• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Something Wrong With My Lovebird?

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
My Lovebird has been regurgitating on his favorite toy (His Rope/hoop Swing) and eating it back up a lot lately. And when he does, it happens a few times in a row. Is he okay? Is this normal? Please let me know!

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Could be hormones, sounds like he really likes that toy. How old is he? Hey may start start "rubbing" against it soon. The only thing that would concern me is body weight. If you have a food scale, measured in grams, I would weigh him and keep track of his weight to make sure he isnt losing too much. Also it is okay if he eats it, but if its over a day old.... I would clean it off the toy.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
No he eats it directly after he regurgitates it. He is 7 1/2 years old and I got him from someone Who didn't want him anymore about 7 months ago. I'd imagine he has had that toy for most of his life. We have a scale, I just have to find it now.... XD

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to say that I agree w/ Doubletake on the hormones... (I'd watch the weight too.) I'm not sure what's the age for puberty on a lovebird. If he continues & looses weight, I'd check w/ your vet.

I'm bad w/ new Id's but I did notice your new to the avenue based on your post #.

Welcome to AA!
:grouphug: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Regurgitating and eating it is normal for a male lone lovebird - he is feeding his girlfriend (the toy).

The only thing that would concern me is body weight. If you have a food scale, measured in grams, I would weigh him and keep track of his weight to make sure he isnt losing too much. Also it is okay if he eats it, but if its over a day old.... I would clean it off the toy.
This is good advice :)
When my male lovie started doing this I weighed him daily, after a long time and him being fine, I cut back and weigh him every few weeks.

I'm not sure what's the age for puberty on a lovebird
Young. They can mate as early as 5 months old. I think they can breed from about 8 months but it is not advised until after 1 year old.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all the advise! Yes, he is not that young at all. 7 1/2 years old! I wasn't sure if he was doing it because of any reason of just getting a baby cockatiel. I got her last week, her name is sunshine! She is 3 months old.

:tiel2:Sunshine A.k.a. Sunny :rflb:Pippin

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aw, Sunshine's such a sweet name. Can we see pics hehehehe? I'm guessing Pippin's in your profile pic?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Regurgitating and eating it is normal for a male lone lovebird - he is feeding his girlfriend (the toy).

This is good advice :)
When my male lovie started doing this I weighed him daily, after a long time and him being fine, I cut back and weigh him every few weeks.

Young. They can mate as early as 5 months old. I think they can breed from about 8 months but it is not advised until after 1 year old.

Wow 5 months! I take it that this is more common for captive kept birds vrs. living in the wild?

:laughing1: :nana:

Ouroboros ;)
Had to look that one up! You're always testing us! :hehe:

Ma'am, you need to settle down.:toyou:
:coffeescreen:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow 5 months! I take it that this is more common for captive kept birds vrs. living in the wild?
I´m not sure. I actually saw recently that they can breed as young as 5 months!! I would think that the stability of captivity allows them to feel secure enough to breed. Recommended breeding age is 1-5years old.

Had to look that one up! You're always testing us! :hehe:
There was another thread at the same time as this one by the same poster, and doubletake replied to my comment of not being able to see pictures with those emojis, so when I saw he couldn´t see the pictures here I posted to him what he posted to me... Yes, we are that childish :lol:

I wonder if your images didn't come thru because of a hiccup in the group. We're going thru a bunch of system backups & upgrades. Here's a how to maybe you can see if you did it like the instructions... I'd really like to see your fids!
It´s strange because when OP is posting their pictures they are showing up, but they are disappearing not long after... strange :(