• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some Nuts

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
On the theme of desensitization...
Dorian enjoying outside time! He can't wait to find all of the nuts hidden about inside the toys.
~ Greenwing Wednesday

20220923_142629.jpg

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Thats adorable! I hope that he grows to love his time outdoors ^^

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Goodness, isn’t Dorian just absolutely stunning!

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Thats adorable! I hope that he grows to love his time outdoors ^^
Yes, same!
So far, he seems to be quite content and forages/chews his toys.
He doesn't alarm call at every little thing like he used to at his previous home. That's of course okay, I'm just glad he's growing more and more confident.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you, so true.
Greenwings are amazing.
Every time my five year old sees one on tv or packaging etc she claims “see! That’s the bird I want! See?! Can we please get one for my birthday?!”
Not financially possible from this corner of the world! Lol
It really shocks me how common macaws are in he US/other areas of the world.
Stunning birds- larger than life, really.

he is gorgeous, I don’t know how you get anything done rather than just stand and look at him!

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Every time my five year old sees one on tv or packaging etc she claims “see! That’s the bird I want! See?! Can we please get one for my birthday?!”
Not financially possible from this corner of the world! Lol
It really shocks me how common macaws are in he US/other areas of the world.
Stunning birds- larger than life, really.

he is gorgeous, I don’t know how you get anything done rather than just stand and look at him!
Aw, yeah, they are incredible and I'm honored to be able to live with them.

They are yes, extremely common here... this one was given to me.
I've only purchased one chick from a breeder... the other 5 macaws were all adopted/ given to me.
I still have to say no quite a bit as so many are offered to me/need homes and I just can't take them.
Rescues are also nearly or completely full.

I would hope/ think this could be made into a positive thing so other parts of the world could have access/be options for these birds seeking a home.
I understand the legal/logistical challenges with this premise but those aside, it is a nice idea.
I hope something works out for you and your daughter.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Aw, yeah, they are incredible and I'm honored to be able to live with them.

They are yes, extremely common here... this one was given to me.
I've only purchased one chick from a breeder... the other 5 macaws were all adopted/ given to me.
I still have to say no quite a bit as so many are offered to me/need homes and I just can't take them.
Rescues are also nearly or completely full.

I would hope/ think this could be made into a positive thing so other parts of the world could have access/be options for these birds seeking a home.
I understand the legal/logistical challenges with this premise but those aside, it is a nice idea.
I hope something works out for you and your daughter.
that sounds like a crazy situation to have so many large and homeless birds :(
I guess their majestic look is a downfall in that way- people want them for their beauty and don’t understand their needs.

My daughter is fine- she has a rainbow lorikeet who loves her to death (and she loves him to death, too).
he was a wild bird. My husbands old boss told him to go move the dead bird from the front office window, it doesn’t look good for business!
turns out the bird was alive but unwell from hitting the window. We rehabbed him as he had lost all use of his legs and had an eye injury. He now has perfect eyes and significantly regained his leg usage (I did extensive massage/moving his legs for months) and now a few years later, he is her best friend and their bond is beautiful.

She just also admires the bigger birds :lol:

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
that sounds like a crazy situation to have so many large and homeless birds :(
I guess their majestic look is a downfall in that way- people want them for their beauty and don’t understand their needs.

My daughter is fine- she has a rainbow lorikeet who loves her to death (and she loves him to death, too).
he was a wild bird. My husbands old boss told him to go move the dead bird from the front office window, it doesn’t look good for business!
turns out the bird was alive but unwell from hitting the window. We rehabbed him as he had lost all use of his legs and had an eye injury. He now has perfect eyes and significantly regained his leg usage (I did extensive massage/moving his legs for months) and now a few years later, he is her best friend and their bond is beautiful.

She just also admires the bigger birds :lol:
That is so special.
I love it