• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft to whole food

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Just got this little guy today he is 3 weeks. He is on the soft mush stuff they sent with him. They told me to feed every 4/5 hrs. He seems to get hungry b4 then, so I been feeding him. But here is the question should I feed him more, when should I start adding other stuff to it. Thank u!

Attachments

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He is adorable! Many congrats to you both!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Feed him when his crop is empty or almost empty. Do you have any hand feeding experience? Do you have a gram scale so you can weigh him daily? Looks more than 3 weeks old to me. Start adding other foods when he starts picking on things. What formula are you using?

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
I have a small postage scale that does grams too. I just set their little T stand on and calibrate it. So a food scale should work nicely too!
Ok great. I will have the hubby get it out in the am. Al no real experience hand feeding. I give some treats to my aunt Parrot but that it. Also what kind do you think he is. I was thinking white fronted

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Giving treats to a parrot is not the same as hand feeding the parrot. Are you spoon feeding or syringe feeding? Were you shown how to do it? Looks like a white-fronted Amazon to me. What are you keeping the little guy in?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Are you located in the U.S. Tiffany? Are you using a digital thermometer to make sure your formula is the correct temperature to feed at? If so, what is the temp you are feeding this baby? Can you provide photos of what you are keeping him in and possibly a video of the feeding process? Many times when people ask for a little help we don't get enough information from them and have to ask a lot of questions to assist. I've never seen formula like the photo you shared. Call the person you bought this baby from and find out the brand name. It almost looks like crushed up pellets to me... not quite the same as formula I have fed in the past.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Also... can you get a clear shot of a closer view of the nostrils? From what I can see they look like they are blocked... possibly from formula but it's too hard to see. Is the crate behind the bag of food what you are keeping the baby in?

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Also... can you get a clear shot of a closer view of the nostrils? From what I can see they look like they are blocked... possibly from formula but it's too hard to see. Is the crate behind the bag of food what you are keeping the baby in?
hos nostrils was clogged I got them clean. They never told me to warm his food. He is eating it fine. I use room temperature water. I am not in the USA. I am in Mexico. I was told yesterday by the ppl we got him from he was too small for a small cage I have.

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Tiffany, when you were a baby.... your mother warmed your food. These babies also need warm food. Please go ... today... and buy a digital thermometer. When you mix the food the breeder gave you... is it lumpy or a smooth consistency when it's mixed? The temperature of the formula when you feed it should be AT LEAST 105-107 degrees Fahrenheit. If it's too hot you can burn the crop... Please get a digital thermometer today.

This is the issue with feeding food that isn't the proper temperature for young birds. For them.... Cool food can take longer to digest, the longer it sits in the crop the higher the possibility fungus and bacteria can grow in the crop... resulting in Crop Stasis.... which means the crop cannot digest food properly -to save me time from typing a ton of information.. I've copied and pasted this information for you. It's imperative you do this or this baby could get sick very quickly.
I have appointments to go to today so I hope someone else can follow up about a better place for you to keep this young bird in instead of a wooden crate.

What are Crop Stasis? Hand-fed chicks commonly have issues with crop stasis and impaction. With this condition, your bird’s food is not moving through the digestive tract as it is supposed to and it creates a barrier that eventually stops anything from getting through. If not treated right away, a secondary bacterial, fungal, or yeast infection may occur and that will shut down the digestive system completely. This is very serious and needs immediate veterinary care. The impaction of the crop is usually from formula separation, which is caused by neonate formula being too cold or not mixed completely. Some cases of crop stasis are from the chicks ingesting materials such as bedding or other items that block the crop from draining properly. A visit with an avian veterinary professional is needed to confirm this. Crop stasis (crop impaction, sour crop) refers to the reduction or complete stoppage of the flow from the crop to the rest of the digestive tract. This is similar to intestinal obstruction in humans and can be just as dangerous. In fact, if not treated in a timely matter, this condition will lead to death.

It can affect any sex, age, and breed but is mostly found in neonates (chicks) and juvenile birds under six months old. This may be caused by a number of different factors, including dehydration, infection, or feeding the chicks with formula that is too cold. Some of the signs may be recurrent diarrhea, regurgitation, or you may be able to see a full crop that is not emptying. Complications include secondary infection, hypoglycemia, severe dehydration, or aspiration of food. Any one of these can be fatal for your bird. Symptoms of Crop Stasis in Birds The most obvious sign is a full crop, but there are several other signs you may notice such as: Crop full for an extended period of time (over 24 hours) General ill appearance Lack of appetite Frequent regurgitation or vomiting Inactivity Dehydration Fluffing up Diarrhea Agitation Depression Types Crop Stasis is a term used when the crop is slow to empty, but some food and water is getting through Impaction is what follows, which is a complete blockage of the crop from the rest of the digestive tract; this is a life threatening emergency Causes of Crop Stasis in Birds There are many causes of crop stasis, some of which include: Dehydration Ingesting foreign material Infection Overfeeding (this can stretch the crop) Formula that is too cold or not mixed right Environmental temperature too low Heavy metal toxicity Diagnosis of Crop Stasis in Birds If you think your bird has crop stasis, it is important to get it checked by an avian veterinary professional. They are more familiar with all things avian and are better prepared to treat this condition. Because crop stasis can be fatal if not treated right away, it is better to see a veterinarian as soon as you think there is a problem. Do not wait longer than 24 hours because an infection caused by the material in the crop can become infected quickly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You should contact the people you purchased him from and ask them how they were feeding the baby. The food needs to be hotter than room temperature water. How mushy do you get those pellets? Before there was hand feeding formula I used zupreem monkey chow, some baby food and some other things added to the mix. Added hot water and made everything very mushy and as smooth as possible. I would test the formula to make sure it was the right temperature, not too hot and not too cold. Would feed via a syringe. It's easier today with the hand feeding formulas that are available such as Exact.
You should also find out if they have a hatch date for the baby because it is more than 3 weeks old and it would be nice for you to have that information. What does the baby weigh? Weigh in the AM after it poops and before you feed the baby and keep records of how much it weighs daily as well as how much food it is eating.

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
You should contact the people you purchased him from and ask them how they were feeding the baby. The food needs to be hotter than room temperature water. How mushy do you get those pellets? Before there was hand feeding formula I used zupreem monkey chow, some baby food and some other things added to the mix. Added hot water and made everything very mushy and as smooth as possible. I would test the formula to make sure it was the right temperature, not too hot and not too cold. Would feed via a syringe. It's easier today with the hand feeding formulas that are available such as Exact.
You should also find out if they have a hatch date for the baby because it is more than 3 weeks old and it would be nice for you to have that information. What does the baby weigh? Weigh in the AM after it poops and before you feed the baby and keep records of how much it weighs daily as well as how much food it is eating.
They was just mixing water with it. It was still chunky. I am getting it a smooth as I can. No they didnt have a hatch date. They said 3 weeks. I was thinking maybe 4 or 5 weeks under 7 tho.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Do you have a food processor or a coffee grinder? If so, you could grind up the pellets that you are using into a powder.