• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft Foods

DawnMartin

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Martin
Hi! I have a one year old kakariki named Dory. She had a terrible accident with a door a week ago. She was seen by a wonderful avian vet. No breaks or cuts but some swelling in her head. She is on an anti inflammatory and is doing pretty well, active and friendly. My concern is she doesn't seem to have much strength in her beak. The vet gave us some powdered food in case she starts losing weight. She really hates being held and fed with a syringe, so I'm trying every type of soft food to keep her weight up. She's eating mostly scrambled eggs and whole wheat bread, but she really has to pull hard to get pieces off. She's had soaked monkey biscuits, chopped chicken, oatmeal, chili peppers, carrots, lentils, pasta. I even ground up some safflower seeds. She ignores it all. Any suggestions?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Dawn 1.welcome signs.gif

Have you tried soaked pellets?
Maybe tofu could be an option too?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cooked veggies (peas, corn, squash, carrots, lima beans, broccoli, etc.) mashed or pureed. Sweet potatoes cooked & mashed (pierce skin, bake in microwave 2 minutes on each side for regular size. Let cool & scoop out, mash well). To any mashed or pureed veggies you could add soaked mashed pellets as well. You could also sprinkle/mix in a little of the power food you got from the vet on any wet foods. The point is to get your bird to eat whatever it can until it's back to normal & can crack seeds again. you can keep & warm any cooked veggie 3 days in the frig. After that toss it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Cooked pasta, cooked beans and lentils, cooked and mashed veggies or just purée whatever other fresh foods your bird likes. If she’s eating less then maybe make a powder out of your pellets and sprinkle that or the stuff the vet gave you over everything she can eat.

DawnMartin

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Martin
Cooked veggies (peas, corn, squash, carrots, lima beans, broccoli, etc.) mashed or pureed. Sweet potatoes cooked & mashed (pierce skin, bake in microwave 2 minutes on each side for regular size. Let cool & scoop out, mash well). To any mashed or pureed veggies you could add soaked mashed pellets as well. You could also sprinkle/mix in a little of the power food you got from the vet on any wet foods. The point is to get your bird to eat whatever it can until it's back to normal & can crack seeds again. you can keep & warm any cooked veggie 3 days in the frig. After that toss it.
Thank you, I will try all of these. Adding the powder will give her the extra calories too.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sss thinking cooked pasta the chickpea or lentil kinds might solve some of this. There are a few others but I cannot remember them. The chickpea one is often found in organic or gluten free areas in a supermkt.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let's not forget or be afraid if sprouts...

DawnMartin

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Martin
Cooked pasta, cooked beans and lentils, cooked and mashed veggies or just purée whatever other fresh foods your bird likes. If she’s eating less then maybe make a powder out of your pellets and sprinkle that or the stuff the vet gave you over everything she can eat.
Thank you! She's been a little picky but I'll keep trying different veggies. I guess I would be picky too if I lost a fight with a door...I will definitely be sprinkling that powder over everything.

DawnMartin

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Martin
I sss thinking cooked pasta the chickpea or lentil kinds might solve some of this. There are a few others but I cannot remember them. The chickpea one is often found in organic or gluten free areas in a supermkt.
Great idea. That actually sounds delicious, she may need to share some with me!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So most sprouts are ok. There are a few that are debated around here.

I sprout all sorts of seeds & grains. There is a balance to it tho.

I try to include a base of 2/3 rds safflower, w/ the last 3rd sunflower & buckwheat then I puck different things from my list bellow to add to the base....

A few are...
Lentils (any)
Chickpeas/garbanzo beans
Black eyed peas
Brown rice
Popcorn (the real stuff, unflavored & unpipped - not microwavable)

There are actual mixes made just for birds & parrots. Many here on AA order from here. This link will take you to the area of their site w/ bird listing. There are other areas of thus site that teach you how to sprout + you have us here too!

Sprout people

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh... I remember a few lol, there’s red lentil, green peas, chickpea, buckwheat, soy- I have most of them in my cupboard lol.

DawnMartin

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Martin
So most sprouts are ok. There are a few that are debated around here.

I sprout all sorts of seeds & grains. There is a balance to it tho.

I try to include a base of 2/3 rds safflower, w/ the last 3rd sunflower & buckwheat then I puck different things from my list bellow to add to the base....

A few are...
Lentils (any)
Chickpeas/garbanzo beans
Black eyed peas
Brown rice
Popcorn (the real stuff, unflavored & unpipped - not microwavable)

There are actual mixes made just for birds & parrots. Many here on AA order from here. This link will take you to the area of their site w/ bird listing. There are other areas of thus site that teach you how to sprout + you have us here too!

Sprout people
Thank you so much!!! I have some of these in the pantry, I can't wait to try! You have been so helpful.