• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some general info on sprouting .. thought it might be helpful

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have the same sprout grower, yours looks like it has enough sprouts to supply the local supermarket lol. I would guess your issues could be due to way too many sprouts in it at once. Have you tried only sprouting enough to cover the bottom of the sprouter? If they do not drain well (which they wont do with as many seeds as your pics show) they go yuck pretty fast and the warmer it is the faster that will happen... it is summer where I am and I am now sprouting even less in each tray than I would in winter.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
I have the same sprout grower, yours looks like it has enough sprouts to supply the local supermarket lol. I would guess your issues could be due to way too many sprouts in it at once. Have you tried only sprouting enough to cover the bottom of the sprouter? If they do not drain well (which they wont do with as many seeds as your pics show) they go yuck pretty fast and the warmer it is the faster that will happen... it is summer where I am and I am now sprouting even less in each tray than I would in winter.
Haha
Yes i have got alot of birds to feed so try to get as much sprouts to put with chop as my avairy birds (unfriendly )
Are so eager to get it they will fly on me when they know they are getting it
So I've got my little flock indoor I have a large avairy outside

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha
Yes i have got alot of birds to feed so try to get as much sprouts to put with chop as my avairy birds (unfriendly )
Are so eager to get it they will fly on me when they know they are getting it
So I've got my little flock indoor I have a large avairy outside
You may want to try a larger vessel... I use mason jars & get the plastic mesh used in crafting w/ a plastic ring. This is my setup... These are the mason jars where they always show asparagus in the ball mason wide mouth pic...

20210207_091437.jpg

20210207_091444.jpg

I buy the mesh from walmart in sheets & trace the outside ring w/ permenant marker & then cut town to fit tightly inside the ring.

I wouldn't fill these completely w/ sprouts, especially if you put in rice, beans or corn. I think because of higher sugar levels in these particular things they mold quicker than some other sprouts.

I also do really small grains & seeds in a different homebrew sprouter...