• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some people should not own animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I went to pick up a couple hens yesterday (since we had lost a few of ours a while back) and I get there and the woman tells me that one of them she had for sale got injured earlier in the week. So im thinking she has it seperate from the rest to let it heal. But no that just meant that it had been getting trampled on a daily basis by the rest of them. I mean really trampled chickens aren't nice to the injured as you may already know. So she says to me "if you think you can give her better than I can you can just take her". So I took her. I'm pumping her full of vitamins and electrolytes she is in her own little pen so she can actually heal seems to be eating well. The woman hatched them all from eggs you would think she could care enough to take care of them if need be. People really annoy me sometimes.

Anyway she seems to be warming up to me this morning. I didn't think she was drinking her water yesterday so I actually gave it by syringe with electrolytes since we are in the middle of a heat wave and I knew she wouldn't make the night otherwise. She slept on her own little pile of hay and she seems to be warming up to me this morning. She paniced everytime she saw me yesterday now she just sits and is drinking water on her own. ;) She can't put any weight on her right leg though by what I have observed. It might take a week or two depending on the severity but I have definitely recovered hens much worse off. Now she just needs a name...any suggestions? :)

Attachments

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Hi Nicole! Good job with the rescue. She is beautiful. I hate how a lot of people see chickens as disposable. I know we eat chicken but if they are laying eggs for you, you should at least take care of them! And even if you plan to eat them, you should still give them a good life! UGH...getting off soapbox now. I think a good name might be Blondie or Fawn due to her coloring. She is also a toasted marshmallow color...mmmm. Maybe Marshmallow? We name ours according to personality a lot so its hard to say what the best name would be. You could always name her something really strong or the name of a superhero like Wonder Chicken or Super Girl :lol:Let us know what you name her and on her progress!

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I agre Melody. The woman relaly seemed so nice really knowledgable but like you said some people just don't seem to view chickens as living things. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aww poor baby. People see ducks, geese, chicken and turkeys as things that can be used and abused as its for food. But they don't realize that it has a soul! It has feelings too! Just as much as a parrot and any other animal! I am so glad you took her in.:hug8: I hope she makes it.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Poor little girl. :( How hard would it have been to just put her off to the side in her own little home so she could heal? I hope she pulls through okay, she looks lovely.

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
how sweet is she....:heart:I wish her for a full healthy recovery!!! And I like the name, Henny Penny:laughing12:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
How about Boa since the feathers on her back look like they're from a feather boa? :D It also means good looking in Brazilian Portuguese slang ... :naughty:

Inkrose115

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
Well don´t ask me for names... She´d end up with a name like sweetpea or cutiepie or something really saccharine or wimpy. :huh:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Some strong names~
Aleta {bird-like}
Aldora {winged gift}
Anastasia{one who will rise again}
Faith{faith and devotion}
Grace{blessing from God}
Heloise{ famous in battle}
Hannah{blessed by God}
Lia
Ruth {friend to all}
Zemirah{song of joy}
Thanks for giving her a loving home
:hug8:

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
ooo so many names to choose from! I will keep you posted!

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Well still no decision on the name but she is up and bearing some weight on her leg now. Still tender and not at all ready to join the flock but doing well :). She has a little buddy too I took one of the hens and they have been hanging out and bonding. :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe she is beautiful! Thank you for taking her home:) Names? I am so bad with names! lol

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Here she is. :) Standing up and walking around. :)

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
A like the name Fauna. Henny Penny is kinda cute too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aww I'm so glad she is doing better! She is so beautiful!!

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Fauna is a cute name. I think I will need a name for the other hen as well. I am so indecisive. :o: Both these hens are turning out to be very friendly. They both seem to just sit and wait to be held lol.:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Love the picture with your daughter? She is going to do so well with you looking after her at last. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.