• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some days, I just feel like a bird failure

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Goffin is much the same way. How old is Elvis now?
Sweden is sweet, then nasty, quiet, then ear splitting screeches.
Always wants where I am, nasty when not getting her way.
Spring is always bad for her feathers. And she's over 25 years old.
So hormonal right now, it's not fun having her on me as she's always wanting....well, you know what.
It's so hard giving them what they want and need.
Just do your best...
Every Goffin challenge works out eventually.....until the next one pops up. :wacky:

TLC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Trenny
So, I came home yesterday to find that Elvis had broken off his last tail feather. :( He is now officially a duck butt. And you may have seen from my other post, he cut his face a week ago. (It's healing fine.) And all week he's just been acting really hormonal. So, last night, I decided his beloved hat had to go. Not only does he just go crazy playing with it, (hence all the broken feathers and injuries), he also seemed to be getting hormonal/territorial over it the past few days. So, this morning- no hat. He looked for it for awhile. And I tried to get him to do some other things, which he half-heartedly did. He definitely was giving me the stink eye when I left this morning. I think I made the right decision though. At least for awhile. I definitely feel like I'm failing him lately. :( He is so smart and so energetic. It's hard to provide better when I work full time. He has a bigger cage upstairs that he doesn't like but I'm thinking perhaps now that I'm back at work and not downstairs with him anyway, that it's time to transition him to the upstairs cage. It would at least give him more room.... I'm open to suggestions on how to make him happy....
Quality time over quantity time...I know little but I’d move him to the new cage,

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
So, I came home yesterday to find that Elvis had broken off his last tail feather. :( He is now officially a duck butt. And you may have seen from my other post, he cut his face a week ago. (It's healing fine.) And all week he's just been acting really hormonal. So, last night, I decided his beloved hat had to go. Not only does he just go crazy playing with it, (hence all the broken feathers and injuries), he also seemed to be getting hormonal/territorial over it the past few days. So, this morning- no hat. He looked for it for awhile. And I tried to get him to do some other things, which he half-heartedly did. He definitely was giving me the stink eye when I left this morning. I think I made the right decision though. At least for awhile. I definitely feel like I'm failing him lately. :( He is so smart and so energetic. It's hard to provide better when I work full time. He has a bigger cage upstairs that he doesn't like but I'm thinking perhaps now that I'm back at work and not downstairs with him anyway, that it's time to transition him to the upstairs cage. It would at least give him more room.... I'm open to suggestions on how to make him happy....
Don't worry, your not failing him. Too's are a too is a too.....they tend to want to be the boss and ha ha, they sometimes think they are.
As for cage size, yea, go for it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. To give you an idea, I had my macaw, lou, he had a huge cage, when I took in billy jean, my sulfer crested, ( and already had major my major mitchell) those too's had large cages as well. But....Billy wasn't happy with his cage. It was the same style cage as lou's. Lol...
But he preferred lous cage. Lou would come over mumbling macaw talk...( Can you get this darn bird outta my cage???)
I even tried switching locations of cage of lous and billys, nope, still went for lou's cage. Poor ole Lou gave in and Billy got his way.
You spoke of his hat....I had to laugh about that, as I can relate to that....my sister made this pillow about 5 inches by 5 inches with sewn in birds on it. Gave it to bully jean personally one day. And ever since, Billy treasured that darn pillow. The pillow would sit on a chair and he would seek it out. Heaven forbid anyone sat near or on his pillow the fun began...he'd come in crest up wings out and just having a big fit!!
We had company a couple times and there are times they would say " your bird is creeping me out, just standing in front of me glaring at me!! "
And I'd say, " your sitting on his pillow". I once washed his pillow and he went through house looking for it.. When he realized it came out of the washer and into dryer, the look on his face. He stood by the dryer the whole time waiting for that darn pillow!!
Point is too's are too's , they'll get under your skin in time. They are good at it. They like lots of room, and the advice of an outdoor avery is a good one. Let's them connect to the outdoors and nature.
All my birds love being outside. They are in much better moods once spending an hour or 2 outside.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:jawdrop:Bob, is immune to 'too powers? Even the Eyes? :alexcool:

Tell us your secret. Do you have to wear a magical amulet or foil hat or something?
View attachment 339480
I think, in a former life, I must have been a cockatoo. (don't tell Milton I said that word!) I just seem to "get" them very easily...also, I've have some of their overall personality traits. I tend to think like a 'too in many cases.
I let them know that they can be themselves with me...I'm not going to judge them in anything....I imagine myself in a totally foreign world, just like they are. There are rules in this foreign world that they don't understand...just like me. Sometimes frustration overtakes me...just like them...they like routine, just like me.I can be a little neurotic at times...a little angry...and a little phobic...and all at the same time...just like them. Hey...sometimes I don't know WHAT I want...but I want it NOW...sound like any bird you know? COUGHCOUGHMILTON....
I can be too soft. I know it. And Elvis knows it....
That sums it up well...but being "soft" isn't all that bad. Compassion is a strength you show in every way...Tiels, for example, respond to that...they sense it in people...that is why tiels do so well with you. ;)

As has been said...'toos are a "breed apart"...and a mighty challenge for us humans...but it's a challenge I enjoy every day...I have to do so...Milton won't let me be any other way...Elvis is going to continue to challenge you to do you very best, every day...sometimes that constant challenge is wearing on everybody who is living with those magnificent creatures...including me...:yes3:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think, in a former life, I must have been a cockatoo. (don't tell Milton I said that word!) I just seem to "get" them very easily...also, I've have some of their overall personality traits. I tend to think like a 'too in many cases.
I let them know that they can be themselves with me...I'm not going to judge them in anything....I imagine myself in a totally foreign world, just like they are. There are rules in this foreign world that they don't understand...just like me. Sometimes frustration overtakes me...just like them...they like routine, just like me.I can be a little neurotic at times...a little angry...and a little phobic...and all at the same time...just like them. Hey...sometimes I don't know WHAT I want...but I want it NOW...sound like any bird you know? COUGHCOUGHMILTON....

That sums it up well...but being "soft" isn't all that bad. Compassion is a strength you show in every way...Tiels, for example, respond to that...they sense it in people...that is why tiels do so well with you. ;)

As has been said...'toos are a "breed apart"...and a mighty challenge for us humans...but it's a challenge I enjoy every day...I have to do so...Milton won't let me be any other way...Elvis is going to continue to challenge you to do you very best, every day...sometimes that constant challenge is wearing on everybody who is living with those magnificent creatures...including me...:yes3:

I think, in my former life, I was a MugWump bird. My mug on one side of the fence, my wump on the other.... makes a lot of sense because I'm a Libra and have a hard time balancing the scales and making decisions.. :D

(The funny side of me is Conure.... the nasty side of me is full on Amazon...)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're great with Elvis.

They're birds. They rule. Just ask Secret.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
...testify, my brother, testify! ;)

Amen..brother..amen!! :D

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

My wife said that about me...that I must of been a prehistoric big raptor parrot or bird in previous life. And ate all the people that didn't like birds. Because I have the tendency to chew people's heads off that are ridiculously annoying or ignorant. Lol.....like the people who pull out in front of you when your driving, only to turn just a few feet up the road, like they couldn't wait.
Those kind of people. ( roar....munch munch munch...gulp...mmmmmmm):rofl:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My wife said that about me...that I must of been a prehistoric big raptor parrot or bird in previous life. And ate all the people that didn't like birds. Because I have the tendency to chew people's heads off that are ridiculously annoying or ignorant. Lol.....like the people who pull out in front of you when your driving, only to turn just a few feet up the road, like they couldn't wait.
Those kind of people. ( roar....munch munch munch...gulp...mmmmmmm):rofl:
I can see that! Hee hee

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My Goffin is much the same way. How old is Elvis now?
Sweden is sweet, then nasty, quiet, then ear splitting screeches.
Always wants where I am, nasty when not getting her way.
Spring is always bad for her feathers. And she's over 25 years old.
So hormonal right now, it's not fun having her on me as she's always wanting....well, you know what.
It's so hard giving them what they want and need.
Just do your best...
Every Goffin challenge works out eventually.....until the next one pops up. :wacky:
We don't know how old he is but he's wild caught- so at least 28. We need more Sweden pics!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone. Elvis has actually been really good the past 2 days. Although he does still look for his hat which makes me feel bad. But he's been much calmer with it gone. I think it was triggering some weird hormonal thing. I am looking for something else for us to play with. I tried getting him to play with putting shaped blocks into slots but I think it's to sedentary for him. Lol. He wants to fly and play. I am feeling better about things. I will figure it out.... And I just got his harness out. I am going to try that again. Wish me luck. Lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Don't worry, your not failing him. Too's are a too is a too.....they tend to want to be the boss and ha ha, they sometimes think they are.
As for cage size, yea, go for it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. To give you an idea, I had my macaw, lou, he had a huge cage, when I took in billy jean, my sulfer crested, ( and already had major my major mitchell) those too's had large cages as well. But....Billy wasn't happy with his cage. It was the same style cage as lou's. Lol...
But he preferred lous cage. Lou would come over mumbling macaw talk...( Can you get this darn bird outta my cage???)
I even tried switching locations of cage of lous and billys, nope, still went for lou's cage. Poor ole Lou gave in and Billy got his way.
You spoke of his hat....I had to laugh about that, as I can relate to that....my sister made this pillow about 5 inches by 5 inches with sewn in birds on it. Gave it to bully jean personally one day. And ever since, Billy treasured that darn pillow. The pillow would sit on a chair and he would seek it out. Heaven forbid anyone sat near or on his pillow the fun began...he'd come in crest up wings out and just having a big fit!!
We had company a couple times and there are times they would say " your bird is creeping me out, just standing in front of me glaring at me!! "
And I'd say, " your sitting on his pillow". I once washed his pillow and he went through house looking for it.. When he realized it came out of the washer and into dryer, the look on his face. He stood by the dryer the whole time waiting for that darn pillow!!
Point is too's are too's , they'll get under your skin in time. They are good at it. They like lots of room, and the advice of an outdoor avery is a good one. Let's them connect to the outdoors and nature.
All my birds love being outside. They are in much better moods once spending an hour or 2 outside.
My tiel Sunny was like that with a Steeler blanket. It was his and he didn't want anyone to touch it. Lol. (But me) IMG_1308.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
We don't know how old he is but he's wild caught- so at least 28. We need more Sweden pics!
Glad Elvis is behaving a bit better.

Here is one I took today of Sweden. She didn't feel like flashing everyone, so no bare Too legs today. ;)

P1010022.JPG