• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Solo Budgie

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I have had only “solo” budgies all my life and never in pairs. You are making great progress with him being he’s a new bird and still becoming familiar with you over 6 months. I can assure you that he’s fine, especially for just 4 hours! I don’t know too much about the pairs but I don’t think it is necessary in this situation.

I feel like it’s not a bad thing to give them alone time for a few hours. Sometimes I feel that my Luke needs his space from me from time to time ;)

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Wow! He sure looks loved! :heart: I had a few suggestions judging from the pictures though.

1. I would recommend you switch him to pellets that are not colored and don't have any seeds mixed in. My favorite brands are Harrison's and Tops. Save the seeds for training or else seeds won't have much value since he gets them whenever he wants.
I looked up both brands of pellets and I noticed it says parrot food on it? I’ve seen quite a bit of stuff like that, and I am unsure so I only buy things that specifically say parakeet/budgie on them. Can I get food/treats that say parrot or other birds on them? As well as this for his health I would like to get some pellets soon, and it looks like the only ones in store near me are ZuPreem, does anyone know anything about this brand? Thank you to everyone again so much for all of the help!! I am excited to make his life as happy as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
1. I would recommend you switch him to pellets that are not colored and don't have any seeds mixed in.
I looked up both brands of pellets and I noticed it says parrot food on it? I’ve seen quite a bit of stuff like that, and I am unsure so I only buy things that specifically say parakeet/budgie on them. Can I get food/treats that say parrot or other birds on them? As well as this for his health I would like to get some pellets soon, and it looks like the only ones in store near me are ZuPreem, does anyone know anything about this brand? Thank you to everyone again so much for all of the help!! I am excited to make his life as happy as I can.
@DaisyPeach Budgies are granivores and their diet has seeds in it too (remember not to give more than a few sunflower seeds per day though).
If you introduce pellets, your bird may not like the ones you prefer them to eat, and so the colourful ones will be better than none.
Quite a few members here on AA use zupreem.
Some pellet info: Pellets for Parrots

@Ripshod @Lori D Pert @Kiwi's Mom

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There's a saying you'll see all over the Avenue - the best pellet is the one they'll eat. Mine get a free choice of Top's, Zupreem Naturals and Hagen Tropican, and they all get eaten.
The seed thing - budgies are granivores and need some seed in their daily diet. Some people recommend 20-25‰ seed, but with highly active budgies up to 35% is okay. There's a lot of difference between the seed mixes too. I'm transitioning mine from Hagen Gourmet onto the Zupreem Smart Selects, mainly because the have half the fat (and Angel has a paunch but please don't mention I said that).
One or two? The age old conundrum. Budgies can be fine at first, but when they grow into adults that can change. Keep Bloo as a solo budgie and see what happens, 4hrs is nothing to a budgie. Toys and foraging will keep his mind busy for that time. A busy budgie is a happy budgie.
I've looked at the photos and the length of the nail is fine in that first pic. To trim nails that don't need it makes it awkward for them to grip perches, makes them feel insecure. If the nails get caught in an item of clothing change it not the budgie.
We invite budgies (a wild animal) into our homes for them to lead a happy life with us, so it's down to us to make the environment fit them.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
As has been said a good pellet is one that they will eat. Pellets are not a natural food for budgies so most of the time they need to be coaxed to try them. I have tried many and have settled with All Living Things" Premium pellets simply because they get eaten. Even saying this, I must grind them up. For seed I have always used Zupreem Smart Select. The pellets are offered first thing in the morning mixed with their chop. Again, this is because they get eaten this way. Their seeds are offered after. Chop is removed after a few hours but the pellets are there all day. @Ripshod is right about the nails. Once you start to trim them you will likely have to continue. Unless the nails are obviously hindering their ability to grab or grip a perch or if their feet cannot flatten out to walk and land on a flat surface, I'd avoid trimming.

I'm transitioning mine from Hagen Gourmet onto the Zupreem Smart Selects, mainly because the have half the fat (and Angel has a paunch but please don't mention I said that).
So does Sam....lol. But she has been much more active with Scout around. We call her PudgePot and she is, of course, properly indignant. If she would just stop eating all our spaghetti and drinking our beer she wouldn't get called that! I'm kidding of course...;)

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Budgies ARE parrots! I think they’re considered the smallest member of the family but I could be wrong. Regardless, as long as the size is appropriate, stuff labeled for parrots should be just fine for a budgie.

Also, I’m one of those people who feeds Zupreem pellets because it’s what they’re willing to eat. Konrad usually gets the fruit flavor, but he’s recently taken a liking to the nut flavor that my tiel eats. I thought the pellets would be too big since they’re sized for cockatiels but he manages just fine.
He also gets a measure of seed in the evening and I keep offering the chop even though he just picks through it for the parts he likes :xflove:
Also- I love seeing all these other beautiful blue budgies!! They remind me of a summer sky.

Attachments

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I feed my Budgies about 60% pellets 30% seed everyday

They eat Zupreen Fruitblend but I’m going to try to switch to natural sometime soon.

They also get a cookied grains/chop mix from a nearby birds store 2 or 3 times a week.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
Since you're new to this sorta thing, here's some links.
Not everyone on this forum supports BirdTricks' YouTube, but these links will help you get started. Planet Pleasures and Parrot Joy sell bird safe bird toys, and I enjoy watching ElleAndTheBirds. People also suggest Parrot Playhouse, Flock Talk, Marlene Mc Cohen and BirdTricks does have lots of videos and articles on diet, sleep, baths, etc.