• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Socializing cockatiel chick

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I have a 12 day old cockatiel chick I have been hand rearing since it hatched. (Parents were neglecting/abusing it, and killed the other chick in the brood. Posted under the cockatiel section).

Our focus has been keeping it alive and growing, and so far that's worked! Now when it sees me or my husband it cries for food, I was wondering when and how to start socializing it? It's feathers are just coming in now.

Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was wondering when and how to start socializing it?
Do you mean, when to introduce to other birds?
That would be once your chick fledges.

Remember chicks in the nest only see their parents and clutchlings until they fledge. It´s not normal for them to see other birds. Hearing yes, but interacting with, no.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Thanks!
I also just meant with us. I had read other threads about having wild hand fed birds if they weren't socialized with us. Just taken out of the brooder to feed and put back. At what point is it safe to take them out interact with them more?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ah ok! When they are fully feathered is the best time because they can regulate their body temperature on their own. They will be ok before then when they are almost fully feathered, but remember to return them to warmth prompty to avoid them getting cold.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle