• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Something scared Luna

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Luna is my new white ringneck. I had her room closed this evening (it is dark out), and then I hear her flapping around - she is normally a pretty good flier, and there is a night light in there. I'm not sure how good her eyesight is, but she has normal looking orange pigeon eyes - not pink/albino.

I ran in and scooped her off the FLOOR! At that point, this dove that is not at all tame, does her own thing, and never cares for my company...would NOT leave my hand. I sang to her, talked to her, added a bit more light, and eventually, coaxed her up onto a high perch with some fleece (she never uses her cage).

It is a clean room, and I haven't seen any recent signs of mice.
I have no idea.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If the room is lit well enough that it's not a shadow, could it have been a sound or vibration?

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Maybe, the other birds are ok, but the dogs have been barking every ten minutes wanting out the front door, and then wanting back in.

I've checked on her multiple times since, and she still seems very tense - almost like she is scared to move.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You need to train her to go into a sleep cage at night , less chance of an injury..my doves go into theyre cages to sleep. Still ,,have a nightlight in the room, doves are very skiddish, even a cricket can send them flying, and you dont want a serious head injury..:hug8:

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Well, she shied away from my hand this last time, so more like her usual self.

Her current cage won't work up high, but Luna likes the highest perches in the room.
I have a big wire dog crate I was originally going to use (Palomacy features them), but once I got her home, I realized she would fit right through the bars.
She is a small bird - she might do fine in my smaller plastic dog crate, and I could place that one up near the ceiling, where she prefers to be.
I'll set that one up tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Distaff

Real Name
Mary
Second night in the smaller dog crate. Does seem to be a good option. I only have a fleece blanket in it, but setting up the birds for the day is the first thing I always do, and I am an early riser. I scoop Luna up after dark and put her in. Hoping she will find the crate homey enough to put herself up at night, but we aren't there yet.

She is much calmer in my hand than when I first brought her home. She does not care for a step-up approach with a finger at her chest, but she will calmly grip my hand with her feet when I slide both underneath her.