• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft to whole food

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Who is they that you refer to? A breeder?
It was someone we seen on the beach yesterday. They was wanting to get rid of it. They was telling 0pl it would be a great child pet. So I had to get it. I didnt want a chance a bad home. I felt so sorry for it. They was selling it for $45

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was someone we seen on the beach yesterday. They was wanting to get rid of it. They was telling 0pl it would be a great child pet. So I had to get it. I didnt want a chance a bad home. I felt so sorry for it. They was selling it for $45
Was good of you to take the bird. Said that they were just walking along the beach and trying to sell her/him to anyone.
How is she doing today? Are you helping to order hand feeding formula such as Exact?

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Was good of you to take the bird. Said that they were just walking along the beach and trying to sell her/him to anyone.
How is she doing today? Are you helping to order hand feeding formula such as Exact?
He is doing really good. I am trying to get the right amount of water to food formula. But I think I got it now. We just did a big feeding. Lots and lots of chirping today. Yes I felt so bad for the little guy. I was really not in a good time for another one. But we are making it work. My husband is planning on building a big cage for him soon. I went a head and put him in a travel cage for right now. He us eating good and pooping good. I am already in love with him. I got a thermometer today. He is eating warm food now.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He is doing really good. I am trying to get the right amount of water to food formula. But I think I got it now. We just did a big feeding. Lots and lots of chirping today. Yes I felt so bad for the little guy. I was really not in a good time for another one. But we are making it work. My husband is planning on building a big cage for him soon. I went a head and put him in a travel cage for right now. He us eating good and pooping good. I am already in love with him. I got a thermometer today. He is eating warm food now.
Glad to hear he is doing well. I can't stress enough how important it is to feed at the correct temperature. It's equally important for him to be warm. If he gets cold that will also slow down his metabolism. Clean wood shavings would suffice or clean fleece blankets. What is the temperature inside your home? 75-80 degrees should keep him comfortable. Are there any pet stores in your area? If there are I would suggest buying a quality hand feeding formula like this Kaytee Exact https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-exact-...MI75On8pqa4gIVTUsNCh0wSQswEAQYASABEgJvf_D_BwE .

There are other brands available as well. You will be feeding this little one for a while so get what you need before you run out of what that person gave you. When you do buy the proper formula you will want to mix some of what you already have with the new formula gradually. Don't do any sudden changes in the diet.

Also... with your current food... can you use a stainless steel bowl and stainless steel spoon to crush and mix instead of the other thing you are using? I don't know what it is made of but I worry bits of that will rub off into your formula and cause problems.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I also want to add... after every feeding you need to sterlize all the utensils you use including bowls you mix the food in and feed with. You have to eliminate any possible exposure to foreign bacteria. Especially if you are using the same sink to wash those items as you use for washing your own dishes or other raw foods like chicken or shrimp.

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
Glad to hear he is doing well. I can't stress enough how important it is to feed at the correct temperature. It's equally important for him to be warm. If he gets cold that will also slow down his metabolism. Clean wood shavings would suffice or clean fleece blankets. What is the temperature inside your home? 75-80 degrees should keep him comfortable. Are there any pet stores in your area? If there are I would suggest buying a quality hand feeding formula like this Kaytee Exact https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-exact-...MI75On8pqa4gIVTUsNCh0wSQswEAQYASABEgJvf_D_BwE .

There are other brands available as well. You will be feeding this little one for a while so get what you need before you run out of what that person gave you. When you do buy the proper formula you will want to mix some of what you already have with the new formula gradually. Don't do any sudden changes in the diet.

Also... with your current food... can you use a stainless steel bowl and stainless steel spoon to crush and mix instead of the other thing you are using? I don't know what it is made of but I worry bits of that will rub off into your formula and cause problems.
I live in Mexico where we dont use air conditioners. Our houses are made from concrete so it stays comfortable here. Would a blender work? My closest pet store is about 3 hours away. But I am getting ready to fly into the states for a week so I am picking up stuff for both of birds there.

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany

I live in Mexico where we dont use air conditioners. Our houses are made from concrete so it stays comfortable here. Would a blender work? My closest pet store is about 3 hours away. But I am getting ready to fly into the states for a week so I am picking up stuff for both of birds there.

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
I also want to add... after every feeding you need to sterlize all the utensils you use including bowls you mix the food in and feed with. You have to eliminate any possible exposure to foreign bacteria. Especially if you are using the same sink to wash those items as you use for washing your own dishes or other raw foods like chicken or shrimp.
I used the same equipment everytime Nothing else gets used with it. Everything gets cleaned very good after each feeding. Even the table I use for feedings.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A blender would work fine. Just be sure it's very clean before you use it and store the formula in an air tight container to keep any moisture ( even such as humidity in the air) from your supply of this food to prevent mold. If you need a list of items for your baby just ask. Who will take care of the bird while you are gone? Are there any qualified vets around your area you could take this bird to for a check up? It will need a thorough exam and it's always good to be prepared for medical help should any problems arise. You also mentioned your husband will be making a cage for this bird. What will he be using? Many wires have toxic metals for birds.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would have some fresh foods available for him to pick through at all times. Yams, banana, slightly steamed carrots, broccoli, etc. At first they play with the food more than eat it, but if you want him to learn to eat a large of variety of fresh foods and veggies, introducing them early is the best time. As he becomes able to manage these foods, you can switch in some more raw, firmer veggies.

Tiffanylvega

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tiffany
I would have some fresh foods available for him to pick through at all times. Yams, banana, slightly steamed carrots, broccoli, etc. At first they play with the food more than eat it, but if you want him to learn to eat a large of variety of fresh foods and veggies, introducing them early is the best time. As he becomes able to manage these foods, you can switch in some more raw, firmer veggies.
My husband and one of my step daughters will take care of my birds. I cant trust them both. We are trying to find a vet in my area. He likes mangos already. Yes I am using an air tight container. I have been doing some research on the cages. I think it said to use galvanized steel for it

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't use sponges to clean food items. Use scrub brushes or washcloths/dishwasher.

My 1st lesson of having a fid.

He looks like a lilac crowned. I have their opposite a Mexican red headed.

What a cutie! Just wanted to say :hello1: & :welave: