• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

soft eggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
well peepers first ever egg seems like its going to be a softy she is trying to pass it but i can tell it soft.... is there antthing to do? will it be able to come out on its own? the room is a little over 80 humidity is there i just sent her boys to work with feeding her calsified food robin eats it passes it to victor and he feeds it to peepers it would be funny if i wasnt so worried
help me please!

and in advance thank you

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Just a quiick question...what type of bird is peepers? how is she acting right now?
Do you have any liquid calcium?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
A budgie if I am correct.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
o sorry she is a budgie she currently doesn't seemed distressed but uncomfortable maby and i think i might have some but im not possitive i will go look

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I was just working on eggs pix's this evening to do up collages of areas in the oviduct problems can occur and the type of problems.

Below are several pix's.

The 4th pix is a very softshell egg, that got malformed as it left the uterus into the vagina prior to being expelled from the body.

The 2nd and 5th pix's are shelless eggs.

And the last pix is just another illus of a shelless egg.

Ok...if you beleive your hen has a problem, and suspect a shellss or softshell egg, she should pass something similar to these. BUT...if so, there is also a very high risk that this could cause a prolapse of the uterus, especially if it is an egg similar to the 1st and 2nd pix.

If she is mobile and moving around that is good. If the egg is softshelled it could also break inside her and she could pass something similar to the 3rd pix.

If you have any liquid calcium...like neocalglucan you can orally give her a drop. Or if you have any Calciboost you can add some to her water and if she doesn't drink feed her several drops.

Attachments

Last edited:

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
um its
premium
multi-drops
high-potency vitamin supplement

yes vary mobile going in the box for a bit and coming out to be fed and paperd and is still out and moving but it is past there bed time so i put them to bed

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If she is not distressed, just uncomfortable it may be from the egg in the uterus. average time there is 20-26 hours. This is where the body withdraws calcium from the bones, and water, salts and stuff are added to the egg prior to the shell being formed. I strongly suspect hens get labor pains and that may be why she appears uncomfortable.

My previous posting with the pix's is a worst case senario in regards to an egg. Hopefully she may lay a normal egg.

Another question...What type of lighting do you have? If you have a full-spectrum or vita light in her room that is great. I have found the use of full-spectrum lighting or access to sunlight is one of the best preventatives to hens reproductive pronblems.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, Susanne is doing a great job in this thread! I just wanted to add that a quick calcium supplement if you have no other, would be to crush a "Tums" and mix it in the birds water. Tums are not absorbed as fast as the Calciboost due to the lack of vitamin D3.

One of the liquid calcium supplements is Calciboost: Calciboost - Liquid Calcium Supplement - Just Bird Stuff

gary

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
If she is not distressed, just uncomfortable it may be from the egg in the uterus. average time there is 20-26 hours. This is where the body withdraws calcium from the bones, and water, salts and stuff are added to the egg prior to the shell being formed. I strongly suspect hens get labor pains and that may be why she appears uncomfortable.

My previous posting with the pix's is a worst case senario in regards to an egg. Hopefully she may lay a normal egg.

Another question...What type of lighting do you have? If you have a full-spectrum or vita light in her room that is great. I have found the use of full-spectrum lighting or access to sunlight is one of the best preventatives to hens reproductive pronblems.
full spectrum... and i think were getting past the 20 hour mark the little buggers been in her a wile and still no egg. still full of movment etc

Hi, Susanne is doing a great job in this thread! I just wanted to add that a quick calcium supplement if you have no other, would be to crush a "Tums" and mix it in the birds water. Tums are not absorbed as fast as the Calciboost due to the lack of vitamin D3.

One of the liquid calcium supplements is Calciboost: Calciboost - Liquid Calcium Supplement - Just Bird Stuff

gary
thnk you and yes she is

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
When my parrotlet started egg laying she layed normal eggs and then she started laying very soft shelled eggs. Unfortunately she ended up with two prolapses...but has been egg free for a while now partially due to changes in her environment and lupron shots. I also add a calcium supplement and have used tums....

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...an egg in the oviduct has several regions it goes thru...so she could be in any stage.

Below is an illus I am working on. In the next day or so I will be adding type to it. But a quick summery of the times in each region.

Prior to an egg yolk entering the oviduct it is on a cluster of folicles (sp) which each bloom into a yolk (simple terms) that is delivers into the funnel opening of the oviduct.

1...Infundiibulum consists of celi that help to move the yolk down the oviduct. Several things occur such as: fertilization (sperm travels up the oviduct), the outer yolk membrane is added, and the chalazae in the string like thingys that suspend the yolk in the egg. transit time: 1 hour

2...Magnum, this region deposits the fluids which consists of albumen, sodium, (which is why hens will crave salt prior to laying), magnesium, calcium...this material makes up the white part of the egg. transit time: 3 hours

3...Isthmus, this region forms the inner and outer inside shell membranes. transit time: 1-2 hours

4...Uterus, which is also the shell gland. The egg will get some more salts, water prior to the shell being formed.Calcium is draw from the blood flow. transit time: 20-26 hours

5...Vagina, which is very muscular and will expell the egg from the body. While in this region a cuticle is added to the outer shell. transit time: seconds

After the egg leaves the body the cooler temps will cause the inner and outer inside shell membranes to separate up near the round end of the egg to form the air cell.

Hopefully this will give you an idea of what is going inside a hen during egg formation.

I am working on another illustration that will show the areas where things could go wrong.

Attachments

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
she layed normal eggs and then she started laying very soft shelled eggs. Unfortunately she ended up with two prolapses..
------------------------------------

What mostly caused this is the egg was in the uterus region. There was not enough calcium in the bloodstream to form a good shell. Since the egg spends most of this time in this region while being formed the tissue gets dry and the shelless or soft-shelled egg would have been partially adherred to the membrane. With most prolapses it is the oviduct that is expelled out of the body.

I have found out that it does not matter how good the diet is, or how much calcium is available this can happen. The key ingredient to a hens healthy reproductive system, especially during ovulation is lighting...either access to real sunlight (not filtered thru glass) or full-spectrum lighting.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
she layed normal eggs and then she started laying very soft shelled eggs. Unfortunately she ended up with two prolapses..
------------------------------------

What mostly caused this is the egg was in the uterus region. There was not enough calcium in the bloodstream to form a good shell. Since the egg spends most of this time in this region while being formed the tissue gets dry and the shelless or soft-shelled egg would have been partially adherred to the membrane. With most prolapses it is the oviduct that is expelled out of the body.

I have found out that it does not matter how good the diet is, or how much calcium is available this can happen. The key ingredient to a hens healthy reproductive system, especially during ovulation is lighting...either access to real sunlight (not filtered thru glass) or full-spectrum lighting.
Thanks for the detailed information... it really helps to understand the process much better.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK so your saying it could just not be ready yet? vary informative illustrations
----------------------------------

Yes. Keep an eye on her. As long as she is moving around good the less likely the egg is in the uterus and bound. BUT, also watch her abdomen. Many hens will get kinda pouchy looking prior to laying, if after 2-3 days no egg and a pouchy look, it could be an indication of an ectopic egg. This is the main contributor to egg-related peritonitis. How this occurs, if you look at the ILLUS the formed yolk is over the funnel opening of the oviduct. Sometimes things can get mis-aligned and the yolk misses the funnel opening and goes into the abdominal cavity. The body reacts by adding more fluids which are noticed by an icrease and distention of the abdominal cavity. At first when examining the abdomen it will appear that the body is full of fluid thru the skin. This is called ascites. Initially, since the yolk was sterile there is now immediate infection. But movement, etc can break the yolk and it can get distributed in rare cases into the bloodstream and cause a stroke. Most times though the yolk remains in the abdominal cavity and starts to break up. The body will try to expell it through the skin which will give the skin an orangy yellow look. When this is seen the contents in the abdomin have become septic...meaning full of bacteria that can be absorbed into the bloodstream. If not corrected and treated the hen is found suddenly dead. prior to death many hens appear normal, and active. This type of condition is mistaken for egg-binding, and I've found more of the cause of hens versus true egg-binding.

Sorry for the distressing pix's. All are from my early years of breeding, and after thousands spent on vet bills I learned that the only thing that would get me past these 'untimely deaths' was good lighting.

Attachments

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
no no pics are good i need to learn now;)
and she dosnt look bumpy at all but i can feel it in her
also she's in the nest now

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
no no pics are good i need to learn now;)
and she dosnt look bumpy at all but i can feel it in her
also she's in the nest now
---------------------------------

Ah...sounds like positive news :) Hopefully you will have an egg soon :dance4:

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
ekkk she's starting to look like the last two pics im so worried now and still no egg :(

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ok...is she mobile? Is she eating and drinking? What do the droppings look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.