• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some better pics of the new baby.

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
I still can't say that I've ever seen a tiel that looks like this one! I have a good collection of books covering these birds plus I have tons of saved photos from Pinterest and still few that come close to looking like this baby.

Now for a major request: As I have stated before, we have no experience taming a bird that certainly hasn't been hand tamed or even possibly hand fed! Aside from offering treats (millet has already been tried) HOW do you approach a bird like this? I've heard just sitting by there cage and talking too them helps. He/she seems to be interested in the others tiels but doesn't have a clue yet out to interact. So far, he comes out of his cage but tends to stay close then goes back in.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Look like a female. She will eventually get used to you. Just keep up spending time with her and talking to her. Also try playing the sounds of cockatiels from YouTube for her. It can take a few months for a bird to feel secure enough in a new home to begin to relax.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s awfully cute! Yes, sitting by her and talking or reading aloud is a good idea, also some young tiels don’t go crazy over millet at first, but end up really loving it over time. Maybe try saving it just for special treats from you. Just respect her body language and take everything slow.

aashna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
aashna
Tiel is indeed very pretty. Sitting besides the cage is a good idea. I used to sit near the cage and have lunch or breakfast. Initially my tiel saw me, she used to take a couple of steps and go back. One fine day it came to me and started eating with me. They are very sharp and intelligent. They want you to try first before they eat. Smart birds :hehe:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old is she? She's a white face tiel. If she's already had her first couple molts, she's a "she". If her face starts to turn white, she's a "he". She's super cute. As was suggested, sit with her, talk to her, read to her. I literally spent every evening for 2-3 weeks reading magazine articles to Sunny until he got brave enough to come our of his cage. Millet works wonders too. The important thing is just to take things slow. I also found that all my new birds like me to sing silly songs to them. You just want to take things slow and don't want to force things.