• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some people should not own animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I think Hope fits as well. As of yesterday she took bit of a turn for the worse. She was skinny but I have seen her eating so was hoping it was just from the week of fighting for her fod and water before I got her. I have started her on an antibiotic. She is pretty lethargic and now seems to be keeping her weight off of the other leg. The other hen is still doing well. Infact she seems to be enjoying herself. The other night when I was feeding our rabbits she jumped up and perched on my arm! I have never had a hen do that and we raised most of them from day olds lol. I hope that our little Hope can pull through! I don't know what else to do.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's beautiful,thank you for saving her.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Well she seems a little more alert today. I have been giving her feedings 3x a day until I am certain she is eating again. She is just so skinny! But it seems like the antibiotics are helping she had it with some yogurt today which she liked more and electrolytes, and some formula one which I had on hand if the birds ever needed it. Hopefully she starts putting on some weight and walking again!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Aww poor baby. People see ducks, geese, chicken and turkeys as things that can be used and abused as its for food. But they don't realize that it has a soul! It has feelings too! Just as much as a parrot and any other animal! I am so glad you took her in.:hug8: I hope she makes it.
It's amazing, isn't it, how arbitrary we are about whom we cherish and whom we eat?

I hope the little girl makes it. :hug8:

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Re: Some people should not own animals. UPDATE!!

Well I think little Miss hope is on the upswing! After her turn for the worse I really thought we were going to lose her but after dilligent care (at least 3 force feedings a day to keep some form of hydration/nutrition in her) I went out this afternoon to give her a feeding which I have noticed she is increasingly less thrilled with. Then I had a chat with her lol. I told her if she would just start eating and drinking on her own I wouldn't have to do this anymore. And she sat there a few more minutes looking around and looking at me. Then all of the sudden she stood up! Put weight on both legs, but still very weak, and she just stood there. She slowly started inching towards me and I was really confused about what she was trying to do I figured if nothing else she was going to try to get away from the woman who has been forcing her to eat, and then she tried to sit on my lap! I sat her back down because I was worried she would over exert and regress a bit and instead of trying to force feed her I took a spoon with the electrolyte mix and held it to her beak for a minute. She looked at it and then at me and then put her beak down and started drinking on her own! I was SOO excited I just kept praising her and she kept drinking. Then I figured I would give some of the pellets a try and I went to get a handful and she started eating right out of my hand! I am beside myself thrilled. I really thought we were going to lose this little girl despite everything. She came to us in bad condition and then got better and was walking and eating and then all of the sudden back on her death bed. Now she is SLOWLY improving but I am so happy. The eating and drinking is a major mile stone! I put her back in the pen with the other hen and put the water back in and watched for a minute. She sat down at first and kept eyeing the water bowl. Then she stood up walked over and started drinking. I really just couldn't be any happier about this. She still has a bit of a road ahead of her but I feel much better now that we are seeing improvment. :dance4::dancing:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Re: Some people should not own animals. UPDATE!!

Well I think little Miss hope is on the upswing! After her turn for the worse I really thought we were going to lose her but after dilligent care (at least 3 force feedings a day to keep some form of hydration/nutrition in her) I went out this afternoon to give her a feeding which I have noticed she is increasingly less thrilled with. Then I had a chat with her lol. I told her if she would just start eating and drinking on her own I wouldn't have to do this anymore. And she sat there a few more minutes looking around and looking at me. Then all of the sudden she stood up! Put weight on both legs, but still very weak, and she just stood there. She slowly started inching towards me and I was really confused about what she was trying to do I figured if nothing else she was going to try to get away from the woman who has been forcing her to eat, and then she tried to sit on my lap! I sat her back down because I was worried she would over exert and regress a bit and instead of trying to force feed her I took a spoon with the electrolyte mix and held it to her beak for a minute. She looked at it and then at me and then put her beak down and started drinking on her own! I was SOO excited I just kept praising her and she kept drinking. Then I figured I would give some of the pellets a try and I went to get a handful and she started eating right out of my hand! I am beside myself thrilled. I really thought we were going to lose this little girl despite everything. She came to us in bad condition and then got better and was walking and eating and then all of the sudden back on her death bed. Now she is SLOWLY improving but I am so happy. The eating and drinking is a major mile stone! I put her back in the pen with the other hen and put the water back in and watched for a minute. She sat down at first and kept eyeing the water bowl. Then she stood up walked over and started drinking. I really just couldn't be any happier about this. She still has a bit of a road ahead of her but I feel much better now that we are seeing improvment. :dance4::dancing:
This is such amazing news! Way to go,Hope! keep it up girl :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Wonderful! What a little fighter she is. I hope she continues improving! :laughing12:

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
UPDATE: I am sad to say that Hope passed away last night. :(

Last edited:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I'm so sorry. :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:( Poor baby. You gave her the best chance you could. At least she was able to spend her last days being given the care she deserved.

:hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
i'm sorry she lost her fight. thank you for taking her in and showing her a bit of love before she passed. :hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,Im so sorry :( Fly free Hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.