• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soba and Me’s progress report...

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Tonight before getting ready for bed i went to go feed Soba a treat (dropped in his bowl)...

And he seemed to kinda waddle over to me! (It was at a distance, on a perch) I’m probably misreading this as progress because he may have just been trying to waddle in the opposite direction to where I was coming from.. but he stayed when I opened the cage door. I couldn’t see much due to the no eye contact thing, but I think he was kinda excited to see a treat was coming? He didn’t take as long as usual to do the sneaky sneak to The treat dish. He does this adorable slow approach and stop thing.. like he’s making sure I’m not watching.. it means he’s still nervous, but I think it’s still cute in a way.. >:0

misinterpretation or not, it still makes me happy about possible progress!!

Now, With my anxiety issues (yes.. not a good thing to have around a bird, I know, and I feel terrible about it, but I really thought that i had better control before I got him and that I had gotten better with this in general.) I found that it helps to redirect my attention to some needle felting videos while he’s eating outside the cage (on his open cage door on his treat bowl)They are both quiet and fun to watch.. Really stops the tension from excitement anxiety. He didn’t hang around there but he didn’t leave until he was finished the little chunk I gave him. Little butt even took the time to toss the twig thing from it out of the bowl and onto the floor when he was done >_>

I will be getting help with these anxiety issues but a bit of an explanation from me being too self-aware. I’ve been finding that literally anything can trigger anxiety for me. It doesn’t have to be constant thinking or worries or something scary. Literally anything. I can be excited about something but my body likes to make it confusing and turn it into a not so nice feeling, and makes everything all shaky for me (especially hands). As an example, This makes it especially hard for me to receive a gift and give the appropriate response (really hard for me to be happy? I’d be happy and grateful later but it’s like my brain kinda shuts off in the moment where I should be happy and grateful and excited, but I feel anything but that. And the response to that person is often forced... It feels fake to me?)

Nothing bad happened with me and Soba related to this issue other than a night fright episode where I temporarily forgot that he’s not tamed and that he doesn’t know me... and in my panic, I resorted to me talking softly to him and staring to make sure he’s okay which was an even a bigger scary to him (good information but for those with untamed birds that they just brought home... If they happen to have a night fright and you as a worried, scared sh*tless parront come to their rescue... Just turn on the lights. Don’t stare at them unless you notice he’s bleeding and severely injured and don’t talk, sing or whistle to them.. It’s scary for them, especially when they are already in panic mode and don’t know you as not a threat yet.)

Yikes, back to my anxiety issues I should mention that he does pick up on it sometimes when I approach the cage (sometimes my hands will shake when I go to open the door.. (I’m getting better at preventing it though), in which I’ll often take a step back to calm down a bit.. Which usually works but sometimes he’ll remain cautious and nervous when I try again.. Even though I’m no longer anxious. I hate my brain.. I’m not a child but this stuff makes me feel like it. It’s like I have no control over my own emotions sometimes.. I usually have positive emotions around animals, but it’s a bit different with soba? They are super positive around him but it’s like I feel both excited and slightly pressured?

I don’t have panic attacks. my anxiety is bad but not bad enough for everything to be uncontrollable. I can control my breathing to be normal breathing and I find that I can relax certain parts of my body if I focus hard enough. So other than shaky hands, my body language and movements are pretty calm. I try not to approach when I’m feeling this way though. Sometimes it flares when I’m halfway to the cage, in which I’ll stop and turn around and go do something else until it’s gone. It also likes to flare when changing food dishes, though the more I do it the less it’s happening.. I still feel terrible though.

So.. More embarrassing information about me. But some exciting information about soba! Also soba is around 9 months now! Still hoping and dreading a molt to come soon. I really hope he didn’t already have it yet... I want him to fly again :(

End of first progress report. <3

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I feel for you :hug8:Any progress is good, no matter how small!:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
One of the best things I think I did with my first cockatiel was sit by his cage and read to him. I know it sounds silly. But you're not looking at him. So it's not threatening to him. But he's getting to get used to your voice and presence. It worked well for us. And it's good that you're taking things slow with him and letting him advance at his pace. :)

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
also I can’t edit my post for some reason.. But I wanted to clarify since I realize my anxiety description is very confusing (hard to explain?)..

here’s another way I would put it in a short summary: Basically my brain likes to misinterpret calm and happy to “I should be shaky for absolutely no reason at all.. and make life harder for you!” that is exaggerated a bit but it’s kinda like that. I have no idea what it is.

I’m just as lost as you about this, Maybe I should have left this out until I could understand it better myself. I apologize for any possible confusion.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
One of the best things I think I did with my first cockatiel was sit by his cage and read to him. I know it sounds silly. But you're not looking at him. So it's not threatening to him. But he's getting to get used to your voice and presence. It worked well for us. And it's good that you're taking things slow with him and letting him advance at his pace. :)
thank you! I’ve been doing that everyday <3
I found out that he likes the song “Memories” by maroon5 at a low volume by doing this (reading and listening to music) :D

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Another soba update.. I’m basically gonna use this thread to share my findings or use it as a journal for me and Soba ^^

I think Soba likes when I do laundry? I think he’s genuinely just curious, so I must either be very good at folding clothes.. Or I could just be really bad at it so it’s entertaining for him xD

anyways, I’ve found that he moves to his food dish (closest thing to the front of the cage, because I need it there for easy and quick access for food changes...) whenever I’m doing laundry and just sits there and watches me. Of course he’s a bit alert but there was a point in time that he started beak grinding and he looked very relaxed. If I take a long time doing it, he will move back and forth from the food dish to a perch, as if he loses interest and then later regains it. If it’s not that, he’s climbing around the cage occasionally front of the cage occasionally. In fact, I find that if I’m doing anything like that, he gets curious. He doesn’t leave the cage yet and probably won’t for awhile because of the incident where he couldn’t get back into the cage (he also can’t fly.. I’m trying to coax him to climb to the top of the cage. So far it’s a no go) Sometimes he’ll eat too (hopefully not nervous eating.. Same with beak grinding.. Still learning his behaviours and silent body language.. lol).

mxmtoons music and meditation music is good for the both of us as well ^^

Edit: yes I’m very active today..Not much going on so I’m a bit bored >~<

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Sound like ya'll are getting along just fine:)
Whenever I get anxious I just remind myself everything's going to be okay. And some days, all you can do is make sure their needs are met and nothing more. And that's okay

Also, can we have some Soba pics please???:ashamed1:

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I seem to have gotten myself into a strange predicament. Good news, Soba is literally sleeping next to me in his cage. His beak is buried into his back Floof. The bad? I can’t move. I wasn’t watching the time and was playing video games next to him (The new raja dragons game), I didn’t even notice he was asleep until I looked at the time and took a glance over at him.

You see, My chair is squeaky. If I get up while he’s that close to me and sleeping.. I’m pretty sure he’ll wake up and think I’m trying to eat him. It’s 12:31 am. Why?

Edit: I’m hoping this means progress though? He’s never say that close before! Let alone sleep next to me

Last edited:

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I don’t think I want to move if I’m being honest, This is honestly the most precious moment ever with him! Though I think it’d be better if I turned the lights off and went to bed myself. I know that birds don’t sleep very well with light and I don’t want that to affect his sleep. I’m also afraid that he’ll possibly wake up regardless and forget I’m there, which could cause a panic with him. :(

should I wake him by speaking softly and gently or something, or might that scare him? I know that just getting up with his guard down like that will be scary for him also. :/

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Good luck. Just wait till they fall asleep on you