• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some Taming Questions

Sphenisciforme

Moving in
I've had my first bird for a week now. She's 3 months old and I purchased her from a breeder. So far she's fine with me putting my hands in the cage, giving her treats, and sitting on my finger. Yesterday I opened the cage door and she happily ran over to me. We've also been practicing stepping up outside the cage. Despite all this, she seems nervous, clumsy, and her crest is almost always up. The only time she seems relaxed is when she's been in the cage for a while or is getting ready to sleep. I don't know if I'm going too fast or missed a step or what.
When she finally becomes comfortable stepping up outside of her cage what do I do next? I wanted a cockatiel so it would hang out with me and cuddle and I'm not really interested in teaching her and elaborate tricks. All the guides and articles about taming I read before getting a cockatiel all seemed to end at the step up command. I'm confused on the transition between her learning to step up and then me doing house activities but with a companion on my shoulder.
Also I've noticed her pacing around at the bottom of her cage. I've read this is a sign of boredom, but again when I take her out of the cage she seems pretty anxious, so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like she will get there in time. A week is no time at all to a bird. Everything is still very new to her, and she's unsure. Just take things slow and go at her pace. Offer her treats, sit and read to her, etc. She will start getting comfortable with you and her surroundings soon. She may or may not like scratches and cuddling, because not all birds do, but I would hold off on trying that for now until she's more settled. She sounds like a sweetie!

FlockofFive

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi! I totally get where you are coming from, and cockatiels make WONDERFUL companion birds. I agree with Tiel Feathers that you need to give her more time and let her personality show itself around you :). It can take months to form a bond with your birdie but it looks like you are taking great steps already! Enjoy your baby :)

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I've learned with my very stubborn female that it just takes patience , as stated above it just takes time but it will happen just keep up what your doing and in time she will gladly sit on your shoulder. Congratulations on your new baby

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As everyone said, a week is really a short period of time. Just give her time and try to work at her pace. Also, baby tiels are notoriously clumsy. She should outgrow that. Also are you sure she's a she.......... Typically males whistle.......

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
so happy to hear of your progress!!! has anything new happened since?