it was my bird, I would catch him, examine it closely, and apply warm compresses. Assuming it’s just clogged.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I feel sure the correct response here is “vet.”
You could do nothing, since it doesn’t seem to bother him.
If it was my bird, I would catch him, examine it closely, and apply warm compresses. Assuming it’s just clogged.
Ok, I'll have a go catching him a little later. He won't like it and neither will I...
If I can avoid vet I would like to, it's so hard to get an appointment.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It looks quite large to me, I would be catching him to take a look and also possibly booking a vet appointment.

Birdie had a blocked preening gland when I got him and it was huge like a cyst, warm compress and massage was what I did to clear it- no wonders he wants to eat me lol.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Birdie had a blocked preening gland when I got him and it was huge like a cyst, warm compress and massage was what I did to clear it- no wonders he wants to eat me lol.
If it was Quarter we'd be going to the vet, he can bite someone other than me...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bulky towel was what Birdie got to bite which he only did a little bit once or twice- he literally had no energy to fight me or complain about anything when I got him, I was actually able to do it all on my own.
I keep a check on his gland now and hope to the birdie gods that it does not get blocked or infected again cos I do not think I would be able to wrestle him on my own for warm compress and massage without a nip or two, he moves so much better, faster and more calculated than before.

Can you get someone to help you so you can at least get a good look at what is going on and a pic to compare it to in the next few days?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
It looks quite large to me, I would be catching him to take a look and also possibly booking a vet appointment.

Oh jeez, didn’t think this was even a thing

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
you get someone to help you so you can at least get a good look at what is going on and a pic to compare it to in the next few days?
This is the downside to having birds you don't handle, you miss things :(
What do I need to be doing? I just took my pics and let him go, he stresses easily and needed a break.
20221201_174519.jpg 20221201_174507.jpg 20221201_174444.jpg 20221201_174431.jpg

Attachments

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
It's too late for me to organise anything now, but I'll talk to someone early tomorrow. They might be able to fit him in...
I was already stressing enough about tomorrow, now to add this on top :(

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry! Yeah, I don't like to have to take any of the boys to the vet. It's honestly easier for me to get Opie to go than the budgies because I have to catch them. Opie steps up on a rope perch, which makes that easier. I hope your day goes as smoothly as possible!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m sorry! But that looks really icky. You could try the warm compresses thing first? But honestly I’d be on my way to the vet. (Well, they’re all backed up here too. But as soon as they said yes.)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Oh poor thing I hope you and him are ok

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I’m sorry! But that looks really icky. You could try the warm compresses thing first? But honestly I’d be on my way to the vet. (Well, they’re all backed up here too. But as soon as they said yes.)
If it's a vet thing, it's a vet thing. Maybe if he can't be seen I'll try the compresses, currently waiting to hear back.