• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Something's Wrong with His Preen Gland, Right?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Glad he got seen and feeling better keep us updated

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just seeing this thread. Very glad you're getting vet help. I understand completely about hands off birds. One of the emergency vets here sees birds. I wonder if this would be considered an emergency, given the pain factor, & your vet could send you to an emergency for earlier treatment.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I get that. Do you know yet when this procedure will happen? Next week?
I can't say when it'll happen, I would think sometime next week (if I want to guess maybe Tuesday?).
The vet wants to be prepared and have a plan for what she will be doing, because obviously it's not something that should be rushed.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Just seeing this thread. Very glad you're getting vet help. I understand completely about hands off birds. One of the emergency vets here sees birds. I wonder if this would be considered an emergency, given the pain factor, & your vet could send you to an emergency for earlier treatment.
My vet clinic does run as a 24/7 emergency. I think she may be seeing it as not super urgent because it's not currently bothering him.
Their clinic was also recently flooded so they are working out of two different locations in two different towns. They're trying to catch up on several weeks worth of missed appointments/surgeries as well as doing already booked appointments and emergencies! She needs to make sure wherever she does it that she has all the necessary equipment etc.
And honestly there is no other vet around me I'd trust to do this. I've had bad experiences with some of the vets near me.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
My vet clinic does run as a 24/7 emergency. I think she may be seeing it as not super urgent because it's not currently bothering him.
Their clinic was also recently flooded so they are working out of two different locations in two different towns. They're trying to catch up on several weeks worth of missed appointments/surgeries as well as doing already booked appointments and emergencies! She needs to make sure wherever she does it that she has all the necessary equipment etc.
And honestly there is no other vet around me I'd trust to do this. I've had bad experiences with some of the vets near me.
How’s he doing did he go back to vets

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
How’s he doing did he go back to vets
He doing fine, unfortunately no he hasn't been back. His vet got covid last week :(
I'll catch him again today to check it and give them a call, I was working yesterday and didn't have time to do anything extra.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He doing fine, unfortunately no he hasn't been back. His vet got covid last week :(
I'll catch him again today to check it and give them a call, I was working yesterday and didn't have time to do anything extra.
Aw no that's so unfortunate I hope his vet will be ok and that once you catch him and check on him that it's somehow improved :heart:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
This is what it's like today, this is his preen gland, right? It's so weird...
It's still quite red, and understandably he squirms when if I touch it. I'll try and call later today or at least get a message left for the vet.
20221213_120356.jpg 20221213_120226.jpg 20221213_120206.jpg

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little thing. I imagine it’s painful to touch. It looks that way, anyway.

I’m sorry to hear that your vet contracted COVID. I hope that his (her?) practice has someone else who can step in.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor baby,that does look quite swollen and painful. Bless his little heart,I'm sorry that it's still looking like he'll need to have the procedure done. But that's encouraging at least that he doesn't seem to be picking at it so hopefully he'll continue to leave it alone.