• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some sad problems, need help

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
My Cockatiel, Lucy, 16.5 years or so old, is having a good deal of problems. Two years or so ago she had what I think was a stroke. She can't seem to focus on anything, has a hard time with mobility and can't fly any longer; she just flops. i took her to the vet at the time but there was nothing they could do for her. Before that happened she was all out and about, happy and healthy. Problem is, where I need advice, her grip is getting worse and worse, she can still perch in her cage fairly well but anything that doesn't have enough friction she loses grip on and nearly falls. I hate cutting her nails as I'm scared it'll cause her another problem. I don't know if there is anything I can do to make her life better, like ways to help her grip onto things like my fingers so she isn't so wobbly. I know I can't repair the damage done to her brain, I can't fix most of her issues if any but I'm hoping i can make what's left of her life better.

This has caused me many nights of sleep, many times I cry as I can't seem to help her much. I did put padding on the bottom of her cage as she does from time to time fall. If I thought she was suffering I'd do what's right for her but for now she is still loving head pets, being whistled at and hugs. I just am at a loss for what to do to make her life better to help her with her mobility issues. I hate that she can't fly any longer, watching her try makes me cry. She hasn't tried to fly in over a year as she's come to realize that she'll just fall. She used to fly off my hand or wherever she was and go to her home when she had enough out time. Now I provide her with my hands to carry her, cuddle her and keep her near so she isn't lonely. It breaks my heart and I really need some advice/help with my situation.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I'm sorry your Lucy is going that. I too, have a senior cockatiel Mikey who also has mobility issues so I understand what your going thru. :darkcloud: I adopted Mikey from a animal shelter back in November 2009 so I don't know how old he is. Mikey used to hang out on my shoulder all the time but he can't grip my shoulder nor does he fly around the room anymore like he once did. I took him for his annual checkup last month and the vet said he was healthy and that I was doing everything possible to give him a good life. He still loves mommy's sweet kisses and never gets tired of them. :heart: I think all we can do is just love them :hug2:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear about Lucy. It sounds like you're very attuned to her needs, and it sounds like you're a very caring companion for her.

This section of the forum will give you some ideas on adapting her living space. You can see examples of cages set up for birds with mobility issues.

I think platform perches might give her a comfortable place to rest on. I would also provide a cage that doesn't have a lot of height - you don't want her falling from near the top.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Platform perches, all other perches vet wrapped and maybe a soft pill free fleece blanket on the cage bottom in case of falls. There are a few who have altered cage bottoms by raising them half way up the cage so any falls are lessened. I think a good look through the link provided by tka will be helpful for you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does she have arthritis in her feet by any chance? If so pain meds might help. What is her diet like? Both of my cockatiels are seniors. I give them both senior nutriberries as part of their diet as it contains supplements geared specifically at helping older birds. I also give my oldest tiel a supplement called Healthy Bird than contains anti-inflammatory ingredients like tumeric, etc.

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
Does she have arthritis in her feet by any chance? If so pain meds might help. What is her diet like? Both of my cockatiels are seniors. I give them both senior nutri berries as part of their diet as it contains supplements geared specifically at helping older birds. I also give my oldest tiel a supplement called Healthy Bird than contains anti-inflammatory ingredients like tumeric, etc.
Her food consists of seeds+ whatever fruit/veggies I can get her to eat with some supplements for vitamins/minerals. I should get her some more nutri berries. Arthritis is likely for her as someday are worse than others for her grip.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Her food consists of seeds+ whatever fruit/veggies I can get her to eat with some supplements for vitamins/minerals. I should get her some more nutri berries. Arthritis is likely for her as someday are worse than others for her grip.
I would ask your vet about it. Perhaps main meds or antii- inflammatories would help. That's also why I like senior nutriberries because they have glucomsamine in them.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'm so sorry to hear your bird is going through this. You sound like a wonderful birdy mommy. I do recall reading some great ideas for special needs birds on the forum @tka mentioned. Keep us posted!

Speaking of @tka I love your quote. Are you the author?
People have forgotten this truth. But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Speaking of @tka I love your quote. Are you the author?
People have forgotten this truth. But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
It's from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. The Little Prince leaves his home planet to see more of the universe, and on his travels he meets a fox. The Prince and the fox discuss what it means to be tame and how one goes about taming. It's one of my favourite sections and is a beautiful reflection on what taming means: to build bonds of trust and responsibility, and to become an individual to each other. It's a process that goes both ways: I am one of many humans in the world but to Leia I am special - and vice versa. It reminds me that taming an animal asks so much of them: we ask them to place their trust in us when they might have little reason to trust us, and we must honour that trust.

"No," said the little prince. "I am looking for friends. What does that mean--'tame'?"

"It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. It means to establish ties."

"'To establish ties'?"

"Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world . . ."

You can read the whole book here - it's very short: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
You can read the whole book here - it's very short
I forgot to tell you that I read the book that very day. I remembered bits and pieces of it and am sure my mother read it to me as a young girl. I had somehow never forgotten the picture of the snake with the meal inside of it! Thank you for sharing the link. Wonderful story!