• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft/cushioning substrate?

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
I have two senior cockatiels - they are both approximately 16 years old - that I adopted at fourteen years old. They were from very poor care conditions so while they are old, they are old for their age, if that makes sense - they were in a very small cage with two lousy dowel perches and an atrocious diet, so they came to me with very weak feet and wings. They are in a much larger enclosure now and have strengthened a good deal in the past two years, but one has poor grip in one foot and occasionally falls to the bottom of the cage. I also have a young but slightly disabled purple headed parakeet who is missing half of a foot and occasionally falls as a consequence as well.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for soft, cushioning substrates to minimize the chance of injury during these falls. I've been using fleece, but I worry about a snagged toenail when I'm not home to catch it. Does anyone use carefresh for birds? Or some other soft substrate I'm missing out on? What have you found the pros and cons to be? Thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Would platform perches work? And my senior tiel liked to sleep on a booda comfy rope perch. As for what to put on the bottom, hopefully others will have suggestions.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
one member recommended to put a towel at the cage bottom and have the newspaper/liners over it to soften any falls- I have a 3mo. old 'tiel with a fractured wing and bad balance so we will be doing this in his new cage

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Platform perches are good and a towel with paper covering it on the bottom of the cage. There is another post about the same issue with my lovie who is having issues due to her age. I got a lot of good advice and I have a lot of stuff on the way to help my baby.

Perches for older birds | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum