• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some general info on sprouting .. thought it might be helpful

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Thanks Merlie, i was doing a search on this topic because Oakley has been weaned onto sprouted seeds and pellets. I had a fair idea how to sprout but was unsure of the type of container that was required to do it. It is 12.20am over here now and need to go rinse some seeds to have ready for sprouting later. Thanks again.

thebirdygirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeni
I am new here, and though this thread is older, I have to say it has definitely cleared up the sprouting mystery for me. I sprout many seeds for my birds, though they never grew at the same rate. Thank you! Very helpful!:hug8:

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
Just got my first Easy Sprout. How much apple cider vinegar do you add to a soak or rinse? I also have GSE but i noticed that the sprouts smelled earthy yet had a slightly fermenty smell? i added a couple TBLS apple cider vinegar to the seeds as i emptied the dried seeds into the sprouter with water and then i let them sit for about a minute and i rinsed the ACV off the seeds and soaked with water for 12 hours...is it supposed to smell slightly fermenty?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just got my first Easy Sprout. How much apple cider vinegar do you add to a soak or rinse? I also have GSE but i noticed that the sprouts smelled earthy yet had a slightly fermenty smell? i added a couple TBLS apple cider vinegar to the seeds as i emptied the dried seeds into the sprouter with water and then i let them sit for about a minute and i rinsed the ACV off the seeds and soaked with water for 12 hours...is it supposed to smell slightly fermenty?
Everyone has a slightly different method .. here's what I do ..

I let the sprouts soak over night in plain water. I rinse them extremely well before the initial soak.

I rinse them 2 or 3 times a day until they start to sprout a bit .. usually within the first 48 hrs.

Once I think they're "ready" .. I dump them into a bowl cover with fresh water and add a few tablespoons of ACV. I let them soak in the ACV for about 20 mins., then rinse.

I store my sprouts in the fridge, as I make enough to serve over 2 or 3 days, I always have a batch of sprouts going, so pretty much as one batch is used up, there's another ready to go.

They will have an "earthy" smell to them, that's normal.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I sprout for my salads too :) and now our bird just eats with us :) . I buy at Whole Foods and if I don't feel like sprouting I buy a package of already sprouted seeds in the vegetable section.

kookaburra

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Yvonne
Wow, this is a great comprehensive article!! Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Merlie! I'll admit that I purchased a great set of sprout mixes and a nice sprouter from sproutpeople (love them) but I fell of the wagon a few months ago since Tof never went for them. But I wasn't as savvy in hiding the "ickies", so I'm going to give it another shot. Thanks for the motivation! :thanks:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Trader Joe's Organic Pea Shoots?
I posted pics here on sprouting...
I LOVE. China prairie avian sprout mixes! they make it so easy to get the proper seed/nut/legume mixtures especially for parrots. They have a large grain Psitticine mix, and a small grain Micrograin mix...I use both!
Jackie is super great and will help anyone on the phone.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I've been feeding China Prairie sprouted grains that are esp. formulated for avian nutrition...to my Sennie for 7 years...I absolutely LOVE Jackie at China Prairie, Avian Fresh Diet. Ki loves the sprout mixes, its his main dish every day. His feathers are glossy and iridescent. Jackie is a sweetheart, and will be so helpful if anyone needs to call, either for help sprouting, or to order asap cz you ran out...lol (not that that's ever happened to me, just sayin'...)

I buy a 5-LB bag of Psitticine and a 5-LB bag of Micrograin and mix them, cuz Ki likes both. For one bird, I only order every 5-6 months!
Ok- hope I'm not sharing too much here...I just love this product, and I dont have to worry about the mix containing things are are toxic to birds. Hope its helpful.

"Our Avian FRESH Diet-Psittacine was developed at the China Prairie Breeding Facility over a period of 18 years where we worked with approximately 50 species of parrots from Lories to Hyacinths. Avian FRESH Diet-Micrograin was developed at the request of breeders of finches other "soft billed" birds. Since that time, AFD-Psittacine is also being used not only for parrots, but for tortoises, many kinds of rodents; any other vegetarian critter. And it has turned out that the higher level of herb seeds in AFD-Micrograin attracts many parrots, especially Cockatoos. When you observe Cockatoos in the wild, even the larger ones, you see why, as they seek out very small seeds of many types. So, the reason that we include both ADF-P and AFD-M in our Starter Kit is to provide the opportunity for your birds to be the experts. After all, they are smarter than we are about many things." Read More

ABOUT AVIAN NUTRITION

Avian FRESH Diet-Psittacine
TM
The original formula, developed as the parrot food of choice for most parrots:
The 17 sprouting items included in AFD-Psittacine: Hulled Sunflower Seed, Whole Yellow Corn, Whole Oat, Brown Rice, Hi Pro Wheat Berry, Whole Green Pea, Garbanzo, Mung Bean, Buckwheat, Millet, Fenugreek, Pumpkin Seed, Sesame Seed, Quinoa, Radish Seed, Mustard Seed, Red Clover Seed.

Avian FRESH Diet-MicrograinTM
This formula was created for smaller parrots, finches, budgies, cockatiels, pheasants, doves, and other birds requiring smaller components; however it has turned out to be the food of choice for most cockatoos and African Greys. (It’s also enjoyed by their owners, the family dog, vegetarian reptiles and assorted other family pets!)
The 15 sprouting items included in AFD-Micrograin: Triticale, Rice, Millet, Alfalfa, Fenugreek, Buckwheat, Fennel, Flax Seed, Dill Seed, Sesame Seed, Amaranth, Quinoa, Mung Bean, Radish Seed, and Red Clover Seed.

The 100% Natural Avian Nutritional Supplement
To complete the AFD parrot food program we have created FRESH Addition, a 100% natural powdered nutritional supplement that is applied to the sprouts at the time of feeding. Comprised of the finest blue-green algae, barley grass, alfalfa leaf, trace mineral clay, probiotics, and herbs and spices, FRESH Addition is the premium avian supplement. We use no synthetic vitamins whatsoever yet your birds are provided with every element essential to prime health and disease resistance. We use no additional coloring of any kind, yet your birds will immediately recognize and relish this brilliant green flavorful treat for what it is- The Real Stuff. We use no preservatives yet FRESH Addition is stable at room temperature for four months and comes in a sealed wide-mouth jar.

Sprouting Instructions:

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Hello @Merlie! I love your post, it's really informative and helped me a lot to start sprouting for my messy budgies :)

Though, i'm not quite sure about something. Do you have to keep the seeds into a bowl with water or you have to soak them the amount of hours you've said and then shrink them three or four times a day?

I found out my budgies ADORE quinoa and it's one of the most complete seeds, its too sad you can't feed them dry.

Also, was wondering if even if you just soak the seeds would they have increased they nutritional value before sprouting?

Thank you again. Really helpful thread!

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually let my sprout mix soak for at least 12 hours <overnight>. Then drain and rinse. I rinse them 2 - 3 times a day unless they start to sprout a bit.

Not sure about just soaking and serving before they sprout .. that one is above my knowledge base .. lol. I would think that since some seeds are fast sprouting that even soaking them might increase the value, but I'm not 100% sure.

Have you tried puffed/popped Quinoa .. they might like it .. you can Google instructions for how to make it, very simple.

Coki

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Will google now! Thanks for the tip!

I didnt know it was necesario to soak before putting them into a water bowl. I just rince and put them into the water until they sprout. Ofc i rinse a lot.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
How I sprout is I take Rileys' cockatiel seed mix seperate out the seeds she will eat (which is why I am buying a custom seed mix next month as I don't enjoy spending 6 hours seperating seeds) put them in a plastic tupperware contanier add in one tsp AVC and fill the container with water let them soak that night (usually ready to start around 5 or 6pm) and all the next day. The following day is when I start rinsing them I make sure to rinse them atleast 3 times a day on the second day after the last rinising I put them in a shallow dish and let them compleately dry out then the third day (after the soaking) is when I start to serve them. I give Riley her daily amount then divide them in half take half of them over to Tinkerbell and Peter Pan. I then put the extras in containers with lids and store them in the fridge. The reason I soak them for so long is because I found it actually makes them sprout faster. The fisrt time I sprouted I let them soak for the reccommended 12 hours and while the safflower seeds sprouted right away, the red and white millet and canary seeds (the only seeds Riley will eat sprouted or otherwise) didn't start sprouting until the last rinsing on the second day. Last time I sprouted I did it this way and found out that the seeds actually started sprouting before I rinsed them.

Dezzy 3

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Avery
Very informative read. Will try to feed my lovey some quinoa sprouts.

roync

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
roy
im trying my hand at sprouting, before when i tried it was hot and humid and i kept them in a warm place, they soured.......this time i have been rinsing with cold water and keeping them cool........wish me luck

clarousel

Has anyone had luck feeding Fenugreek sprouts to their birds? My budgie is so picky she normally just nibbles the roots :sigh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Has anyone had luck feeding Fenugreek sprouts to their birds? My budgie is so picky she normally just nibbles the roots :sigh:
I love the smell of fenugreek :heart: My rats love them but my bird isn't convinced lol

clarousel

Reading up about sprouting oat groats and some people managed to sprout hulless ones despite some articles saying they need to be hulled.

Anyone here had any luck with hulless oat groats? I'd like to offer them to my budgie since she does nibble in rolled oats now and then.

Queen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bianca
Sorry to bother you merlie I've been recently having problems sprouting
I soak which goes well but the weather her is very humid and the sprouts are just becoming moldy
Am I doing something wrong
I always put them in a big jar to soak first then put them in the sprout container
I've been successfully sprouting up until this summer has started

Attachments