• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some general wondering...

Birdyldy79

Meeting neighbors
I got myself a pair of Java Rice Finches just yesterday, not a sper of the moment buy. There are a few things that I need to know but find conflicting information on. For example, grit. I don't know finches and though I've done reading I've read both that it's good to give them crushed oyster shells and I've heard that it's actually BAD for them. So rather than give them some I thought I'd look around for more information and haven't found anything that doesn't contradict another "expert" opinion. So what should I do? I know they need the calcium, I just don't know if I should give as is, grind into fine powder and add a tiny bit every few weeks to food or what.

I've offered them a bowl, bird dish, with some fruit and veggies but they're not even touching that stuff, just eating seeds. Any suggestions on that? I want to ensure they're getting fresh fruit and veggies for the vitamins and what not. Also, as a person with more limited space than I'd like, what size cage should my pair have? Right now the cage is 24x18x19, shaped like a house. Has two dowel perches, a sandpaper perch, tent hung from roof in mid, 4 feed dishes, a ladder and one toy. I don't want to overwhelm them so I'm avoiding putting anything more in there. I have the cage covered on all but one side, the front, top is also covered. Is this a good idea for getting them adjusted? I haven't taken any decent photos yet because I'm avoiding spending any more time too close to them than necessary for now. Don't need to give them any more stress than they've gone through.

Now, anyone familiar with Java Rice Finches knows their basic look with some variations. One of the two has 4 spots on belly over both legs, 2 over right 2 over left. The other only has one white dot over both legs. Easier way to tell them apart. They eat and drink well, one seems to be the leader. For the moment they're just being called Bird 1 and Bird 2. I'll think of better names when I've seen their true personalities. I can't tell if they're both girls/boys or one of each and the place I got them didn't know either. I'd love to do an abdomen inspection but I don't want to grab them and start feeling around. When I get a chance to get better photographs than I have, which are blurry at best, I'll be posting them in another post.

Lastly, I'm wondering if anyone has a good list of fruits and veggies I should be giving them. I found a basic list but would love to see a wee bit more options. Right now they've got an orange bell pepper cut up into fine bits. Yesterday, I gave them a sprig of parsley. Plus they have access to fresh seed and water. Any other basic tips, ideas that you can think of for a newbie would be appreciated.

UrbanSylvanus

Strolling the yard
Hello again!

Grit: Just to be sure, grit and oyster shells are not the same thing. Grit is basically sand to help a bird digest and oyster shells are just a way to get some calcium into them. Javas do not need grit, but they do need a pinch of oyster shell in their food dish. The shell doesn’t need to be ground into a fine dust either, as long as they are tiny pieces.

Cage: They definitely do not need that sandpaper perch, from what I’ve heard a majority aren’t good for bird feet in general. I know they’re still getting used to you so this can be for later but it might be best to replace those dowel perches too.

For my single birb she has a 42.3x30.5x42cm and she seems to use all the space. I can’t tel l if you posted the size in inches or cm so I can’t judge if your cage is too small or not.

Gender:You mentioned that they were around 8 months so. In that case if you have at least one male in there he should be starting to practice singing. Since they’re still nervous it may take some time to hear it though.

Fruits and Veggies: My finch loves apples and pears, and she’s tried broccoli flowers before (taken off their stems to make them look like seeds) Something called mustard spinach(?) here is something she’ll nibble at sometimes too.
Sort of irrelevant, but remember that Javas are omnivores so they do need some animal protein. Dried tiny fish that are sold as cat treats here double as a source of calcium as well!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there! How exciting to have new finches. @UrbanSylvanus covered most of it, I’ll just add a few things. The oyster shell is fine, I like to grind mine. I mix it with smashed up cuttlebone, crushed eggshells, and a tiny bit of charcoal.
Your cage needs to be big enough for them to fly back-and-forth. Not just flap around but actually fly. So you want to put your perches

on each end. Most cages come with long tdowels, you can cut those to fit the shorter way instead.I would like to see them in a cage at least 37 inches long.

There are lots and lots of fruits and vegetables you can feed them. you want to feed more vegetables and a lot less fruit comparatively. Also be sure you’re feeding them some grain foods like quinoa or oat groats. Here is a list to help get you started:
Veggies for finches