• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing eclectus female

pubbykid

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
vincent
I recently got a 5 month old female Eclectus, currently, her wings are clipped from the breeder but I am going to be letting them grow out, with this and the cranky nature of ladies how do I socialize her ? I am familiar with how to socialize birds in general but due to female Eclectus having a more defensive attitude I don't want to make her hate me for me using the wrong methods or being too hands-on! currently, I am giving her plenty free roam time and whenever I am in the room I will let her out and play music that engages her. I have only picked her up when she was in the ground after attempting to fly somewhere else in my room or with a perch to take her out of her cage when I needed to transport her. Does anyone have any tips ? should I be more hands-on or am I doing the right thing to try to let her come to me first ? she is a very confident bird and she started coming out of the cage by herself and exploring my room very quickly.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
As long as you are moving at her pace, I say go for it! My girl never flew until this year, so people are taxis for her. She particularly enjoys being within sight of activities, and I can discern the things that capture her fancy and repeat those for her enjoyment. Definitely offer as many new opportunities as you can...and then offer them again...and then again, so you can get a good read on whether she's nervous about something new or simply doesn't enjoy it. **Then be prepared for her to change her mind about everything you think you know. <- this will be key, for the rest of her life...** Hold this pattern through every aspect, and you will have a very good skill set to read her reactions to things. I wouldn't worry about the stereotypes until you and she experience them. It will be important to shift your methods during hormone surges, and it will be helpful to start now with techniques that prevent nesting behaviors...setting those boundaries early will help both of you. Bond, bond, bond! Tea was a huge success here, and it's a special (almost) daily thing for us hormones or not since it's relatively hands free. If she can get used to basic handling, especially things that make doctor's appointments and grooming easier and low stress, you will be very glad about that effort as time goes by.

Have fun! They know when you're having a good time, and will be more likely to want to join in the fun.