• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some helpful links about hand feeding :)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
With these Links-I hope to bring You as Much information as I can to help anyone that finds them selves having to Hand feed A chick

Lots of tips for Breeders-with links for Hand feeding etc
http://www.parrotscanada.com/breeder...rbreeders.html

A new way to Hand feed-With a Cup!
http://www.parrotpro.com/cupfeed.php

Reasons to NOT Buy an UN Weaned Baby and some Very Sad stories
http://www.itsagreysworld.com/misc/unweaned.htm

The Science of Handfeeding and Weaning the Baby Parrot:

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa coy

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa McCoy
Wow these are really useful and meaningful links. I would also like to share my experience that following many birding books have really helped me in being a bird parent as well as engaging in birding across Michigan and more birding destinations. Birding Guide from St Martin's Press was especially useful in the beginning. I am also part of many facebook groups which are global and whenever i need any kind of advice, someone or the other is online to help.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I watched this video through it's entirety and am sharing it with you so you can see how this person has a bowl of water ( at the same temp of the formula) for her bowl of formula to sit in to keep the temperature of the formula as it needs to be for feeding and less likely the formula will cool down... given, she is feeding multiple babies so it's important she keeps the formula as it should be while feeding them all. By doing this you will set your thermometer in the formula to read the temp. If the formula is too hot you will watch the thermometer as the formula cools to the right temp for feeding.

You will also note how she gently holds the chicks heads for feeding as they bob/ respond for feeding. If your chick is younger, you've never fed before you might not push the formula as quickly if the feeding response from your chick is not as active. I would also suggest purchasing a scale that weighs in grams and ounces. You will set the scale to weigh in GRAMS. Weigh the baby before your first morning feed after it poops to get a true weight. If it weighs 20 grams you will feed 10% of the weight which will be 2 ml or 2 cc's. 30 grams- 3ml or 3cc's.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Formula guides;
More specific information on how to prepare each formula from the manufacturer.

(HARI) Hagen Tropican

Versele-Laga Nutribird
A19; Macaws, Eclectuss, Hawk-headed Parrots, African Greys and other baby birds with high energy requirements
A19 High energy; Complete hand-rearing food specially formulated for baby birds with high energy requirements
A21; Complete hand-rearing food for all baby birds
A18 Lori; Lories and Lorikeets
All of the Nutribird formulas include gut flora stabilisers, prebiotics, digestive enzymes and organic acids to promote digestion.

Kaytee Exact
Preparation Instructions
Hand feeding guide PDF (Optional; Download or read online) (PDF attached below)
Educational reference guide (PDF)
This formula contains probiotics to encourage a healthy population of intestinal microorganisms, as well as digestive enzymes (amylase and protease) to insure adequate digestion of carbohydrates and proteins.

Zupreem
Embrace; Suitable for most species of Old World psittacines (hookbills) and passerines (softbills), including cockatoos, cockatiels, parakeets and lovebirds, debilitated or anorexic birds, and orphaned wild birds.
Embrace Plus; Conures, Amazons, macaws, caiques, hawkheads, African greys, Asiatic parakeets, Poicephalus parrots and eclectus
(PDF attached below)
¨Includes probiotic Bacillus which encourages beneficial intestinal microorganisms. Lactobacillus aids in proper digestion and the absorption of important nutrients.¨

Harrison´s
NEONATE;
NEONATE HAND-FEEDING FORMULA (Click ¨Feeding directions¨)
JUVENILE;
JUVENILE HAND-FEEDING FORMULA
RECOVERY;
RECOVERY FORMULA

Harrisons hand feeding formulas for sick or injured birds or critical diet transitions

Vetafarm Neocare
Neocare - Vetafarm
¨Contains Probotic to promote healthy gut flora. Contains pre-digestives to increase gut efficiency and ensure maximum absorption of nutrients.¨
Video; How to mix NeoCare

Higgins Intune
(click ¨feeding guidelines¨) inTune Hand Feeding — Higgins Premium Pet Foods
¨Enriched with protected probiotics.¨

Roudybush Formula 3
This link is the best I could find for this manufacturer and it is not direct info; Formula 3

Psittacus
Formula Selector;
Mini; (Cockatiels, lovebirds, parakeets, Rosellas, Conures Bourkes parakeet, parrotlets...)
High protein; (amazons, cockatoos, parakeets, pionus ...)
High energy; (African greys, macaws, poicephalus ...)
High Energy Plus; (Golden conure, Great green macaw, Hyacinth macaw, Palm cockatoo, Red and green macaw)
(Granivorous) Neonatal; Suitable for most species of psittacines (not recommended for cockatiels and Australian parakeets)
Frugivorous Neonatal; Suitable for most species of parrots
Lori special; Loriinae family
Eclectus special; Eclectus genus
Cockatoo special; Cacatuidae family (except for the genus Probosciger and subgenus Calyptorhynchus zanda)
Recovery; (Food for sick/injured birds in the recovery process. Not suitable for birds with crop candidiasis)
General recovery formula
Hand Feeding Parrot; (Healthy nutrition for everyday feeding for baby parrots of commonly hand-reared species like Ring-necked and Asiatic Parakeets, Conures, Quaker Parakeets and Australian parrots (except cockatoos))
Parrot hand feeding formula
Currently no English info sheet on the last formula.
Granivorous and Frugivorous crop milk info can be found here: Products Psittacus - Psittacus

Edit; All links fixed and new psittacus formulas added 27/02/23

Attachments

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Have you seen this page before? I just came upon it. Egg information...

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How to mix formula (tips)

Remember;

-the ratio used in the video are for that specific brand, all brands are a little different, be sure to check what the brand states for your formula.
-the temperature of this formula is again specific to this brand. Check what the manufacturer of your formula state as feeding temperature. (The norm is 40C / 105F
-a crop needle really is for experts only. If you are a beginner, use a spoon.

Edit to add this newer video;

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Here is a video of how I mix formula. Note that this is for older babies not very young newly hatched chicks. Also, since making the video I have decided that I prefer to add the water to the container and then the powdered formula to the water before mixing.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure and listen to the commentary, this is very specifically for feeding almost weaned chicks. Mixing is the same but I took some liberties with the temperature at the end because I was feeding a chick who was used to eating foods of all types and temperatures since it was almost fully weaned. The temperatures discussed at the beginning are correct.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Here is an example of feeding a nearly weaned caique who is down to two feedings a day. As you can see it is a bit different than feeding a smaller baby and again the lower temperature of the formula is not an issue for a weaning baby. This formula was mixed to the normal feeding temperature but I didn't do anything to prevent it from cooling further. If I had younger babies to feed I would keep the filled syringes in a hot water bath to maintain the temperature.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Here's a chart to keep track of feeds and weights;

Feeding Chart.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
HOW TO MAKE A HAND-FEEDING SPOON

I spent a few minutes to make a better feeding spoon using a plastic spoon from a box I had on hand. Before bending the sides in I'm showing how I placed my fingers on the sides to form the spoon when it was heated. NOTE: when the spoon was super hot I wore a glove I use for washing dishes to protect my fingers from the heat of the spoon as I applied pressure. At first I tried microwaving water in a plastic container but it wasn't sufficient in heat even after continually heating it in the microwave. I moved on to heating a small pan of water with enough water to cover the amount of the spoon you see in the plastic bowl... I did not dip the whole end of the spoon.. just the end I wanted to form. The water in the pan was set at a low boiling temp. I would hold the spoon for 30 seconds in the boiling water and pull it out to apply pressure to the sides and tip.... repeated the process until I had it where I liked the shape. So... it is possible for anyone to make their own feeding spoon with a narrower tip for a less messy feeding.

Birdspoon 1.JPG

Birdspoon 2.JPG

Birdspoon 3.JPG

Birdspoon 4.JPG

Pan.JPG

Birdspoon 5.JPG

Birdspoon 6.JPG

Birdspoon 7.JPG

Birdspoon 8.JPG

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A couple of collages made by Susanne Russo;

Throat.jpg

aspiration.jpg

Source (and lots more useful and important info, and other collages);

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Crop Emptying Problems - Slow Crop / Sour Crop

Common Causes and Resolutions;

Video by Tony Silva demonstrating how to prepare Papaya, to feed it to a chick whos crop is slowing;

http://instagr.am/p/B_Q-kOzl2Eg/
(The demo for making the papaya cream is in the video to the right - press the right arrow at the side of the clip)
This is recommended only when the crop is showing signs of slowing, and not to add to formula without reason.
In the Spanish version he says to feed the papaya mix (heated to formula temp), and over the next 4-5 feeds, dilute the papaya mix with the birds usual formula, more and more each time until after those 4-5 feeds, the bird is eating just formula again with no papaya mix mixed in.

Pulse aquí para versión español

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Video by Tony Silva demonstrating how to prepare Papaya, to feed it to a chick whos crop is slowing;

(The demo for making the papaya cream is in the video to the right - press the right arrow at the side of the clip)
This is recommended only when the crop is showing signs of slowing, and not to add to formula without reason.
In the Spanish version he says to feed the papaya mix (heated to formula temp), and over the next 4-5 feeds, dilute the papaya mix with the birds usual formula, more and more each time until after those 4-5 feeds, the bird is eating just formula again with no papaya mix mixed in.

I have found that this works really well, in fact I start all my babies with the papaya (prepared as the video shows) mixed in the formula. It really helps with day 1 babies and very young birds. It is also very easy to add a little more or feed an entire feeding of papaya if a babies crop slows even a little bit. This is honestly one of the best ever tips for raising baby birds. I always prepare some each year and freeze in ice cube trays so that I always have a convenient supply on hand.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
After months of work I am excited to share this resource that I developed in association with the Association of Avian Veterinarians. It is available on youtube and on their owner resources page. While the AAV and I myself oppose the sale of unweaned babies we recognize that some owners find themselves in need of instruction on how to safely feed a baby parrot so we have provided this video.

You can find more helpful info at the Association of Avian Veterinarians Owner Resources page.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

Excellent!!! Love the second link with diagrams