• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some input/advice on bourkes or other keets?

Mephynx

Checking out the neighborhood
Some backstory, I have not personally owned birds but I have been around them and have taken care of budgies and a pair of amazons short-term before, so I have an idea of what it's like. I would like to get a bird of my own but am not entirely sure what direction to go in, but Bourkes parakeets have me curious.

I figure it's a good idea to describe my lifestyle and what I can provide to a bird. I do work ~30 hours a week but am a homebody so I spend almost all my free time at home. I very seldom travel, even for single overnight stays. I am keen on having my bird be out when I am home and awake as much as possible, while also having as big a cage as possible for the regrettable times he/she has to be caged. Money and access to a vet is a non-issue. I live in a house with space for free-flight. I currently work with a budgie at work so I'm already used to the routine of daily cleaning but I still consider myself a beginner with birds.

I was looking for a reasonably mellow and personable bird that wasn't prone to loud or shrill persistent calling which is what drew me to the Bourkie, but I was also hoping to find a species that enjoyed a little bit of physical interaction, a head scritch or pet here and there. I'm wondering if Bourkies really are as hands-off as they say? I don't care either way for speaking/imitation ability or tricks, I'm just looking for a buddy. Perhaps you can point me towards another species that would work for me instead? I have considered budgies but for some reason I can't put my finger on I just don't feel drawn to them at all.

I also live in Canada, since I know some species are more popular in some regions than others.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue:)

As all birds are so different and you are not totally pulled in the direction of a particular species and only that species I would suggest meeting as many different birds as you can regardless of their species and find one that likes you and wants to be with you. Maybe meeting lots of birds and letting one pick you would be the best given what you want in your feather friend.

I’d personally tell you to get a B&G because I am totally biased and think they are the best birds :D

Mephynx

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue:)

As all birds are so different and you are not totally pulled in the direction of a particular species and only that species I would suggest meeting as many different birds as you can regardless of their species and find one that likes you and wants to be with you. Maybe meeting lots of birds and letting one pick you would be the best given what you want in your feather friend.

I’d personally tell you to get a B&G because I am totally biased and think they are the best birds :D
I appreciate the input, and I will be trying to meet as many birds in person as I can though where I live that is much easier said than done. I don't think I will be going for any macaws, however :p I am not comfortable with their size and I am quite certain that macaws, cockatoos, African Greys et cetera are not the birds for me :p

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
I have 3 bourkes, to me they are the best very sweet and quiet, they do sing, but so soft very soothing to me.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't know if you decided yet or not, but I figured I might as well weigh in. I have two hand-fed Bourke's, and they are extremely friendly, curious and social. They love to land on me and hang out on my shoulder. They always want to see what I'm doing and join in. It's true that they do NOT enjoy being petted, but they love to snuggle up to my face. They also do let me give them kisses. If the no petting thing is a dealbreaker, I wouldn't suggest a Bourke's, but other than that I'd say they're exactly what you're looking for.