• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing my parrot

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Hi!

I could use some advice. I'm getting really nervous about Val ( my RB2 ) heading into hormones - even though I'm still quite far way from the real deal ( he's only a one and a half). He's already showing aggression to people that aren't me ( and me, when I don't do what he wants) . He got a family members arm bad ( nice bruise) the other day because they leaned towards me ( or that seems to be why). I'm dealing with that aggression... What I'm needing advice on is Socialization.

I want to start seriously working on socializing him with people right now because I've read socializing can help ( along with training, which I do as constantly as I remember) . Before it gets worse. )I know for my family , I'll have to leave the room most likely for them to work with him successfully.

But how do I socialize him with strangers/ people I know he doesn't know? I know him just seeing new people is only a tiiiny fraction of it all. How do you safely and positively get your bird to interact with others?

Val goes on walks in a carrier sometimes ( so he's been casually meeting new people occasionally) , today he met my neighbors and their children. He was scared but seemed to warn up to the husband and mumbled a bit ( which surprised me because he isn't the best with men ( he hates my father) ). This was good- but he isn't harness trained yet ( I plan to ) so there really wasn't that much interaction..

I could really use ideas, experiences, thoughts - anything- on socializing him. Also anything else on prepping him ( and me aha) for hormones! I just want this silly bratty pink bird to have the best and most rounded life possible. He's my first too, and first large bird, so I'm so scared of fumbling with him. I'm around so many cockatoos at the sanctuary I volunteer at, I'm not letting him ever be one of those birds.... I just won't.

( also yes, so there are no misunderstandings- I understand a level of aggression is inevitieble when he hits hormones )

Thanks ahead of time :) I've been driving myself mad with overthinking things... I figured you all might have the answers ;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Your best bet is clicker training. Positive reinforcement for traded behaviors. We have another member on here with a male Galah, Mr Bubbles who did wonders with him by training him with clicker training and positive reinforcement. You can search for the word "bubbles" and you should find some of her threads as well as just looking for threads on clicker training. There are also books out there you can buy that are invaluable, Clicker Traing For Birds is the one that comes to mind right away and comes as a kit as well with everything you need to get started. You should be able to find it on Amazon.com. Good luck!

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@jmfleish

Thank you so much!

I'm reading those threads right now about Mr. Bubbles and having major déjà vu ! Sounds scarily similar to Val. I'm feeling less crazy haha.

I've been doing some clicker training for tricks and basic commands but beyond that I wasn't sure how to apply it to his behavior. He loves training and picks up stuff very quickly. I'm going to do more research on AA and pick up a book : ) Anything for my boy!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I would suggest joining The Parrot Project by Lara Joseph
She helps with all of the behaviour problems as a group. You have access to all her videos and support via a FB group, private

Projects - The Animal Behavior Center