• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some things to do with a new bird....

greystheway

Meeting neighbors
So glad I found this post, although I'm late to it :) Great advice For someone like myself getting back into birds and hoping for a smooth transition!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is the author still an active member?

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
When it comes to training, how is a good way to end? I have taught Boo to nod and say more (sounds like meow) for a sunflower seed. But how do I end the training ? Just say Good Boy and put the seeds away?

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I just stumbled on this so I am excited at all I am reading and want to know if some of my new ideas will work. Here is what I am thinking of trying but sure I want feedback. I am thinking of having food Time twice a day for my 7 budgies and one cockatiel. They are all new to me....some rescue, some young, and one 3 month old cockatiel.
None of them want pellets though it is mixed into their special breed blend by Dr Harvey. They don’t like fresh food either except some leafy greens and carnations. They all eat out of cups in their cages for bird food and I have been leaving it there at all times. They hardly ever forage at the bottom of the cage. My cockatiel will forage from the rug at times...natural for his species.
So here is what I am thinking. Remove their food trays. Twice a day offer them fresh food on the floor of the cage and in their room on flat plates. After perhaps Thirty min of this, remove the fresh foods and offer them their seed pellet blend on plates. Wait another Thirty minutes and remove everything leaving some foraging oat stems or Millet spray.
Any reactions good or bad will be welcome.

Last edited:

Susan Halperin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Susan
Great advice and thank you!
I have a 6 month old baby yellow-sided green cheek conure which I got over a month ago and started training him almost immediately to step up, turn around, come to me when called, fetch different toys, go upside down in my hand, and currently trying to get him to spread his wings. I also talk to him a lot which he seems to like. He is such a sweet guy! I think trick training helps to teach manners. I don't put up with biting and do say no which works, however try to reinforce positive stuff he does more- he is very treat motivated so that helps. Some people have told me that his being so sweet may fade with hormone changes as he matures. Is this true? I have him out of his cage a lot, 3-4 hours a day if home, and socialize him with friends. If the hormone changes are inevitable I would love to hear more.