• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing to other humans – is it possible?

Kima

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

I need help! I rescued a 13 year old Quaker with a plucking and self-mutilating problem, which I have gotten under control, mostly because I work at home and can be around him most of the time and collar him when I’m out, usually for short periods. He still has issues, and the one that’s causing me the most stress is he hates and is extremely aggressive to every other human. This essentially means I can’t go away, and that simply isn’t a long-term arrangement that I’m willing to live with. My mom has been living with me for the past 3 months (is moving out now) and dispute her trying to be friendly with him, he still tries to kill her every time she gets near him. To make matters more difficult, I collar him at night, so I move him into an incubator to sleep because he can’t manage the perches in a dark cage (the collar throws off his equilibrium) so as well as fed and watered, he does have to be handled.

I went away for the weekend and left him at the vets, but they just kept him in the incubator all the time and he was so bored and stressed he chewed through 3 collars and did quite a bit of damage to himself.

When I got him, he was very social and loved other people, mostly because he was being kept in a place where he was handled by lots of different people.

I know this is my fault; I’ve spoiled him by having him around me all the time and he is now so fully bonded with me that he sees all others as a threat. The thing is, I have to be at home most of the time because I work here, and ignoring him causes huge screaming tantrums which my neighbours will not tolerate on any regular basis.

I don’t know what to do! I’m not willing to give up travelling. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can deal with this situation?

Thanks in advance

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can work with getting him to accept new people, but I think with him needing to be collared at night, you still should try to board him with a professional. Maybe try another avian vet, or try to find a vet or vet tech that can board in their home (someplace where he won't just be left in his incubator).
Have you tried sweaters or soft collars that might be more comfortable?

Kima

Meeting neighbors
His collars are soft, I make them. Yes, I was thinking of a vet tech, even though he'd be alone a lot. Maybe I could start out with a day, then a few days, etc. Thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was fortunate to find a vet tech to bird sit for me. (I actually found her on Care.com but coincidentally she used to work for my vet.) She watches my tiel in our home. I have her come over on a semi-regular basis just for my tiel to stay familiar with her and be comfortable wit her so that when we do go away and it's as stress free as possible for him.

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey doesn't like other people, but doesn't attack them either. My birdsitter told me he basically turned into a frozen statue when she gave him food and water.