• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soaked pellets

srkn77

Sitting on the front steps
Hello there,

I have just received the pellets and my first try was mixing just a little with the seeds but I noticed that they picked them up and dump them down the cage.

My second try was today, soaking them in water. I didn’t mash them, neither did let them get pulpy, they were just softened/damped in water and the result is bingo! They ate half the (tbs) pellets in the feeder.

I got very happy to see them eat the pellets though they were not dry. What would you recommend me to go from here? Keep soaking the pellets or try another way? Is it ok and still nutritious to feed them with soaked pellets for a long time, if they keep prefering them this way?

By the way, we had an appointment with the vet this morning and all is well.

Thank you all.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I would do the same as Mizzely. I did this with budgies before and eventually they would eat them dry. Keep in mind that pellets that are moistened should be treated like fresh food and replaced after a couple hours. You can leave dry ones in all day.

Once wet they can go bad if not eaten within a few hours.

srkn77

I would do the same as Mizzely. I did this with budgies before and eventually they would eat them dry. Keep in mind that pellets that are moistened should be treated like fresh food and replaced after a couple hours. You can leave dry ones in all day.

Once wet they can go bad if not eaten within a few hours.
Correct. They were like a cracker in a couple of hours and I took them out.

birdsoup

Real Name
Emmy
Hello there,

I have just received the pellets and my first try was mixing just a little with the seeds but I noticed that they picked them up and dump them down the cage.

My second try was today, soaking them in water. I didn’t mash them, neither did let them get pulpy, they were just softened/damped in water and the result is bingo! They ate half the (tbs) pellets in the feeder.

I got very happy to see them eat the pellets though they were not dry. What would you recommend me to go from here? Keep soaking the pellets or try another way? Is it ok and still nutritious to feed them with soaked pellets for a long time, if they keep prefering them this way?

By the way, we had an appointment with the vet this morning and all is well.

Thank you all.
Hey there,Quaker mom over here, at first we had a hamster water bowl because that’s what the store was giving him, and found he would not eat his pellets. Soon, however, we replaced the water bowl as he began to refuse water as well, and as soon as we did he began soaking the pellets on his own before eating them! Although a little gross and harder to clean, it got him to eat and drink, as well as teaching him important foraging-like skills :D