• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Solstice's progress

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
I don't mind her mouthing or breaking my clothes I just wasn't sure if I should discourage any breaking on me since she also bites me.

I will definitely try more perches and toys on the side of the cage that's a great idea!!

I'm a little worried that if I "play" with toys in front of her she will bite my fingers. I was sitting there texting and she jumped off the cage onto my hand/ phone and started chewing on me.

BUT an Awesome thing did happen tonight!! I hung some kale on one of her toys and she shredded it!! I'm not sure if she ate any but she played with it at least, so she had to at least have gotten a taste of it! :happydance:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. I was sitting there texting and she jumped off the cage onto my hand/ phone and started chewing on me.
My birds don´t like my phone much either. They like to chew it so I try not to use it while they´re out.

Pris

Meeting neighbors
Ugh OK soo Solstice is doing great. Except she's a chompy chewy little thing :cry: when ever I have time I open her cage doors and sit on the floor infront of her cage and just hang out and last night she flew onto my knee and ate millet off me! Went back on her stand, flew back to me a bit later. Got a little annoyed with being videod so chased my phone. So I moved that outta reach and she's still exploring my lap, nibbles my shirt, pant strings etc, I had my arm across my chest to keep her from climbing up me since I don't want her near my face yet and she was even nibbling my arm hair all nice and gentle. But then decided to chew on my arm like a pup with a chew toy :sad4:

I know you said dont put yourself in a situation where she bites right now but I don't want to dissuade her from coming to me and exploring but if she's going to come and bite me that's not good. I know she's only a baby but I don't know how to handle the biting. My cockatiel was completely different, he bites but not like I'm a chew toy. Please any advice!!! (I know the bites could be worse but want to head off any worse before it happens hopefully!)

She's like the Jack Russell of birds :laughin:tiny, tenacious, always on the move and looking for a job lolol. P. S. I love dogs, not making fun of Russell's, I work at an animal hospital :heart:
She looks EXACTLY like my Jewel! Yellow-green body w a blue rump. Mine got a peach eyebrow after some time and her beak lightened from that vibrant orange. I wonder if yours will too.

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
She looks EXACTLY like my Jewel! Yellow-green body w a blue rump. Mine got a peach eyebrow after some time and her beak lightened from that vibrant orange. I wonder if yours will too.
I was told she was about 2-3 months and that was about 4 wks ago. So I'm thinking she's maybe 4 months old? @Zara you seem to be knowledgeable about baby ages, do you think that's accurate?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was told she was about 2-3 months and that was about 4 wks ago. So I'm thinking she's maybe 4 months old?
Sounds about right. The first pic you posted seems about 3 months old, there was just a tiny amount of black left to fade.
Did they not tell you a hatch date?

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Sounds about right. The first pic you posted seems about 3 months old, there was just a tiny amount of black left to fade.
Did they not tell you a hatch date?
It was an impulse petstore buy :sigh:the kids working were pretty unknowledgeable there. They just gave me an approximate age. And it's poor wings were already clipped. Hopefully they'll grow out soon, all though she's managing quite well!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww :( Would have been nice to get the date at least to the nearest week but it is what is it I guess.
I saw the wings, I noticed instantly because in that mutation, I just love the flight feathers. Don´t worry, they will grow back within the year hopefully :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Love the video :D

That always makes me laugh, when birds push toys off the edge then tilt their heads and look down with one eye :rofl:

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
OK I haven't posted in a while but here we are! Solstice is at least destroying vegetables lol not sure if she is ingesting or not yet but progress!! And she always wants to be on my which is hard because the biting. If I am anywhere near the cage she will jump on me. Here's a video from this morning. Other wise she is doing great, very busy always on the move and want to be out of her cage all the time. Very smart and a great problem solver like if she accidentally end up on the floor she can get herself back up to the cage. My cockatiel will just walk around calling for me to come rescue him if he end up on the floor or lands anywhere not his cage :laughin:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3jBNEuRaoxvB1kW_EumkAdpDlZ9v7S4_

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
OK she def is eating peppers, green beans, and some lettuce!!! Yay!!!

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
Solstice now draws blood when she bites :cry: and she bites whenever she is on my skin. Even though she puts herself there herself. I can't do anything near her cage with out her jumping on me if she's out. I can't change her bowls with out her coming out and trying to get on an bite me. :sigh: