• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Something's Not Right With Captain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
This might sound crazy and I am just brain storming here but are there windows and are they open? Do you think he/she might be hearing another bird calling? OR possable she had fright flight dream. I am guessing hope it helps.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if there's something outside the room that's spooking him? Olive won't want to go to sleep if it is windy and tree branches tap the windows, if a neighbor is being loud, if there's a dog barking, etc. Is it possible there's an animal outside the windows that HE can hear?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if you think something is off with him, I would take him to an avian vet....:hug8:and that room seems too cold..yes, birds in t he wild deal with it, but he is not a wild bird....

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Have you checked his bed out? Could there be some thing in it that's up setting him a small bug or has he pooped in it and done want to sleep in it. Or could be just like us sometimes bird just can't sleep. Is the any weather changes coming your way. I know my birds can tell if a storm is coming miles away long before we know it. Or there could be a new noise out side. But it don't sound like he sick. Could also be worried about you they pick up on everything we feel.
We had a very windy night last night, lots of rain, I did check to see if there was anything physically in his bed.

I just checked then there's nothing in there at all, no poo no nothing. He's still up I got him to step up gave him a couple of kisses put him in front of it, adjust it so it's easier to get onto I'll check him in another 5 see if he went back onto the branch is was on before or whether he's gone to bed.

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Have you checked his bed out? Could there be some thing in it that's up setting him a small bug or has he pooped in it and done want to sleep in it. Or could be just like us sometimes bird just can't sleep. Is the any weather changes coming your way. I know my birds can tell if a storm is coming miles away long before we know it. Or there could be a new noise out side. But it don't sound like he sick. Could also be worried about you they pick up on everything we feel.
We had a very windy night last night, lots of rain, I did check to see if there was anything physically in his bed.

I just checked then there's nothing in there at all, no poo no nothing. He's still up I got him to step up gave him a couple of kisses put him in front of it, adjust it so it's easier to get onto I'll check him in another 5 see if he went back onto the branch is was on before or whether he's gone to bed.

if you think something is off with him, I would take him to an avian vet....:hug8:and that room seems too cold..yes, birds in t he wild deal with it, but he is not a wild bird....
It's been colder and he lives in that room so I imagine that he's perfectly adjusted to the temperature, like humans animals adjust to the climates they're in.

I wonder if there's something outside the room that's spooking him? Olive won't want to go to sleep if it is windy and tree branches tap the windows, if a neighbor is being loud, if there's a dog barking, etc. Is it possible there's an animal outside the windows that HE can hear?
He's in a 2nd story room, overlooking out pool, no branches or anything, I can't hear any other animals or neighbors maybe he can though... Definitely no dogs barking though.

This might sound crazy and I am just brain storming here but are there windows and are they open? Do you think he/she might be hearing another bird calling? OR possable she had fright flight dream. I am guessing hope it helps.
LOTS of windows, every wall has a window they make up 90% of the room, they're definitely closed, as I said above I can't hear any birds but I'm in a different room, not sure what a fright flight dream is, is that a nightmare but for birds? It's possible but I haven't seen him sleep yet...

I'll have to wait till Monday to get him to a vet but I'll see how he's doing tomorrow and I'll make my decision then I'll keep this thread updated.

I hope this is just a case of me keeping him awake and worrying him and that the only thing I notice is a sleepy grumpy parrot in the morning.

Last update before bed, he's right where I left him last time sitting in front of the entrance to his hanging bed/hammock thing.

Thanks everyone, good night.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hopefully he will nap today, as Marie said, you know him. I hope he is ok.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It's usually colder but you've just made me think... normally it gets to around ˜5-8 degrees maybe it's too warm for him to sleep in there......and we've never had a problem. All the wild birds deal with it and they don't have sheltered rooms from the wind/rain... It's also the 3rd (and last) month of winter here so the worst is over.

Btw it's also raining maybe the sound of the rain on the roof is keeping him up?
These can all be factors if he is not used to whatever the change is. The wild birds are acclimated to the weather changes but if Captain is inside most of the time he wouldn't be. If this is the beginning of the rainy season he may be reacting to that as well and may just need a few rain falls to get him used to it again.

Edit: just read your post #25. I wonder if he feels more comfortable out of his bed so he can 'keep track' of the noise, etc?)

Last edited:

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch

These can all be factors if he is not used to whatever the change is. The wild birds are acclimated to the weather changes but if Captain is inside most of the time he wouldn't be. If this is the beginning of the rainy season he may be reacting to that as well and may just need a few rain falls to get him used to it again.

Edit: just read your post #25. I wonder if he feels more comfortable out of his bed so he can 'keep track' of the noise, etc?)
In Australia Winter is out wettest season certainly not the first time he's heard it, but we haven't had any for a couple of weeks but it's never bothered him before.

Another recent change I can think of is I've started working 9-5 and he's in bed when I get home so I only see him on the weekends, my partner kept him out 2 nights this week so I could see him, I'm not getting home until 6:00 (well after he's gone to bed). Only my second week of routine, could he be wanting to spend time with me? still doesn't really explain why tonight and not any other night?

I'm sure all will be fine tomorrow and I'm fussing over nothing, or that's what I'll tell myself to get to sleep tonight anyway.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hope you both finally get some sleep and it turns out to be nothing. They sure can give us grey hairs. :hug8:

Didomum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Diana
I think you BOTHgoing to be SOoo tired tomorrow. Try to get some sleep yourself as well.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
The rain is a thought. We've been having a drought here and a couple of nights ago we finally had a thunderstorm. I think it kept waking us all up because we aren't used to it anymore.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Hope your baby is ok...kudos to you though for being so observant and on top of things...that is so important because once they become ill, they can go downhill quite fast. Please keep us updated....

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My Quaker will do this same thing on rare occasions. My birds have a set bed time, they go down very quickly. But on a few times, Breeze decides that she would rather stay up til the wee hours. Needless to say, she can be tired and cranky the next day so I give her quiet time in my bedroom away from all the noise that next day. She has only done it a few times but it no longer scares me. I thought something was wrong with her as well, but she was fine. However, if ever in doubt, always call your vet or take her in to make sure all is fine. It's always better to be safe than sorry. Mine will also wake up quickly at the sound of a person in the room so I give them a very quiet place to sleep away from any noise. And I do agree that the room sounds a bit chilly for her.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Everything, including the temperature (my Amazon has spent winters down in Gembrook, Melbourne, where his overnight temp got down well below 10deg C), sounds ok and I'm sure he'll be fine. Sounds like he wanted a late Saturday night - we've all done that :)

son of eevil

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mitch
Good and bad news.

Bad news is he spent all night there... Didn't budge.

Good news he's eating and grumpy and by all accounts seems fine, I'll keep my eye on him today and tonight though.

Thanks everyone ill keep everyone updated.

•••• I'm tired!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Good and bad news.

Bad news is he spent all night there... Didn't budge.

Good news he's eating and grumpy and by all accounts seems fine, I'll keep my eye on him today and tonight though.

Thanks everyone ill keep everyone updated.

•••• I'm tired!
That's not bad news - it's where he wanted to be and felt most comfortable. That's a good thing :)

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Keep us informed Mitch ok still praying for you both..

Status
Not open for further replies.