• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some changes...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Those accidental bites can really hurt!
Sorry to hear you needed the hospital.

ems08

Walking the driveway
Yikes! I would imagine there's some bruising in addition to the cut. I hope you heal quickly! Can you ice it or take anything for the pain/swelling?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yikes! I would imagine there's some bruising in addition to the cut. I hope you heal quickly! Can you ice it or take anything for the pain/swelling?
Not really, it is bandaged up, I am on constant pain killer and anti inflammatory medication for other issues unfortunately- I guess the good thing is I am already full of what I need to lessen the discomfort from it lol.

So I just found out there was a pic snapped after they stopped the bleeding and before sticking it back together. By the time it was stuck back together my poor finger tip was starting to show some bruising and swelling but it does not feel too bad all things considered- I am honestly shocked how much blood it spilled.

Zoomed in..
2A438DC1-9ECF-4EEB-909C-0595DE558834.png

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That sounds promising! Hormones can be rough, some years worse than others. I’m not sure if someone’s mentioned this or not (lots of comments!), but clipping can actually result in more aggressive behavior; they’re suddenly handicapped, and that can make them feel more “trapped” and makes getting around harder (I’d be annoyed if I had to be in a wheelchair when walking is so much faster!). A lot of the older macaws I’ve worked with had a big temperament change once their flights were allowed to grow in, and they realized they had the option to move as they pleased. Ideally, everything you ask of your bird should be presented as optional (unless required) so that they’re more willing to say “yes” rather than just “no”. Sometimes clipping can help when all other options are exhausted, but I think just respecting new boundaries and patience is best with a fairly hormonal bird! :)
I never once even entertained the thought of clipping my bird and I do not believe I ever will entertain the thought.
My bird always has a choice (other than going to the vet or being told to leave power cords alone) and is always well rewarded for choosing what I would prefer him to do, I do not ever tell him to do anything... I only ever ask. I do not even use or like the step up command- that is what it is, a command- I ask if I can have feet or if he will come to me.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OUCH! That's gonna hurt a few days. Hopefully it will heal fast. Sure sounds like Burt didn't mean to do it. Many fear the big upper beak, but it's those lower beaks that are so strong & sharp.

The sticky strips (we call them Steri-strips in the USA) will keep it pulled together, but yet allow it to drain if needed. The strips can also be cut in half. I had to use them for several weeks after neck surgery, both elbow surgeries, etc..

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Not really, it is bandaged up, I am on constant pain killer and anti inflammatory medication for other issues unfortunately- I guess the good thing is I am already full of what I need to lessen the discomfort from it lol.

So I just found out there was a pic snapped after they stopped the bleeding and before sticking it back together. By the time it was stuck back together my poor finger tip was starting to show some bruising and swelling but it does not feel too bad all things considered- I am honestly shocked how much blood it spilled.

Zoomed in..
View attachment 403929
And that's before the bruising! :( Oh I feel so sorry for you!

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

Zoomed in..
View attachment 403929
I hope your finger gets better soon. I am really sorry.♥

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry you were injured so badly! It is relieving that Burt didn't do it intentionally, and I hope your finger will heal quickly.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zoomed in..
View attachment 403929
Oh goodness he sure got you good. I'm so sorry that happened and hope that it doesn't end up causing you continued pain past the time of healing. I hope the pain lessens soon and that it heals swifty. Thank you for sharing so everyone can see how bad on our fragile skin even an accidental bite can be.

BirdyDarby

Meeting neighbors
I never once even entertained the thought of clipping my bird and I do not believe I ever will entertain the thought.
My bird always has a choice (other than going to the vet or being told to leave power cords alone) and is always well rewarded for choosing what I would prefer him to do, I do not ever tell him to do anything... I only ever ask. I do not even use or like the step up command- that is what it is, a command- I ask if I can have feet or if he will come to me.
I was just referencing your original post where you said you may have to clip your feather baby if the situation couldn’t be improved! : )

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was just referencing your original post where you said you may have to clip your feather baby if the situation couldn’t be improved! : )
Yes, my apologies- you’re right, I did say that I may have to consider it :(
When this first happened I was quite overwhelmed and was encouraged by a few others to consider clipping- it honestly made me sick and miserable to think about even considering it and I actually decided early on if I got to the point where I felt I had no option but to clip to keep me safe that I probably had to not own birds anymore or if I did that they needed to be aviary birds not companion birds.
I didn’t share that as I didn’t want to be overwhelmed with good intentioned messages of how clipping is fine etc.
There’s just a huge part of me that can’t or won’t agree that it is an ok thing to do in 99% of situations.
I know the arguments and I still can’t find a way to accept that it’s an appropriate thing to do- I honestly can’t even look at a clipped bird without wanting to cry and if my bird really felt the need to attack me constantly then he needed to be in a better situation where he didn’t feel the need to try to hurt someone.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear this Shez

Even though it appears to have been accidental i am sure it has some effect on your relationship with Burt.
Sending positive vibes yours and Burts way.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow, he really nailed you! At least he sounds appropriately contrite.

Really sorry you had a trip to A&E and I hope you heal up quickly.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Yes, my apologies- you’re right, I did say that I may have to consider it :(
When this first happened I was quite overwhelmed and was encouraged by a few others to consider clipping- it honestly made me sick and miserable to think about even considering it and I actually decided early on if I got to the point where I felt I had no option but to clip to keep me safe that I probably had to not own birds anymore or if I did that they needed to be aviary birds not companion birds.
I didn’t share that as I didn’t want to be overwhelmed with good intentioned messages of how clipping is fine etc.
There’s just a huge part of me that can’t or won’t agree that it is an ok thing to do in 99% of situations.
I know the arguments and I still can’t find a way to accept that it’s an appropriate thing to do- I honestly can’t even look at a clipped bird without wanting to cry and if my bird really felt the need to attack me constantly then he needed to be in a better situation where he didn’t feel the need to try to hurt someone.
Lurch was clipped when I first got him which I'm sure saved us from kamikaze attacks till he had some time to get used to his new situation. He was mad at the world for taking his owner he loved away and I'm pretty sure the leftover family wanted nothing to do with him and his attitude. He wouldn't even give any warning, just straight to bite as hard and fast as he could to protect himself. So sometimes clipping can save you from getting very bad flying attacks and hurting the bird trying to protect yourself. By the time his flights grew back and he had enough strength to actually fly he wasn't quite as mad any more and was slowly deciding if he should trust and like us.
He was never clipped again and got quite good at maneuvering around to go where he wanted and eventually was very happy. At least when he finally escaped he was able to avoid the crows trying to get him.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So very sorry this is happening @Shezbug. It's such a difficult place to be. :bluhug: Kobe used to be like that but of course he's a fraction of Burt's size. I had to figure out everything that set him off (walking towards him, eye contact, going too close to his cage or another cage, and so on) and work my day around those things so as not to evoke the lunges/attacks. Kobe was back to being gentle at night, so that's when I worked on our relationship... including treats, playing, training. Often training can be a good idea because the bird is earning reinforcement for achieving something. Target training is a great starter exercise if you haven't already trained Burt. Start out when he's in a receptive/calm mood.