• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some people.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
I have found have trained their kids really well, bout service dogs, and some haven't. Like today, I brought my sd to church with me. I dont always, but I felt like I needed him. I had been going places without him all week and I just felt well, drained I guess.
Right away most people left him alone. Which was good. But I really don't care if they come and ASK me if they can pet my dog. I will normally say yes, or if he's nervous say no due to him being in a new environment and stuff like that.
One kid asked me what does the dog do for you. Just out of curiosity. And I reallyd on't mind saying. He helps me with my Anxiety and Panic attacks. They asked me what are those. My best answer was to be scared for no reason at all. Their eyes got really big and nodded lol. They left the area 5 min later. I don't think I freaked them out, just gave them something to think bout.
Then another kid. Walked by and Sydney (my dog) wasn't paying much attention to me, which he should have, and went towards the kid to be pet.
The kid says don't they have a no dogs rule here? I said yes. Didn't feel like going on more with this conversation due to the tone of his voice. He then asked me why do you have your dog in the church. I said because he is a service dog. He said OH. And walked away. I guess I kind of understand where his parents stand huh? lol.
Most of the adults Loved Sydney. One sat on the ground ( I had to stop myself from laughing) with him and just petted and petted him. It was good for both of them. Sydney needs to learn that most people are not going to hurt him, and I guess the guy needed some lovings.
There was another kid who was scared of him. I felt really bad, because Syd would bend over backwards for a kid, now adults he doesn't like as much.
There was one adult that Sydney would not go near. He has a rough background. But now is a really nice guy working through his problems. But Sydney I guess sensed his probs and didn't want anything to do with him.
This was all after Church Service.
He did wonderful. He was a little nervous. But not too nervous I think I will bring him again, maybe not every week, but once in a while.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Erin, I didn't know you had a service dog. How wonderful that you do. Does your dog wear a service vest when working? I taught my children from an early age to never try and pay attention to or to try and pet service animals, that the vest they wear means they are working and are to concentrate on doing their job for their person to keep that person safe. Of course I always taught my children to never approach any animal without the owners permission as well. Children can be very curious and sometimes too intrusive. It was so nice of you to answer those kids questions. I know how irritating it can be sometimes. Wishing you the best.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Ugh i can only imagine how irritating that would be! I get irritated when people bug me about my dogs. They see these small, cute, chihuahuas and rush over (not bothering to ask) and try to cuddle and pet them - then, they get all ••••ed of when my dogs growl at them.

If people would bother to ask I'd tell them my dogs aren't super friendly and do NOT react well to strangers rushing up and crowding them

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I thought everybody knew by now that service dogs are working dogs and shouldn't be petted.:huh:
We have a market close by and I always see the dogs in training. They wear clearly marked vests, and there is always a group of them. That market is a great way to get them used to lots of people. :p

I always send used stamps to my husband aunt. They go to the training of service dogs...a very good cause.:highfive:

Sigrid

MoluccanZoey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
Yeah, the service animals are not for petting! Well, not without permission- they are working. I do get annoyed with people that don't teach their kids not to go up to strange animals. Sometimes I'll bring Zoey (M2) out with a harness to get the mail or something and once some kid ran up and tried to grab her! He tried to grab her leash and was reaching for her feet! Yeah...that didn't go well. I'm not really a kid person (I was an only child so I have limited child experience)- I think the mother was suprised I was not enthralled with the cuteness of her child and instead snapped at him to get away from my bird! Zoey for her part encouraged him to go back to his mother by climbing onto my head and hissing at him from a safe distance. And the idiot mother was going- oh do you like her sweetie? How much is she I'll buy you one...we had a cockatiel once you know!
I should have let Zoey go introduce herself more formally...oh well, maybe by some miracle the kid will aquire some manners in his life.

I should tell you that Zoey is 3- she's just coming into that moluccan 'you can't tell me what to do' personality. So although she thinks she is queen of the universe and all should bow before the all powerful pink feathered goddess- when she gets scared she still runs to me for protection. Hence the 'on top of the head' thing. She thinks she's more powerful up there. :lol:

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
Erin, I didn't know you had a service dog. How wonderful that you do. Does your dog wear a service vest when working? I taught my children from an early age to never try and pay attention to or to try and pet service animals, that the vest they wear means they are working and are to concentrate on doing their job for their person to keep that person safe. Of course I always taught my children to never approach any animal without the owners permission as well. Children can be very curious and sometimes too intrusive. It was so nice of you to answer those kids questions. I know how irritating it can be sometimes. Wishing you the best.
Yup Syd is a service dog. He is my second one. My first one had to be PTS. He fell and slipped a disk.
I don't mind kids too much. It's when they don't ask is when they bother me.
I try my hardest to answer any questions there are. Some I just can't but for the most part I can think of a answer lol.
You betcha he wears a vest. He also wears a Gentle Leader. Which can look like a muzzle lol. But I tell the truth if they ask me if he is wearing a muzzle lol. I won't have a dog that has to wear a muzzle, but impressions can do wonders lol

Last edited:

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
Yeah, the service animals are not for petting! Well, not without permission- they are working. I do get annoyed with people that don't teach their kids not to go up to strange animals. Sometimes I'll bring Zoey (M2) out with a harness to get the mail or something and once some kid ran up and tried to grab her! He tried to grab her leash and was reaching for her feet! Yeah...that didn't go well. I'm not really a kid person (I was an only child so I have limited child experience)- I think the mother was suprised I was not enthralled with the cuteness of her child and instead snapped at him to get away from my bird! Zoey for her part encouraged him to go back to his mother by climbing onto my head and hissing at him from a safe distance. And the idiot mother was going- oh do you like her sweetie? How much is she I'll buy you one...we had a cockatiel once you know!
I should have let Zoey go introduce herself more formally...oh well, maybe by some miracle the kid will aquire some manners in his life.

I should tell you that Zoey is 3- she's just coming into that moluccan 'you can't tell me what to do' personality. So although she thinks she is queen of the universe and all should bow before the all powerful pink feathered goddess- when she gets scared she still runs to me for protection. Hence the 'on top of the head' thing. She thinks she's more powerful up there. :lol:
I have told kids to leave my dog alone when they don't ask. Because it gets stressful to me, or my dog if too many people crowd us. The people I get really irratated with are the adults who don't ask. Because they for sure know better.
I wish I could get Chewy into a harness!!!! But he won't get anywhere near his lol.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have often seen people try to pet service dogs and I always tell them to back off...people need to be better educated about them for sure...I even saw a person in a restaurant try to feed one..that was sheer idiocy...

Status
Not open for further replies.