• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Someone asked about coloring wood or rawhide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I saw maybe a couple days ago someone asked how they could safely color wood for their bird's toys. I didn't have time to answer at the time and I now can't find the post.

1) I have used this before, Unsweetened Kool Aid, also food coloring, as well as Easter Egg Coloring. (I don't know about the easter egg coloring because of the vinigar smell is strong.)
The wooden toys and toy pieces can be soaked in 1 cup of hot water and 1 package of the unsweetened kool aid. These colors are light like pastels, and not bold bright colors. Be careful when using a kool aid like substance that has flavor. Do not use it if there is any danger where you think your bird might ingest the flavored wood.

2) The food coloring can be diluted with a small amount of water.

3) We use this at the zoo: Tempera or other paints that are made for children as they are non toxic and thus parrot-safe.

4) Confectionary coloring paste used for baking, this will produce very bold colors.
:hug8:

Information found in Parrot-Toys and Play Areas

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Those are great suggestions, thanks!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
thanks for the ideas

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
I use colouring paste. I rub on then pop in oven and repeat for several layers.

colours turn out great!

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
What r your thoughts on using twine in assembling toys. I have TONS of twine saved from my bales of hay and wondered if it would be safe for toys...

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
I also was wondering about the baling twine too? Anyone know for sure. My biggest worry is if it's to tready (loose fine treads that could get tangled in feet ect.) Also if it's been treated with anything. There does not seem to be any smell to it.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I have used untreated twine for toy making that you get at the craft store but truthfully I am not sure about twine that is on hay. I don't know what exactly they put on it or what it could be exposed to since it is exposed to the outside.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for the tips!!

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
if hay bailing twine there is similar to what we use here I wouldnt use it in my bird toys. It is coloured and I would assume therefore treated.

I do however use an untreated gardening twine that I get from a local garden shop

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Most all bailing twine and some sisal are in fact treated with fungicides to inhibit mold. You have to use care in selecting sisal avoid imported from China

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Great tips. I would avoid bailing twine for sure. I know almost every barn I've been in has varmints living in it too.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Great tips. I would avoid bailing twine for sure. I know almost every barn I've been in has varmints living in it too.
Thats what I would of thought. Just to be on the safe side I would stay away from it for your fids. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.