• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Solo Budgie

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Hi there! My parents gifted me a male budgie for my birthday, just the one because they were told that way he would be sure to bond with me. I have had him for 3 months and he is about 6 months old now. He lives with my partner and I, and is very bonded to both of us. His cage is very large with many toys, but he also always has the option to come out when we are there. Most of the time I work short 4 hour shifts, so that is usually the maximum amount of time he ever spends alone, but sometimes I have to work longer shifts when my partner is also gone, and I feel very bad about that. I leave music playing while I am gone, and he seems very happy and generally does enjoy spending time playing on his own. There has been times where he spends a couple days just in his cage playing even though his door is open and we are there. He seems happy all the time, and the only anxiety I have seen is this one occurrence when we were about to go to bed, he freaked out and had to come out to unwind for a while. I think something may have spooked him, as he had never done that before. I was interested in one day getting a budgie friend for him, but I had been afraid that he would not bond to me at all because he was very skittish and shy at first, and I did not realize how incredibly social they are(I usually would research way more before getting a pet but he was a surprise) I still would love to get him a friend one day, but I am nervous they would not get along. I simply do not have room for if we had to keep them separate. Is there certain requirements for if they should be the same age/size/ or anything else? Is he okay with the amount of time he does spend alone? Again I try to keep it to a minimum and my partner and I both spend every extra second with him. I am also open to any tips about anything in general! I want to make sure he is as happy and healthy as possible. Thank you so much!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Welcome to the Avenue @DaisyPeach . Sounds like you have made good progress with him:) :yah:
Is he okay with the amount of time he does spend alone?
If he is alone only for 4 hours a day, he should be fine :D
I still would love to get him a friend one day, but I am nervous they would not get along. I simply do not have room for if we had to keep them separate
If you don't have room to house them separately, I would advice not to get another budgie. Also, being bonded to a human is not unhealthy anyways :shrug:
Is there certain requirements for if they should be the same age/size/ or anything else?
It is not a rule of thumb, but birds of similar age tend to get along better:). Also be sure not to house 2 different species together, as the bird which is bigger in size, can bully the smaller one.
I am also open to any tips about anything in general!
These are good threads on budgies:)
Also be sure to never use aerosols in the same space in which your budgie lives, as bird lungs are very sensitive. Also, I am pretty sure you know this, but posting anyways, teflon with birds is a :bignono: .
And at last :needpics:

Last edited:

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much!! I am not worried about him being bonded to people I am mostly worried that he is not getting enough from me. He seems very happy I just wanted to make extra sure that he was not alone too much!! His name is Bloo and here are some photos:)

Attachments

birbgirl

Moving in
I have a cockatiel and worry that he may be too lonely at times when I have to work. Bloo is sooo cute, by the way! I was thinking of putting on tv for him when I can't be around. Does anyone know if this helps? I was thinking it couldn't hurt? Sorry, I'm new to caring for birds

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I am mostly worried that he is not getting enough from me
I compeltely understand. I had the same feelings with my first bird because I was working 8 hours back then. Honestly, with the few hours you work, you are around a lot to spend time with him and offer flight time. You could offer some foraging activities before you go to work to keep him occupied while you are a away.
If you did get a second bird, do it for you. Though budgies tend to be more acepting of a second bird, it´s never a guarantee. Also remember to get the second bird, you would need to quarantine the new bird in a cage in a different room for at least a month.

I was thinking of putting on tv for him when I can't be around. Does anyone know if this helps?
Some put the TV or radio on for their birds :)
You could introduce some foraging opportunities for while you are away to offer some enrichment and keep your bird entertained while you´re not around.

It is not a rule of thumb, but birds of similar age tend to get along better:). Also be sure not to house 2 different species together, as the bird which is bigger in size, can bully the smaller one.
Birds of the same species is the best bet for success, but never guaranteed. And you will find it is usually the smaller one who pesters the larger one, and when the bigger bird claps back, that´s when injuries or even death occur.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
@DaisyPeach and @birbgirl your feathered friends are so cute! I have two budgies and they actually like he sound of voices over music. I have two radio stations that I play for them when I have to leave. One is a news radio station. The other plays music but has a lot of conversation going on. Enjoy this site. There is much useful information and many helpful people.

BirdWorld

:hi: Your budgie is beautiful! It is true that a single bird is much more likely to bond with a human. I have two budgies myself and they are not tame. Congrats on the progress you've made by bonding with him :)
I am also open to any tips about anything in general! I want to make sure he is as happy and healthy as possible.
Do you have natural wood perches in the cage? From what I saw in the pics there are only dowels and having more dowels than natural wood perches can begin all sorts of problems. I also see that he seems to be on a seed diet. Pellets are much better. On average budgies should have 25% seed, 25% vegetables and fruits, and 50% pellets :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Take it from a long time budgie person they are flock oriented, hard wired to be in a flock of budgies. You may see signs of happiness however you "aint seen nothing" compared to the joy they have with a cage mate. If your parents wont go for another budgie then there is not much you can do.

I would get two budgies. You can still bond with two. How fast they bond with you depends on how much time you spend with them. They are flock birds. If you spend plenty of time with them, you will be part of their flock. Usually budgies do better in pairs (or just more than one) so that they have a buddy for when you have to leave.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Bloo is adorable. It is true that budgies are flock animals but I have had them as only birds as well. When I got Sam I didn't think I would have more than 1. Sam was an only bird for 1 1/2 years and is totally tamed. She was happy. We were also with her all day. She was NEVER in her cage...lol. My decision to get a second was entirely for me. I have the time and space to give to another bird. Sam has not gotten less tame but is more active with Scout in the house. They got along well after quarantine and I am very pleased. Scout is not fully tamed but is getting there. It has been easier with Sam already tamed. But it is your decision. It's best to keep them separate until quarantine is over and to see how they interact. 4 hours alone in the day is not too bad if Bloo is allowed out of cage the rest of the time. As Bloo is a male, if you decide on another either a male or female would most likely be accepted. You don't say how large your cage is but unless it's a flight cage a bigger one would likely be required. Whatever you decide as long as your bird is happy and active is the most important thing.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Thank you so much!! I am not worried about him being bonded to people I am mostly worried that he is not getting enough from me. He seems very happy I just wanted to make extra sure that he was not alone too much!! His name is Bloo and here are some photos:)
Wow! He sure looks loved! :heart: I had a few suggestions judging from the pictures though.

1. I would recommend you switch him to pellets that are not colored and don't have any seeds mixed in. My favorite brands are Harrison's and Tops. Save the seeds for training or else seeds won't have much value since he gets them whenever he wants. Also, make sure to feed chop. By chop, I don't mean one vegetable in a food dish. I mean 5+ vegetables with some cooked whole grains mixed in. Organic is always best! :)

2. I noticed that he is on a dowel perch in the photo... As long as he has lots of other natural, textured wood perches, it shouldn't be an issue. For a budgie, I'd recommend having 4+ different types of perches. The dowel perch can cause foot problems. So can sandstone.

3. This isn't as important as my other points, but I noticed the food bowl he is eating from. I would recommend you put his food in a stainless steel food bowl. You can find some reasonably priced ones on amazon.

4. Oh, and finally, this isn't AS important for budgies as it is for bigger birds, but I was thinking you could maybe put some soft wood toys in there for him to chew up? My friend's cockatiel and green-cheeks love sola wood. :)

Sincerely, Adriana R.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Sorry I am still navigating this website and how to reply/stuff, but I just wanted to thank everyone and provide some more info!! I have learned that pellets are recommended and I will be buying some tomorrow! He has a natural wood perch but I also am about to buy more. Any recommendations for his long nails? He is pretty tame but he has had an issue with hands since I got him, and it would be very upsetting for him to have to be held and get his nails clipped. I do have a flight cage! Maybe a little big for one bird who is out all day but he loves it. Also, I have a wide open food dish as well as the dispensing one, since the wide dish is easier access, but the dispensing one always has fresh seeds with no shells on top. What are some good foraging activities for while I am gone? I will look into soft wood toys, he Loves to chew things to bits!

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Sorry I am still navigating this website and how to reply/stuff, but I just wanted to thank everyone and provide some more info!! I have learned that pellets are recommended and I will be buying some tomorrow! He has a natural wood perch but I also am about to buy more. Any recommendations for his long nails? He is pretty tame but he has had an issue with hands since I got him, and it would be very upsetting for him to have to be held and get his nails clipped. I do have a flight cage! Maybe a little big for one bird who is out all day but he loves it. Also, I have a wide open food dish as well as the dispensing one, since the wide dish is easier access, but the dispensing one always has fresh seeds with no shells on top. What are some good foraging activities for while I am gone? I will look into soft wood toys, he Loves to chew things to bits!
For the long nails, I recommend Sweet, Feet, and Beak :). It has sandstone on the side to trim the nails, and wood where the foot will be resting :).

Birds LOVE to chew things, hahaha. For soft wood toys, you can find some parts on MakeABirdToy.com

As for foraging activities, there are some really good ones on amazon :)

Sincerely, Adriana R.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
He sounds like a very happy little guy. Alot of budgies have issues with hands but will happily land on your arm or shoulder or step up on a bird ladder. If he likes to chew an old toilet paper roll can amuse him for hours..lol. I can't see his nails that well but not all budgies need them clipped. Does he snag on things? Avoid any sandpaper type perches. Natural wood are best.

BirdWorld

Hmm, is the nail issue bad? The way you can tell if the nails are too long is by having him stand on a flat surface. If the tips of the toes are lifted, nails are too long. You may have to get them clipped, either by yourself or by a vet. Usually when they have natural wood perches they naturally wear down the nails and keep them from getting too long.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think all flock birds like same species flock mates. That said, I currently have two budgies who don't get along. It is unclear as of yet if they will work it out or not. So if you get another, be prepared to have to duplicate everything, including cages.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but do have have natural perches in the cage for his feet. Having natural perches from the pet store (or outside but make sure they are VERY clean) can help avoid foot infections down the road.
Edit: I just realized @BirdWorld posted the same question.

DaisyPeach

Meeting neighbors
Bloo only sometimes gets snagged on my sweaters and shirts that are soft, and on the laces of this shoe toy that he has. If I do have to get them trimmed, I may try to wait a few months until my vet friend can come because I trust her. I feel very bad about this, but just earlier I was running late to work, and he would Not get in his cage. I have never had such a bad problem with it before, he just kept flying away and would not go near the door. I tried getting him to step up on his favorite objects to stand on, and I tried to lure him in with a treat, but he flew away from the door every time. I ended up having to drape a very soft light cardigan over him to pick him up. I was very gentle and his head was out the whole time. He only squawked once, and then was quiet. He then held his wings away from his body when he sat in his cage, but he does that every time he flies around a ton and is hot and tired. I couldn’t think of what else to do, and my job is very strict about being on time. I will simply allot more time before work to get him in, but I am very nervous i stressed him out or scared him by doing this. I had read about other people draping tea towels over their budgies to pick them up, but I never wanted to do that to him ):

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Bloo only sometimes gets snagged on my sweaters and shirts that are soft, and on the laces of this shoe toy that he has. If I do have to get them trimmed, I may try to wait a few months until my vet friend can come because I trust her. I feel very bad about this, but just earlier I was running late to work, and he would Not get in his cage. I have never had such a bad problem with it before, he just kept flying away and would not go near the door. I tried getting him to step up on his favorite objects to stand on, and I tried to lure him in with a treat, but he flew away from the door every time. I ended up having to drape a very soft light cardigan over him to pick him up. I was very gentle and his head was out the whole time. He only squawked once, and then was quiet. He then held his wings away from his body when he sat in his cage, but he does that every time he flies around a ton and is hot and tired. I couldn’t think of what else to do, and my job is very strict about being on time. I will simply allot more time before work to get him in, but I am very nervous i stressed him out or scared him by doing this. I had read about other people draping tea towels over their budgies to pick them up, but I never wanted to do that to him ):
I think just about every budgie owner has had to get creative getting our little feathered creatures back into the cage..lol. Towelling them should be a last resort but I think we've all been there. Just tonight I had to play come get me with Sam as she wasn't in the mood for night night. She has her own sleep room though and as long as I get her in that room she will find her way into her cage. Once I close the door to the room, she is always beside Scout when I go in later. That is a bird proof room though. Is their a safe space to put both cage and bird if it came to that? If not a towel may be the safest thing. He will get over it.