• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft tissue injury

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
our Sun Conure “Bird” has a hurt foot. Yesterday morning when we went to let him out of his age he had trouble climbing out and I noticed his foot was swollen. No discoloration or heat. He doesn’t put weight on it unless he has to.
We took him to a Avian vet and after a X-ray it was determined Bird has a soft tissue injury. He gets metacam twice a day for pain and we have him in a special hospital cage so he doesn’t climb and reinjure it or fall and get hurt worse.
Bird is six months old. We are not sure how he hurt his foot. He is a clumsy little Conure. His tail feathers were chewed off by another bird before we brought him home and his wings were clipped by the breeder.

Today his foot is no better. Was hoping to see some improvement. He isn’t happy in the hospital cage. I have several foot toys and small toys hanging in the hospital cage but nothing for him to perch on to avoid more injuries. He has food foraging toys as well in easy reach.

Has anyone had a similar injury? How kind did it take to heal?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I'm so sorry! Poor little guy. Sounds like you're taking good care of him and doing everything right. Phone your vet and tell them there's no improvement. They'll head you in the best direction for your baby.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Hi there!

My conure recently dislocated her knee joint and is in a cast for a month. I hope after that she will get the OK from the vet to get the cast off. She's also been banished to a safe "no climbing" hospital cage and isn't happy about it.:cautious:

Im not sure about healing time for soft tissue, but it sounds like you're doing everything right by keeping him comfortable. Is there something soft lining the bottom of his cage since he doesn't have any perches?

Hope Bird recovers quickly :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he feels better soon!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would guess that foot injuries take time to heal, since they are on their feet all t he time.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:(I’m sorry his foot is injured, and I hope he feels better soon!

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
Hi there!

My conure recently dislocated her knee joint and is in a cast for a month. I hope after that she will get the OK from the vet to get the cast off. She's also been banished to a safe "no climbing" hospital cage and isn't happy about it.:cautious:

Im not sure about healing time for soft tissue, but it sounds like you're doing everything right by keeping him comfortable. Is there something soft lining the bottom of his cage since he doesn't have any perches?

Hope Bird recovers quickly :hug8:

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
We have the bottom of his cage covered with a super soft blanket that he can’t get his toes hooked in. I did add a super low flat perch for him to sit on as he is so miserable in the hospital cage. He does seem to have improved some but now he doesn’t trust me due to having to towel him to give the medicine twice a day.
I give him his favorite treats to try an win his favor back and sing to him his silly songs he loves. I hope he will forgive me with time.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the injury. Hope that he heals quickly. He'll get over being upset with having to be toweled and medicated.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
It seems odd they think it a soft tissue injury on the foot without any traumatic indication. Can you please possibly post a pic of his feet including the bottom? Maybe when you have to give him his meds?

I hope he gets better soon!

Northwinds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Pamela Hendrickson
C946C1D8-8379-424F-BD89-9997BAF11811.jpeg
It seems odd they think it a soft tissue injury on the foot without any traumatic indication. Can you please possibly post a pic of his feet including the bottom? Maybe when you have to give him his meds?

I hope he gets better soon!
He is doing much better today. The foot was swollen compared to the other one however there was no heat in it. He is using his toes today which I am happy to see.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good news!