• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some bird safe air fresheners from Windy City Parrots

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I received a weekly email from Windy City Parrots and this was written in 2019.

What Can I Use for Bird Safe Air Fresheners?
Mitch Rezman
December 20, 2019
Bird Enviornments / Ringnecks
0 Comments
Last Updated on September 29, 2023 by Catherine Tobsing

Weezie asked “so what can I use for bird safe air fresheners”?

Hi Weezie

There is no end to the combinations of fruits, extracts, spices, and herbs you can use to make your house smell like a slice of heaven without interfering with your bird’s respiratory system.

Individual tastes and experimentation will help you arrive at the perfect one.

If candles and oil are bad, but you are Jonesing for some olfactory holiday cheer, read on.

Sometimes (always) you don’t have the time or you’re not feeling like Martha Stewart.

I want you to put 3 or 4 cinnamon sticks in a microwave-safe bowl filled halfway with water.

Toss in a sliced lemon or lime – nuke for 3 – 4 minutes and you’ll think you morphed into a Disney movie.

For the more adventuristic.

Get out your small stainless steel saucepan and fill it halfway with water.

Put it on the top of your range bring the water to a boil and then turn the flame (or electric control) to simmer.

Because this is an open pot of boiling water, birds cannot be in the same room.

Allow this to simmer.
I'm going to add a note here: use a mini crockpot that you can find a thrift store. Some times very cheap. If you can find one with plastic lid, you can drill vent holes in the lid. This will allow the steam scent to waft out in the air.
YOU STILL HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP YOUR BIRD AWAY FROM IT. STEAM IS HOT AND CAN CAUSE BURNS.
YOU WILL HAVE REPLENISH THE WATER ALSO.

Remember that water is going to evaporate so you must replenish it regularly.

When choosing ingredients, the sturdiest ones are the most durable for long-term simmering like the twiggy herbs sage and rosemary.

Fruits with their rinds still attached.

Use fresh herbs for larger rooms because they have “bigger smells”.

These may have to be removed after 15 to 30 minutes if they become overwhelming.

Now that we’re all set, allow me to offer some bird-safe recipes.

The Spiced Apple

An apple sliced into wedges

Cloves, about a tablespoon

3 or 4 cinnamon sticks

6 or 8 ounces (by volume) of cranberries

It’s Starting to Smell Like Winter

1 tablespoon of dried nutmeg

An orange peel

3 or 4 cinnamon sticks

About 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

2 or 3 slices of ginger.

Feel free to add a few drops of peppermint extract or apple pie spice if you’re feeling randy.

If you are looking for the Hansel and Gretal in the forest olfactory treat

Grab a fistful of fresh pine needles (probably on the floor behind you), toss them into the pot then add a sliced-up lemon.

If you going to serve an Italian dinner over the holidays try this to help everyone get in the mood.

A teaspoon of whole black peppercorns

A sliced lemon

Some basil sprigs, whatever you can grab with your hand.

If you’re getting cabin fever try this

A couple of sliced limes along with two or 3 teaspoons of coconut extract

Don’t stop there get creative

Think about:

Allspice
Anise (or star anise for more potency)
Apple pie spice and try adding your favorite spiced tea to the water.
You can also take all of the ingredients, and toss them into a sealed Mason jar or something recycled. Or try a clove-studded orange.

Keep it on the shelf or give it away as a gift:-

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Those are great tips and recipes.
As I was reading the last one, it reminded me of Xmas Potpourri.
Would that be considered safe? Obviously not to eat....

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I don't think any type potpourri dry is safe.
Me either. People have used acorns, pine needles, cinnamon, orange rind, ginger, nutmeg, and cranberries for home made potpourri. I wasn't sure if it would be safe. I tend to stay on the side of caution with homemade recipes and refrain from making any. One wrong ingredient could spell disaster...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Me either. People have used acorns, pine needles, cinnamon, orange rind, ginger, nutmeg, and cranberries for home made potpourri. I wasn't sure if it would be safe. I tend to stay on the side of caution with homemade recipes and refrain from making any. One wrong ingredient could spell disaster...
If the ingredients you use to make the "potpourri" are all safe ingredients and you are not adding essential oils or any other unsafe ingredients then the mix you make will be fine.

Burt and Birdie have a mix of dried fruits, whole dried flowers, flower petals, herbs and some spices that smells absolutely wonderful on its own but I add it to their pellet mixes.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If the ingredients you use to make the "potpourri" are all safe ingredients and you are not adding essential oils or any other unsafe ingredients then the mix you make will be fine.

Burt and Birdie have a mix of dried fruits, whole dried flowers, flower petals, herbs and some spices that smells absolutely wonderful on its own but I add it to their pellet mixes.
Can you post a list please?
I'm really curious :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you post a list please?
I'm really curious :)
The one I like best so far (which is bird food rather than potpourri but it really smells lovely so I can imagine if you simmered it the scent would be much stronger) is called A little bit of love and the ingredients are: Barberry Bark, Black Sesame Seeds, Calendula Petals, Chamomile, Cloves, Corn, Cornflour Petals, Dandelion Root, Dulse Flakes, Ginger Root, Hemp Seeds, Hibiscus Flower, Jasmine Flowers, Lemon Balm, Milk Thistle Seeds, Mullein Leaf, Pease, Rasberry Leaf, Red Bell Pepper, Red Rosebuds, Rose Petals, Star Anise & White Sesame Seeds.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
The one I like best so far (which is bird food rather than potpourri but it really smells lovely so I can imagine if you simmered it the scent would be much stronger) is called A little bit of love and the ingredients are: Barberry Bark, Black Sesame Seeds, Calendula Petals, Chamomile, Cloves, Corn, Cornflour Petals, Dandelion Root, Dulse Flakes, Ginger Root, Hemp Seeds, Hibiscus Flower, Jasmine Flowers, Lemon Balm, Milk Thistle Seeds, Mullein Leaf, Pease, Rasberry Leaf, Red Bell Pepper, Red Rosebuds, Rose Petals, Star Anise & White Sesame Seeds.
Wow that is quite the list. I bet it smells lovely :)
Thank you for sharing :)