• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Somebirdie gave me a scare today

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I went in to give them their seeds today and there was blood all over one of the perches and the food bowls.
I tried to find out who it was, but LJ was the only one willing to let me look him over. The bleeding had stopped which made it harder to find out who it was. Everyones nails were fine and no one seemed to have had a blood feather.
I think it was Sunbeam as she seemed to have the most blood on her, and today she was bashing the food bowl around, so I think she may have hurt herself while doing this.
I cleaned up the cage, gave them more chop, and monitored them for the rest of the day. Everyones seems fine now and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. I'll be removing bowls when they're not needed so she can't play with them.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whew, I'm glad everything is OK now! That would have put my heart in my throat, too!

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So glad they are okay! Not how you wished your day to begin I am sure! Hopefully just a one time thing and no more issues with the food bowls :fingerscrossed:

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
Ohh no glad everyones ok!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
she was bashing the food bowl around, so I think she may have hurt herself while doing this.
What are these food bowls?

Monitor closely in case it was something else. Check the cage over, sometimes a bar can come loose or birds get their wing stuck in the bars, even toy parts/bells etc can do damage - even bird safe things can never be 100% bird safe, 100% all the time for 100% of pet birds.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What are these food bowls?

Monitor closely in case it was something else. Check the cage over, sometimes a bar can come loose or birds get their wing stuck in the bars, even toy parts/bells etc can do damage - even bird safe things can never be 100% bird safe, 100% all the time for 100% of pet birds.
Oops, I missed this. Food bowls are these. Not the exact ones, but similar. I'll check the bars and toys.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I’m glad they’re okay!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Late reading this. My Tweetie Pie went through a phase of picking up his food cup in the ring holder and dropping it back down. Once he managed to clear the ring and it dropped to the bottom of the cage. I got a couple rocks, cleaned them up and put them in the bottom of the food cups. He got over that phase and hasn't done it again. Hope whatever happened with your budgies doesn't occur again.