• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some help for Niko (RB) [step up, playing, ect]

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
If you don't know about Niko he's 9years old, RB parrot. Who's never had a 'human' or ever been a pet.

So I've had Niko for 6 months now and we're actually finally making progress. Now he lets me pet him, kiss him and now he even comes to the cage door and won't let me shut it.

What I'm wondering is
-Does every bird knows how to step up. Meaning if I offer my hand will he know what to do?
-Any ideas on how to get him to play? He just sits in one spot and does nothing. I've been playing with him with a ball a few times. I give it to him and he throws it down. I say "woo good job!" and he just looks confused. I've put it in his cage and I have seen it moved...and a couple months ago he destroyed one. I've tried so many toys... he only seems to 'touch' them when I talk to him"

We're still taking it slow :p

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Erica:hug8:You are making great progress with Niko:)Stepping up is something that has to be taught.As far as play-it might take lots more time for him to get used to toys and what to do with them:hug8:Baby steps My Dear-Baby steps;)I'm sure that You do not need this-but it does offer some good reading:D

Teaching a Pet Parrot to Step Up

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Wow. If you can figure out how to teach a bird to play, please let me know. Nicky (SC) was kept in an open pen with 2 other sun conures. ONE perch, kids grabbing at him all day, and NOT ONE TOY. He lived that way until I bought him at 11 months old. I see birds on here that delight in play, rolling around happily, & it breaks my heart that he is missing that. I would do anything to be able to see him play. I'm hoping his new jollyball will help. In a few days I'll move it into his cage (it's hanging on the outside now). Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Good luck!:)

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Meant to also say--some birds that have a hard time 'stepping up' find it easier to do if you approach them BEHIND the feet. Say 'step up' & touch the back of the feet, lightly. Make sure he sees your hand coming so he isn't frightened. I think if that works, then you can approach from the front later, & he will 'get it.' I hope it works. Bless you for taking on this bird. I love RBs:)

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Another thing is, if he doesn't like to step up on the hand, try the forearm. They are often scared of hands. Ceddy's readily stepping up for me any time anywhere by now and she's not scared of my hand any more but she still will NOT step up on the finger/hand. She MIGHT step up on a closed fist but by far still prefers the forearm.

As to the playing, keep trying. Also try playing with him watching, getting all 'excited' but act as if you don't want him to join you ('ya know ... things he "can't have" are the most interesting :) ). Try different things. It's taken Ceddy many months to actually play. For the most part she still prefers chewing and foraging.

Maybe start Niko on learning to forage for treats in some kind of basket, container in the cage. Starting out by putting treats in and nothing else, when he's learned that there are treats in that basket, add more and more stuff, like toys and things he has to toss to get to the treats. Eventually he might get interested in the toys themselves rather than just tossing them.

Just some random thoughts that might help getting him interested in doing 'something' :)

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Thanks Bonnie - I'll read that now

Maybe I'll try a stick training before my hand? I just have to be strong and make sure I don't show him I'm scared to be bit. I've only been bit once by him and that was like two days after he was here. He just missed my hand the other day, but I knew what I was doing was wrong. (petting him when my dad was visiting)

I just know he knows his cage is 'safe' and when he comes out it's not what he considers safe. I think I'll have to get more nuts... that's when I actually got him out of the cage. I wouldn't let him have any unless he came out of the cage. And I wouldn't touch him when he was out of the cage... it made him too nervous. Slow is the key :)

Astrid.. I've tried that. He doesn't move in his cage... the only place he moves is his 'sleep perch'. Maybe I'll try again. Hmm... have to pick up some more nutriberries!

Status
Not open for further replies.