• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft white feather problems?

BirdieRich

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Asha Richardson
Hi,
My parrot named Birdie loses a lot of her white feathers (all the time.). She is about 8 years old and recently I noticed a lot of white feathers on her bird stand. I am wondering is this normal behavior or do I need to take her to the vet? Every once in a while I’ll see a long green feather, but it’s her soft white feathers I’m talking about.
I don’t know if I need to worry about feather mites..

Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My birds both start loosing a lot of their downy feathers a short while before moulting their actual feathers......

Has she seen a vet for regular (yearly) checkups? Could she possibly be moulting? What makes you mention mites?

EDIT: I forgot to say- Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

BirdieRich

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Asha Richardson
Thank you for welcoming me! I only mentioned mites because I’ve read that parrots can have feather mites.

she has not been to the vet. We are in an area where they don’t have an Avian vet.

she looks normal to us, Although I don’t know what would look not normal.

I don’t notice any extra scratching or other noises, just a lot of these white feathers that go all over the house...

thank you!$

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most of us are not in an area where there are Avian Vets- I have to travel about 2hrs one way to my closest AV. It is best to find one that is closest to you so you are not struggling to find one when you need one in a hurry. If you share your approximate location the members here will likely be able to help you with finding one.
The downy feathers dropping could be the start of a moult.

Feel free to share pics of your bird- we love birdie pics here :)